Nicolas Cage...what gives?

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I know there's an older thread, but I didn't think it was going in the direction I wanted it to go, so here's a new one (plus it was roughly 8 years old). If you want to see the older thread, click here.

Anyway, so Nic Cage has a new movie coming out this month, Knowing. I know that a lot of actors/actresses have their niche that they fall in and a majority of their movies are released along those lines. As much as Cage is a veteran to the film industry, why is it that now, he's subjecting himself to type-casting?

I don't know why he always hits a nerve with me, but he's one of those actors that is not one bit consistent. There are a few bankable stars out there that put their face in a bad movie, learn from it, then move on. For some reason, he is numb to that novel idea.

The guy can act in the good films he's in, but those are few and far between. I want to like the guy, but I just lose all respect for someone if they knowingly want to push out floaters to the mainstream audience.

I guess this is just some rant of mine. What do you guys think of him?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Hate him. There's a good number of people who's films I avoid like the plague, too many probably, but his are always fighting for top billing of that particular credit. Except for Satan herself, I think he's next. Just looked on IMDB and the last film of his I saw was Snake Eyes. I'd like to have seen Adaptation, but he was in it, so I didn't. I've seen him in two good films. Leaving Las Vegas (which is to Cage what The Matrix was to Keanu, that is to say, perfect casting for his 'ablilities') and The Rock which, despite the prescence of both Cage and Connery, manages to be pretty entertaining.

Nowadays, the best thing about him having a new film out is to see what hairpiece he's wearing and how stupid it looks.

That's about right. There's only been a few of his films that I can stomach as better than average. There are also some of his that I consider guilty pleasures (Gone in 60 Seconds, National Treasure).

I just wish he would take a step back and not act anymore. For the sake of the economy of the nation, please don't act anymore.

Have either of you seen Raising Arizona?

I don't have a problem with him.

I own over 20 of his movies. I'm hardly saying they're all good. The best ones are . . .

Adaptation. (2002)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Moonstruck (1987)
Raising Arizona (1987)

I've heard that these next two are real good, so I plan on checking them out . . .

Wild at Heart (1990)
Vampire's Kiss (1988)

I haven't watched these, so I can't judge them yet . . .

Ghost Rider (2007) ~ Heard it sucks!
The Wicker Man (2006)
Lord of War (2005) ~ Heard it sucks!
National Treasure (2004)
Matchstick Men (2003)

As far as the rest of what I own goes, my three favorites are . . .

Con Air (1997)
The Rock (1996)
Guarding Tess (1994)

My biggest guilty pleasure, for the holidays of course, is . . .

Trapped in Paradise (1994) - Sue me. You won't get Jack Schitt.

Yes, I own others, but you're already throwing up, so why should I bother naming them!?!

Have either of you seen Raising Arizona
Yes, I've seen it, which is why I posted this:

Originally Posted by spudracer
There's only been a few of his films that I can stomach as better than average.
I didn't say he's never been in a good movie, just saying that he's more often in bad movies than good ones.

P.S., Don't waste your time with Ghost Rider. It indeed sucked.

I like him fine. Maybe he's not a "great" actor but he's not even close to being one of the worst.

Yeah, I read that too fast. I thought you said that you had seen it, and that's why you posted this thread.

I was wondering why the hell you quoted yourself.

Ha, I had a blond moment.

Originally Posted by Powdered Wawa
I like him fine. Maybe he's not a "great" actor but he's not even close to being one of the worst.
Exactly!

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
haha this video always makes me laugh, nicholas cage going around being an *******

as for the man himself i think he's harmless, i wouldn't ever not watch a movie because he's in it

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Lord Of War is not a bad movie. It's slow, but good.

Matchstick Men is good, then the ending comes. Enough about that.

I like Cage, he's one of my personal favourite actors. Sure he's been in some crap lately, but look at DeNiro. He hasn't been in anything good since Ronin, which came out in 1998. Or if you want to count Meet The Parents, go ahead.

As for Knowing, I think it will be good. It has a good premise, a great director who is in the genre he knows best, sci/fi.

Cage's worst film is The Wicker Man, no doubt.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Vampire's Kiss: Yuck! and I mean more than the cockroach.
Wild at Heart: I don't recommend spending money on that one either...

WTF!! I've never seen the wicker man. WTF is up with him beat the hell out of all the women in that movie? I don't know if I should laugh or bitch slap the monitor.

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!! lmfao

I'm a fan of Cage but those clips made me second guess it.

Just so everyone's clear...I don't dislike him, I just wish he would be more consistent. I guess that's the safe approach and nobody will see your "range" if you always are the safe-bet, but come on. There's nothing worse than type-casting yourself.

I'll comment on this thread seriously later, but I have to say, I saw the clips of The Wicker Man that rice posted about a year ago, and they're still funny.

Cage isn't a bad actor. Leaving Last Vegas, Adaptation, Raising Arizona and The Weather Man are good examples of this - he has been typecast as of late, but soon enough I'm sure he'll be back on track.

Sure, he has been in a lot of crap lately, but that doesn't make him a poor actor by any measure. The Wicker Man is hilarious, but it is no indication of poor acting. If anything, the script and directing are what hurt it.

You ready? You look ready.
I'll comment on this thread seriously later, but I have to say, I saw the clips of The Wicker Man that rice posted about a year ago, and they're still funny.
"How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned?! HOW'D IT GET BURNED?!"
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Cage isn't a bad actor. Leaving Last Vegas, Adaptation, Raising Arizona and The Weather Man are good examples of this - he has been typecast as of late, but soon enough I'm sure he'll be back on track.
Yeah, we know he can act. Whether or not he always chooses to is the real issue. Raising Arizona is probably in my top 25-30 favorite movies of all time, and after watching Adaptation again last week, I gotta say, Cage's performance really stands out after a few viewings.

Sure, he has been in a lot of crap lately, but that doesn't make him a poor actor by any measure. The Wicker Man is hilarious, but it is no indication of poor acting. If anything, the script and directing are what hurt it.
I agree. He's definitely been bad in a number of films, though one suspects it's more because he doesn't care, than because his talented up and ran away. This is about his career choices more than anything else.

Those were just my initial thoughts on his acting. I was going to get to his career choices momentarily. Didn't mean to "derail" the thread.

I'm not sure I entirely understand his career choices at this point. His choices indicate there is a certain degree of apathy involved, or the money is better - perhaps both? Suffice it to say, it might be safe to say he has "sold out". As I've stated before, I'm sure Cage will eventually bounce back with something actually worth seeing - but for the time being, everything looks the same.