TokeZa's Top 50 of the decade so far

→ in
Tools    

I've only seen four of these so far. Three I like, one I dislike.

Yay for The Grandmaster, Hugo, and Moonrise Kingdom!

Nay for The Act of Killing.

A lot of those films I haven't seen look gorgeous. I need to see more movies.
Im surprised that you dislike The Act of Killing, can i ask you howcome? Imo its nothing special in terms of aesthetics, but in terms of narrative and composition it blew my mind. As a former history student and a big fan of Zygmunt Bauman - "Modernity and Holocaust", The Act of Killing was and is a very important film on the subject (Such as Shoah for instance). While the movie nearly gets to absurd, i still think it manages to give a thoughtful and relevant input on the subject of genocide.

Of the films i have mentioned i think you will particularly like The Assassin, Embrace of the Serpent, Son of Saul and Beyond the Hills

25:

Goodbye to Language 3D (2014) by Jean-Luc Godard

24:

Mysteries of Lisbon (2010) by Raoul Ruiz

23:

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) by George Miller

22:

Tuesday, After Christmas (2010) by Radu Muntean

21:

A Touch of Sin (2013) by Jia Zhang-ke

I did not like Moonrise Kingdom the first time I watched it, but liked it a lot the second time. It seems that I needed to acquire a taste for director Anderson.

Not a Fury Road fan.

Let the night air cool you off
Im surprised that you dislike The Act of Killing, can i ask you howcome? Imo its nothing special in terms of aesthetics, but in terms of narrative and composition it blew my mind. As a former history student and a big fan of Zygmunt Bauman - "Modernity and Holocaust", The Act of Killing was and is a very important film on the subject (Such as Shoah for instance). While the movie nearly gets to absurd, i still think it manages to give a thoughtful and relevant input on the subject of genocide.
It was just awkward and uncomfortable for me. I didn't like the way they basically played around and made fools out of these evil men. Maybe we should applaud the way they get these guys to do silly things and humanize them, but to me it felt like it wasn't taking these guys seriously. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. The biggest difference we have is that I don't think it gives a thoughtful input on the subject of genocide.

It was just awkward and uncomfortable for me. I didn't like the way they basically played around and made fools out of these evil men. Maybe we should applaud the way they get these guys to do silly things and humanize them, but to me it felt like it wasn't taking these guys seriously. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. The biggest difference we have is that I don't think it gives a thoughtful input on the subject of genocide.
I actually think this is why the film is so strong. I can understand why it makes you uncomfortable but imo this is why this an extremely important film.

20:

Tangerine (2015) by Sean Baker

19:

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) by Nuri Bilge Ceylan

18:

Amour (2012) by Michael Haneke

17:

A Separation (2011) by Asghar Farhadi

16:

Faust (2011) by Aleksandr Sokurov

Mad Max: Fury Road and Tangerine were good. A Separation would be my #2 of the decade so far. Amour was powerful and had great performances but it was just too depressing and horrific for me to actually enjoy it. It's a very good film, not something i actually like though.

Imo its nothing special in terms of aesthetics, but in terms of narrative and composition it blew my mind. As a former history student and a big fan of Zygmunt Bauman - "Modernity and Holocaust",
Such a shame that Bauman died last month. He was due to give a speech on'The Importance of Social Theory for Legal Science' at the Institute where I work. A real loss.

Anyway good list so far, I'm intrigued by 'Stemple Pass' (2012). What is it? What's it about?

Master of My Domain
I think its one of the more thoughtfull childrens movies of this decade. Closely followed by Inside Out, which i also really like
Inside Out too? You sir have great taste.

Out of the films you chose I'm definitely interested in seeing The Assassin.

I've only seen Moonrise Kingdom and Mad Max: Fury Road. Curious to check out the rest of this, mainly to see if there's one a couple more I've actually seen!

Such a shame that Bauman died last month. He was due to give a speech on'The Importance of Social Theory for Legal Science' at the Institute where I work. A real loss.

Anyway good list so far, I'm intrigued by 'Stemple Pass' (2012). What is it? What's it about?

Its a pretty radical documentary on Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski aka. The Unabomber. Its a shot of a replica of the unabombers cabin, shot with a static camera, one shot for each season, while Benning (as the unabomber) reads from the unabombers journal.

Pretty intense!

Hou Hsiao-Hsien is one of the big masters of Taiwanese Cinema, im not sure i would start with the Assassin, but its probably his most mainstream film to date

If you want to dive into his filmopgraphy i would start with A Time to Live, a Time to Die (1985), which is one of the big films of the eighties in arthouse territory.

Its a pretty radical documentary on Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski aka. The Unabomber. Its a shot of a replica of the unabombers cabin, shot with a static camera, one shot for each season, while Benning (as the unabomber) reads from the unabombers journal.

Pretty intense!
That sounds pretty cool, I'll try to track down a copy.

I guess if i had to make a top 3 of childrens movies the last years it would be something like this:

1. Hugo
2. Inside Out
3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Closely followed by Zootopia

All of those i find pretty imaginative. Though Hugo takes the prize ímo, while it also being an ode to cinema and A Trip to the Moon

The Assassin was good, but I didn't think it was THAT good. I gave it
. I thought the camera-work was fantastic, and loved the scenary and use of wind, but the plot was a bit confusing and the peasants costumes were too clean. I'm curious TokeZa, what did you liked so much about it? I mean, since you didn't give a write-up at all, I'm dying to hear your thoughts.

Master of My Domain
Hou Hsiao-Hsien is one of the big masters of Taiwanese Cinema, im not sure i would start with the Assassin, but its probably his most mainstream film to date
I've seen A City of Sadness and liked it. Also, thanks for the rec in your earlier post.

The Assassin was good, but I didn't think it was THAT good. I gave it
. I thought the camera-work was fantastic, and loved the scenary and use of wind, but the plot was a bit confusing and the peasants costumes were too clean. I'm curious TokeZa, what did you liked so much about it? I mean, since you didn't give a write-up at all, I'm dying to hear your thoughts.

Im inclined to agree with your views. The story is simple and ok, but what i think is good about The Assassin is especially the camera work and the use of locations. The whole film is beautifully framed imo. While it is not a timeless masterpiece, i still think its one of the essential films of this decade. BTW i also rate it

Since A Separation is #17, I wonder if you've had a chance to check out The Salesman yet.

No, unfortunately not. I saw The Past a few years ago and werent entirely impressed, still a good movie though.