TRON Legacy

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Was thinking this might be good, but i'm put off by some of the reviews. Liked the original but not a big fan or anything. Looks like i'm renting.
I would give it at least one viewing, in the theatre.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Haven't seen the original, so I'm not very interested in seeing this.

I've been a Tron fan since I was very young. As cheesy as it may be today, I still love the movie. I saw Tron Legacy on Saturday. My issues with the movie are relatively small, but overall I (and my son) loved the movie and will be picking it up the day it his Blu-ray.

Why even bother making mention of Dillinger's son and showing him for 5 seconds if that's the end of the story for him? The son of THE villain from the first movie and that's all you've got for him?

The whole End of the Line Club felt more like a reason to showcase some Daft Punk music and give them a chance for a quick cameo than anything.

And yeah, there was some predictability too. I knew Quorra was the last of her kind before it was revealed and I knew Sam was going to bring her back with him. With a girl that hot, who wouldn't want to?

The 3D looked great to me. I liked how the real world was left to 2D while the digital world was 3D.

No movie is without its flaws, though, and I'm there for the entertainment. I loved this movie and I would pay to see it several more times if I could. I do hope there is a sequel. Maybe they can answer some questions with it.

The 3D looked great to me. I liked how the real world was left to 2D while the digital world was 3D.
No it wasn't. the scene that shows the house is in 3D.
Which IMO was beautiful.
But yes there were few 3D scenes in the real world...

This movie has dazzling visual effects and a decent plot.

I predict it will earn the Oscar for Best Visual Effects, and possibly a Best Sound award as well.

Tron Legacy is real movie entertainment.

4 stars out of 5

A system of cells interlinked
That's why the soundtrack is generating so much buzz, being all typical and stuff.

I thought the soundtrack was exceptional in that it fit the scene's energy really well at any given point in the film. Daft punk were able to blend symphonic music with techno without falling into the traps either genre tends to set up. We weren't driven insane by the same trance track played 30 times during the film, and we also weren't bored to tears by cut-n-paste symphonic music that seems generic or tacked on in places.

Agree or disagree, the fact remains that the score is being highly praised in many circles, and is already an early favorite for the best original score Oscar.

My girlfriend and I listen to the soundtrack while driving, and we have enjoyed it immensely. Daft Punk have successfully written a pretty lengthy classical music score with just enough electronic instrumentation in it to fit perfectly in this story about a virtual world. I consider it the biggest achievement of the film - but I guess that isn't saying much.

That said...the more I ruminate on the film, the more I think they dropped the ball here. They actually DID have some deeper stuff in the film, probably from the start, but it got trimmed along the way, eventually falling by the wayside as more and more action sequences and expository dialogue were cut in. The viewer sort of gets the idea that the film is all about Quorra and these special beings she represents (ISOs), but I think originally, it was all about Clu.

If one views Clu as the physical representation of a cultural phenomenon (namely the utopian ideals of the late 1960s and 70s), the potential for a dark, cultural cautionary tale emerges.

As a quick aside: I am often stunned when I chat with my parents, as they rail against the counter-culture of the 1960s with an almost rabid ferocity. They were both, of course, flower power hippies in the 1960s, and my childhood in the 70s was...colorful, to say the least. What would turn both these smiling flower children into hard core conservatives (especially since they live 3000 miles apart and never talk to one another)?

The best I can get out of my Dad is that he insists he dropped the philosophy once he was able to follow the train of thought out to its logical conclusion, which I think is exactly what the virtual world in Tron represents - Flynn's political activist ideals allowed to come to fruition in a closed systemic environment. At one point in his life, Flynn was able to isolate and inject much of what was represented by his ideology into a virtual environment, an environment that allowed his ideas to evolve, unimpeded, to their logical conclusion, which was totalitarian control of an entire society. Clu, a synthetic, remorseless automaton, simply followed what he saw as the best path to a perfect world - total domination.

Shade of Orwell, shades of Kubrick, all wrapped up in an Apple Imac shell (hey, the world was clearly designed by Apple, what with all the clear plastic ). Unfortunately, as with many other films today, this thing got pushed through so many post production processes that the wrapper became more important than the candy inside.

Bummer - this could have been an excellent dark sci-fi film, if the filmmakers had any balls.

Didn't Sam Flynn's facial expressions bother anyone else? He looked constipated more than anything else.
I was asked to come out for a second viewing with a friend who hadn't seen "Legacy" yet and, yes, his poor acting as well as the occasionally laughable dialogue got under my skin a little more the second go round. When put up against the first film, however, neither of these elements seem to be a huge concern. The biggest downfall of "Legacy" is that it takes itself too seriously and there weren't enough moments that encouraged us to look around in wonder at the digital world Disney had constructed. As wildly fantastical as its premise may be, "Tron Legacy" is short a few spoonfuls of the "movie magic" that saved "Avatar" from being entirely pretentious.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Bummer - this could have been an excellent dark sci-fi film, if the filmmakers had any balls.
I wish they would have pushed it closer to a PG-13 rating. They could have done so much more, explored Dillinger's son or Clu, a little more. They spent so much time explaining everything that happened over the course of Flynn's time within, that it left little room for anything new.

That being said, I've been wanting to go watch it again.

The Drunk and Happy
I saw this film in 2D first... then in 3D/IMAX. It wasn't much better... I'd bring a couple of beers before going to see it. Biodigital Jazz, man.

The movie was good but didn't finish strong. You can forgive a movie that is weak but finishes strong but not a movie that plays strong and finishes weak.

Good shoop is good.

It's very nice 3D movie . Light cycles were pretty cool. Olivia Wilde was hot. Fight scenes were so so. Seeing it once was quite enough. I loved the original. This should have been so much more.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I didn't care for it much at all. The story was so ambigous as it seemed to serve as an excuse for the action, as oppossed to a purpose. It was silly all around, though I do like the young-age special effect they used on Jeff Bridges.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I saw it in 3D with the family. I was impressed with the environment of the movie and how vast they made it feel. I'm a big Daft Punk fan so of course that alone made me like the movie more. I knew what it was going into it and got exactly what I expected so no complaints here!

Took the family to see this (2-D) over the weekend. I wasn't expecting much, based on the mixed reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought this was a pretty good and really fun film. My vague memories of having seen the first one over 25 years ago weren't really needed, as they told us everything we needed to know. My boys all loved it and are now clammoring to see the first one when the DVD gets re-released later this year. If their interest holds, I anticipate we'll end up with both of them.

While this hasn't made the money it was expectected to, I think Disney accomplished their primary goal, since my kids left the theater saying "They should make a Tron cartoon. Are there any Tron comic books? Do they really have Tron action figures? They should make another movie." Thanks, Disney, for giving my kids something else to want me to buy for them. As a parent of kids under 10, I'm glad they kept it PG instead of going for the obvious "more mature" PG-13 that all the sci-fi and super hero movies seem to shoot for these days.

Still havn't had a chance to see this. Missed it in the theatres and havn't found a decent rip of it yet on the internet. I'm definetly not watching this movie until I can see it in amazing quality.

I really loved it. The first is a great film, but this sequel is now a clear favourite of mine. It still amazes me how many people think the 'GRID' is the internet.