TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!
I did exist in the 80's and I also pretend they didn't happen.

I read an article a while back describing The Silence of the Lamb's genre as a sort of generational schism, where older viewers described it as horror and younger viewers described it as a thriller. It basically made the argument that genre is more context than anything.
Depending on the definition of older and younger and the time they're referring to, it's possible I'd argue it the other way around. Actually, in my experience, it's more to do with which side of the Atlantic you stand than anything else. I'd never heard it referred to as a horror film until the early 2000's and internet discussions about it.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Depending on the definition of older and younger and the time they're referring to, it's possible I'd argue it the other way around. Actually, in my experience, it's more to do with which side of the Atlantic you stand than anything else. I'd never heard it referred to as a horror film until the early 2000's and internet discussions about it.
If I remember correctly, the article was written by a college professor, reflecting on how his generation remember it as the first horror movie to sweep the main five categories at the Oscars, while his students increasingly view it as a thriller. I don't remember when it was originally published, but I would guess sometime in the 2000s.

Just out of curiosity, how would you say that each side of the Atlantic views the film?

I'm in the UK and I hadn't heard it called a horror film until the 2000's. I would say that every N.American I spoke to about it spoke/thought/classified it as a horror film. Now I regularly hear it spoken of as a horror film, but the whole generation has been 'Americanised' to a far greater degree than my generation was. However, I don't know if they actually think of it as a horror film or whether that's simply how it's categorised.

78. Camille Claudel 1915 (2013) by Bruno Dumont

An unconventional biopic (stripped down to only 3 days) by Bruno Dumont tells a tale of alienation and oppression of the French artist Camille Claudel, confined to a mental asylum by her own family. Juliette Binoche gives an astounding performance as a human being deprived of nearly everything, but in particular the creation of art. The film is the best experience i have had with Bruno Dumont so far.

77. Rome, Open City (1945) by Roberto Rossellini

As far as i understand it, a defining movie for the Italian Neorealist movement but more importantly it is a well told melodrama about the Nazi occupation of Rome. A very emotional moving film for me.

It's not me, that's what it was. I honestly can't remember anyone referring to The Terminator as an action movie until a few years after T2. It's as if it became an action film by association. In ye olde days, when people rented videotapes from actual, physical shops, I can't remember it ever being in any section other than Thriller or Sci-Fi.

Because of its slasher conventions, as Arcanis highlighted in his post, I'd think of it as a horror film long before I got to action.
I see, so I am beginning to love horror more than I imagined. I have several horrors in my top 100 now.

There again, these were the days when The Silence Of The Lambs was a psychological thriller, Aliens was an action/war film and someone would've laughed in your face if you'd described Se7en as a horror film. I'm just old skool. Correct. But old skool.
Aliens is regarded today as what?

I see, so I am beginning to love horror more than I imagined. I have several horrors in my top 100 now.
There are plenty of slasher/horror conventions played out in other genres, not that that makes those films horror films, IMO. As I said, The Terminator is a sci thriller, however, like Alien, it works along slasher conventions almost perfectly. Had Sigourney been blonde in Alien, I think that would've capped it.

Aliens is regarded today as what?
Sadly, it seems to be seen as a horror film. It's even on the MoFo horror 100. I blame the N. Americans.

76. Spirited Away (2001) by Hayao Miyazaki

I am not that well-versed in animation film than other MoFo's but this is one i have seen several times and i really enjoy revisiting it. I also like Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Miyazaki though i dont have the same history with them as i have with this one.

75. Videodrome (1983) by David Cronenberg

God i love this film! The epitome of David Cronenbergs body horror. With it themes of (over) stimulation and disconnection between body, mind and media, this hallucinatory horror still has its relevance today.

74. Orpheus (1950) by Jean Cocteau

Based on the myth of Orpheus, but set in modern day France, this surrealist film explores themes of artistic expression, while also being a "romantic" film about passion.

I like Spirited Away - not as much as some other Miyazaki films but it's good. Been thinking about re-watching it actually. I've never seen Videodrome - mainly because a less mature version of myself always thought he wouldn't understand it Time I watched it. Not seen Orpheus but have added it to my watchlist.

I like Spirited Away - not as much as some other Miyazaki films but it's good. Been thinking about re-watching it actually. I've never seen Videodrome - mainly because a less mature version of myself always thought he wouldn't understand it Time I watched it. Not seen Orpheus but have added it to my watchlist.
The whole Orpheus trilogy by Jean Cocteau is good, and is recommendable.

I really hope you enjoy Videodrome!

Long live the new flesh!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."