TokeZa's Best of the Year List

→ in
Tools    

Thanks for the recommendations, i will look into it. Especially Noriko's Dinner Table by Sion Sono looks interesting!

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada should be a bit out of my normal viewing patterns, but as far as i remember it was on the Top in Holdens best of the decade, so im going to check it out.

I actually have The Proposition lying around and i want to see that, mainly because Nick Cave wrote the script. Im a huge fan of his

On the other hand im not sure i can deal with another Kim Ki-Duk film. It might be arthouse, but what i have seen from him is pretty awfull

Thanks for the recommendations, i will look into it. Especially Noriko's Dinner Table by Sion Sono looks interesting!

On the other hand im not sure i can deal with another Kim Ki-Duk film. It might be arthouse, but what i have seen from him is pretty awfull
Awesome! I'm sure you'll like Noriko's Dinner Table. It's a prequel to Suicide Club, but you don't need to watch Suicide Club first. Noriko's Dinner Table stands on its own with only some minor references to the other film.

Hmm... I was starting to get the impression Kim Ki-Duk was a very highly esteemed director... well this is the only one of his films that I've seen, but it sure made me want to check out more of his stuff.

In some circles its considered that he makes to many movies for his own good...

I havent seen his filmography and i actually have The Isle from 2000 on DVD, but the first movie i saw from was really that kind of bad, where you get angry

Heh, I'm trying to picture someone getting mad at how bad a movie is. I dunno... I just get bored when a movie is bad. I turn it off if I'm alone. If I'm with friends I politely excuse myself to the washroom and then take my sweet time, like when I saw Wolverine. I was only mad at how much money my friend made me waste.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Kim Ki-Duk > Romanian New Wave
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oh The Quiet came out in 2005, I love that movie. I think I've watched it about 20 times. I literally watched it six times in two days. It's with Camilla Belle, Elisha Cuthbert, Martin Donovan, and Shawn Ashmoore. It's about a recently orphaned deaf girl (Camilla Belle) who goes to live with her godparents and their daughter who is the same age.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
You guys need to trust TokeZa a little more, he's hardly wrong.
Hong Sang-soo > Kim Ki-Duk
Charles Burnett > Steve McQueen

2005 doesn't look like a great year but there was some quality there IMO:

Lady Vengeance - Park Chan Wook
Riding Alone For Thousands of Miles - Zhang Yimou
The Willow Tree - Majid Majidi
Battle in Heaven - Carlos Reygadas
The Wayward Cloud - Tsai Ming Liang
A Bittersweet Life - Kim Ji-Woon

2005:

1. Caché by Michael Haneke

2. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu by Cristi Puiu

3. Solntse by Aleksandr Sokurov

4. L'Enfant by Luc Dardenne and Jean-Pierre Dardenne

5. Three Times by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

Caché is easily one of the most interesting and intriguing movies I've seen from modern cinema.
I nurture a special fascination for this work even though I can't fully grasp its premise and meaning.

I think I've seen The Death of Mr. Lazarescu as well, but I barely remember it.
I guess I should take another look.

Great stuff you have here!

2004:

1. Tropical Malady by Apichatpong Weerasethakul

2. The World by Jia Zhang-Ke

3. Los Muertos by Lisandro Alonso

4. 13 Lakes by James Benning

5. Before Sunset by Richard Linklater

2003:

1. Goodbye Dragon Inn by Tsai Ming-Liang

2. Café Lumière by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

3. Twentynine Palms by Bruno Dumont

4. The Return by Andrei Zvyagintsev

5. Coffee and Cigarettes by Jim Jarmusch

I thought i would revive this thread, but a bit less ambitious with a top 5 from each year:

2002:

1. Oasis by Lee Chang-dong:

2. Blissfully Yours by Apichatpong Weerasethakul:

3. Talk to Her by Pedro Almodóvar:

4. The Man Without a Past by Aki Kaurismäki

5. Bungalow by Ulrich Köhler: