My Favorite Goldie Hawn Performances

Tools    

She started her career as a dancer in Vegas and eventually made her film debut as a dancer in a Disney musical called The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band which also featured her future common law husband Kurt Russell. She had a supporting role on a CBS sitcom called Good Morning World, but it wasn't until she took her giggly persona to an NBC variety series called Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In that people really started to take notice of her. She proved quickly that the dumb blonde persona that put her on the map was just an act. She won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 1969 for her first speaking role in Cactus Flower and by the 1980's, she was the queen of movie comedies. She has two children who are following in Mom's footsteps. When I was a kid, I secretly wished she was my mother. In 2017 returned to the big screen for the first time in 15 years. I will never stop wishing for a renaissance in her career a la Michael Keaton. Anyway, here come my favorite performances of the awesome Goldie Hawn:

Mona, Town & Country

Hawn was part of an impressive all-star cast as a wealthy suburban housewife who has just learned that her husband (the late Garry Shandling) has been cheating on her. This was also the third film in which she appeared with Warren Beatty.

Amanda Quaid/Duchess Swansbury, The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox

Goldie was the best thing about this forgettable western comedy about a female con who finds herself mixed up with a professional card shark (George Segal).

Suzette, The Banger Sisters

Goldie and Susan Sarandon play former rock groupies who reconnect after 25 years and find they are not the same people they were 25 years ago. It's not a great movie, but the chemistry between Hawn and Sarandon is solid.

Steffi, Everyone Says I Love You

Goldie made her first appearance in a Woody Allen movie playing the liberal minded matriarch of a wealthy upper west side family who shocks her family when she invites an ex-con (Tim Roth) to their home for dinner who falls for her engaged daughter (Drew Barrymore).

I really liked her in Everyone Says I Love You. It's a really sweet film and Drew is adorable in it, but Goldie is wonderful, too.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I love Goldie Hawn. She's beautiful, funny and charming. I wish to watched her more often in a movies made recently.

Sunny, Protocol

This film would have been unwatchable with anyone but Goldie in the lead. She plays a Washington DC waitress who accidentally prevents the assassination of a foreign dignitary which lands her a important government job she really isn't qualified for. As improbable as everything that happens here is, Goldie makes it somewhat believable.

Kay Walsh, Swing Shift

One of Goldie's most underrated performances was in this charming period piece as the married woman whose husband (Ed Harris) goes off to war, she becomes Rosie the Riveter and begins an affair with a sexy musician (Kurt Russell). Yes, this was the film where Goldie and Kurt reconnected for the first time after they worked together when Kurt was just a kid. Goldie and Kurt have been together ever since.

Paula McCullen, Best Friends

A nearly forgotten film on Goldie's resume...she plays a Hollywood screenwriter whose longterm live in relationship with another screenwriter named Richard Babson (Burt Reynolds) is thrown a major kink when Richard asks Paula to marry him.

Elise Elliott, The First Wives Club

[

Goldie plays an actress who is reunited with college buddies (Diane Keaton, Bette Midler) and learns that all their husbands have left them for younger women and plot revenge on them.

Gwen, Housesitter

Goldie appears to be having a ball playing a recently fired waitress who moves into a house belonging to an architect (Steve Martin) who actually built the house for his ex-fiancee (Dana Delany).

Linda Middleton, Snatched

Hawn returned to the big screen after a 15 year absence playing a woman who accompanies her daughter (Amy Shumer) on a trip to South America and shortly after their arrival, mother and daughter are kidnapped. Hawn was the best thing about this hot mess of a movie.

Gloria Mundy, Foul Play

Goldie teamed for the first time with Chevy Chase in this Hitchcockian satire about a librarian who finds herself accidentally involved in a plot to assassinate the visiting Pope. This film also was one of the first film apperances by the late Dudley Moore.

Toni Simmons, Cactus Flower

Goldie surprised everyone by winning the 1969 Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in this film version of an Abe Burrows play. She plays an aging flower child who is dating a much older dentist (Walter Matthau) who is really in love with his devoted assistant (Ingrid Bergman) but in deep denial about it.

Molly McGrath, Wildcats

Goldie gave one of her most underrated performances playing a high school girls track coach who finally gets her chance to fulfill her dream as football coach at a tough inner city high school. This film featured future stars Wesley Snipes, Mykel T. Williamson, and Woody Harrelson as members of Goldie's team.

Joanna Stayton, Overboard

Goldie plays a millionairess who hires a contractor (Kurt Russell) to do some work on her yacht and when she is not pleased with the work, she stiffs him. She later falls off of her yacht and has amnesia. The contractor exacts revenge on her by picking her up at the hospital claiming she is his wife and having her come home and cook and clean for him and his four unruly sons. The chemistry between Goldie and Kurt in this movie was off the chain.