TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

94. Outer Space (2000) by Peter Tscherkassky

Outer Space by Peter Tscherkassky was a movie that opened my eyes to experimental movies, especially short films. It's very intriguing to watch if you don't suffer from epileptic seizures. Essentially its a cutup of an existing movie, The Entity, and its an all-round attack on our senses.

93. The Limits of Control (2009) by Jim Jarmusch

The Limits of Control is my favorite Jim Jarmusch film. It is in my opinion the best piece of art that Jarmusch have made. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful. I would also like to mention another Jarmusch film, Dead Man, which could easily have made my list, but didn't make the cut. Those two are some of the best American movies in the last decades, that i have seen.

Very surprised that Limits of Control is your favourite Jarmusch, though I have not seen it yet! I'd put Dead Man at the top, followed by Stranger Than Paradise (another fantastic Jarmusch) and Down By Law.

I'm kind of at the start of a 'Jarmusch marathon' and while reading about the director, I noticed that this is his least acclaimed film (together with his debut, Permanent Vacation), so I am also surprised that this makes your top 100. I'll check it out in the near future and hopefully my response is as positive as yours.

Awesome list so far, by the way!

I think it has something like 43% on rotten tomatoes... but i also think that it has something to do about it being his least accessible film. Again, together, with Dead Man, i think its his most beautiful work of art.

My Jim Jarmusch List from top to bottom:
The Limits of Control (2009)
Dead Man (1995)
Mystery Train (1989)
Stranger Than Paradise (1984)
Night on Earth (1991)
Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)
Down by Law (1986)
Permanent Vacation (1980)
Broken Flowers (2005)

Plus rep for The Limits of Control! A beautiful film with a very beautiful woman who shows up naked on multiple occasions.

92. Viridiana (1961) by Luis Buñuel

I actually haven seen that many Buñuel films but this one is one of my favorites that i have seen. There are many good scenes from this film, but i think my favorite is the Last Supper scene with all the degenerates.

91. The Tenant (1976) by Roman Polanski

The last part of the apartment trilogy by Polanski is a hair gripping psychological thriller about paranoia and merging identities.

Let the night air cool you off
I've seen Outer Space, and I don't think that style of experimental film is for me. At least not yet, I may see it again in a few years and it could click. Viridiana is great, and a reminder that I need to see more Bunuel flicks.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Outer Space will poke out your eyes! Literally.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

90. The Sacrifice (1986) by Andrei Tarkovskij

A unique collaboration between Tarkovskij and Swedish cinematographer Sven Nykvist (also used by Ingmar Bergman and Louis Malle). The film consists of very beautiful long takes on the Swedish island of Gotland. While its not Tarkovskijs best film, it is still a very good movie.

Mahanagar aka. The Big City (1963) by Satyajit Ray

As number 89 we have an Indian melodrama about tradition versus modernity, changing cultural values and the importance of indepence. A very intriguing picture by the indian master director Satyajit Ray.

88. Beau Travail (1999) by Claire Denis

Claire Denis is one of my favorite french directors making movies today. This is French Arthouse at its best. Set in Africa in The French Foreign Legion with homoerotic undertones and an absoulety sublime ending. What is not to like!

87. Leviathan (2012) by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Verena Paravel

I was a rather big fan of their former documentary called "Sweetgrass", which was about the last cowboys in Montana travelling 300 miles over the mountains. In Leviathan they focus on a North-Atlantic trawler and basically that's what the film is about. A movie about a trawler seems pretty dull, but the non-linear and non-narrative style, combined with beautiful images makes it all worth wile. If you are interested in a documentary that in itself is an artfilm and which does not follow conventional film making i can only recommend it. NPR critic Stephanie Zacharek suggests that an alternative title for the movie could be "David Lynch, Gone Fishin'"

86. The Empire Strikes Back (1980) by Irvin Kershner

A childhood favorite and the best film of the series. The Empire Strikes Back is an epic tale of good versus evil.

85. Faust (2011) by Alexander Sokurov

Faust is in my opinion the most accomplished work of Alexander Sokurov so far, though Mother and Son and Russian Ark also deserves a mention. Sokurov was a pupil of the master director Tarkovskij and that shows in his style.