Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

I dislike the godfathers and dont get the appeal, truly overated, a story of a mafia family, so what?

I honestly cant awnser the topic question, i dont think it exists or else life is the best movie of all time
It was a great movie. Personally I prefer the novel.

Shawshank Redemption definitely has it all for me but I know this won't please a lot of people.

ahh well!!
Its about as close as you come, the film made its reputation over years and years through word of mouth not box office hype, people should remember that!

It was a great movie. Personally I prefer the novel.
So ive heard, but im more of a "scar face" boy, now theres an epic film.

Its about as close as you come, the film made its reputation over years and years through word of mouth not box office hype, people should remember that!
Highest DVD rental earnings of all time. Speaks volumes. The movie was 25M budget and earned 27M only.

About the Godfather, novel is way better. I was a little disappointed, they had chopped off some meaty portions of the novel. Especially in the middle. If you are like going by the novel. It would be like jumping from page 100 to 150 and then directly to 200.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Godfather is in no way overrated. No way. Scarface is a good movie too but come on it's so damn overrated it's not even funny.

so i averaged all the major movies i could think of using the RT Critics, RT Audience, IMDb rating, and BluRay.com user rating... and this is how the Top 25 came out

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
These lists always look the same.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Must have taken a pounding at IMDB. Its only 8.8 there.

These lists always look the same.
Make it look different then, though if were talking about the best movie of all time it has to be some type of popular film just to earn that title.

When it comes to scar face, i loved that film before it became so "cool" to like it, but im not going to say it still isnt great.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Make it look different then
OK. I just need one milion other people that think like me.

though if were talking about the best movie of all time it has to be some type of popular film just to earn that title
Why? The best movie of all time is the best movie of all time, not the most known good movie of all time.

When it comes to scar face, i loved that film before it became so "cool" to like it but im not going to say it still isnt great.
What's a "cool to like it movie"? If you like a film only because it's cool to do it, you're a poser, so it's a good thing you still think it's great.

Just saying that normally if a movie is that great it would normally become popular by word of mouth or media. So popularity and being the best most of the time go hand in hand.

And Scarface is just that, Cool! Nothing more! Great film, but a long way from being the best.

it is possible for a movie to be great and for a lot of people to know about it and agree on its excellent qualities

sometimes i think people can go too far out of their way to be different.. pretty much so they can say they like things not a whole lot of people know about and celebrate

not that there's anything wrong with that, but i wonder if those obscure movies that some are drawn to bc they're not well-known and celebrated... would instantly lose that essence to those people if a whole bunch of people started liking them

sometimes i think people can go too far out of their way to be different.. pretty much so they can say they like things not a whole lot of people know about
I can give you a +100 for this sentence alone. But alas, i am only allowed 1.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
Life of Pi

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
Life of Pi
Twilight Saga?? Never did i think i would read that movie on this thread!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
so i averaged all the major movies i could think of using the RT Critics, RT Audience, IMDb rating, and BluRay.com user rating... and this is how the Top 25 came out

This list, and the IMDb list where it partially derives are very manly lists. Most of them are either fueled or filled with testosterone and male ambition. It seems more of a reflection of the internet community than it does what film has to offer. The list could be greatly helped with the inclusion of a Mizoguchi for a little bit of self awareness.

As i said in an earlier post, the problem is not with the list its with the people who vote for them.

Ugetsu is rated at 8.1 and easily can make the Top 250 for IMDB, but has only 9k votes. The bottom cut off is 25000 votes. So if more knowledgeable people vote on these websites in 5 years we may have a great list!