Ten Favorite Criterion Collection Titles?

Tools    

Oh please do. Having seen three Teshigahara's since my first list, I would easily swap-in Woman in the Dunes for for Mystery Train even though I seem to like the latter film more and more with each re-watch (2).

A system of cells interlinked
Both worth a watch tho, yes? It seems Netflix has put the entire Criterion Collection up on streaming...

There is much rejoicing to be had!

(yaaaaaaaay)

I think there was something which made me feel uneasy from the whole experience of it. You can say it was difficult emotionally. Somehow i feel that being forced to shovel sand alone is quite sad ...

It's much more depressing than Sansho the bailiff ,which is one of my favourite films.

If you go to criterion.com you find the site of the distribution company releasing some of the better films of cinematic history whom also have lists of directors and other relevant people picking their personal top 10 (usually more) picks of what the criterion collection has released. That's what we did here, and it's probably a good way to pop your criterion cherry if you haven't yet by looking at the first two pages for your favorite user and watching his picks.

I have naked . It was the superb movie. Specially specially i could not remember the acting skills of actor.He really did justice with his job.

Funny, I've seen a bunch more titles since my initial post in here, but those titles still stand fast with me. (Maybe impulsiveness can be revealing of one's true passions?) Just can't swap out Mystery Train. That little film gets to me so much.

Hopefully B&N has another 50% off sale in July so I can buy more. Planet stop recommending me stuff I still have to finish your Thai god and all that anime...and Twin Peaks

I think my list would change, though half of it is still the same

Dog Star Man's Picks & Reviews

By Brakhage: An Anthology, (Volumes I & II)

I believe it was Brian Frye who stated:

"If Maya Deren invented the American avant-garde cinema, Stan Brakhage realized its potential. Unquestionably the most important living avant-garde filmmaker, Brakhage single-handedly transformed the schism separating the avant-garde from classical filmmaking into a chasm."

This is true. While other avant-garde filmmakers were making advancements in films "narrative" format. Using standard means of editing and filming... Brakhage was taking the medium to it's highest level. There is a debate on the term, "avant-garde", one of a more political nature... in which case Brakhage was more "experimental". To have the insight, and the sheer pioneering curiosity, of taking film outside it's medium, a camera, is unquestionably bold. The grand experiment of taking a strip of film out, painting on it, adding moth wings, flowers, baking it in the oven, etc. There was no limit for Brakhage. Thus in doing so, it would seem to me he has single-handedly liberated not only himself, but myself as well. I am now curious to see how far this medium can go.

...The rest to come later.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Hey guise what's going on in this thr-

AWWW SH*T. Brak attack.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Speaking of which, I absolutely adore Spirit of the Beehive. It's quiet unfolding has all the characteristics I love about a film, both visually and formally. It could easily go on my list.

I think I like films like that because they can be comprehended through a very simple set of variables. That's why I like Tsai so much (who is woefully absent from Criterion!)

It also stretches what it means for film to be a visual medium as opposed to a literary one.

Need to see more films of similar type though. Maybe the novelty will wear off.

Speaking of which, I absolutely adore Spirit of the Beehive. It's quiet unfolding has all the characteristics I love about a film, both visually and formally. It could easily go on my list.

My favourite Spanish film. (not that ive seen many) Though many consider Viridiana as the (best?) Spanish film.

It's definitely on my top 50 favourite films.

Aye. Spanish language film is an empty hole of mystery for me. Have barely seen any. Maybe three. I'm thinking Pans Labyrinth and Y Tu Mama Tambien as well as this one. Nothing else comes to mind AT ALL. Maybe a film in high school Spanish class that I've since forgot (because it was crappy).

Wow, for someone living in a country where Spanish is ALMOST its second language, I've watched no films of that language. This is a travesty.