Favorite Seinfeld Episode

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Since we are taking over Monkeypunch's thread in the General Movie Discussion, I thought it only right to make a thread for Seinfeld so we can discuss the greatest half hour man has ever seen.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

well I don't know what would be my favorite episode of all-time that super hard and yesterday I was watching the first seinfeld well I think it's the first if it wasn't it's defanitly close were the girl comes over to stay the night and it was so funny to see to george with hair and seinfeld's apartment was so different

here's a couple of my favorite moment's I can think off the top of my head the "muffin top's" were Seinfeld turns into a werewolf at the end that was so funny also "ca ca ca catfight" were the guys are so hot for a catfight.

I have over a hundred of the episode's taped

I love the meatslicer one to that rocked at the end were there slippin here the thin meat slices.

Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries
well I don't know what would be my favorite episode of all-time that super hard and yesterday I was watching the first seinfeld well I think it's the first if it wasn't it's defanitly close were the girl comes over to stay the night and it was so funny to see to george with hair and seinfeld's apartment was so different
I saw that one last night. THE SIGNALS THE SIGNALS!!! I JUST DON'T GET THE SIGNALS A WOMAN WILL THROW OUT.

How bout the one where Elaine has a rash or something, and goes to all these doctors that won't help here because of something on her chart. Jerry's Uncle Leo then takes a package that was supposed to go to Jerry and it turns out to be a bomb, which singes Leo's eyebrows. Leo is at the doctor when Elaine goes in and tries explaining what she has as something HE has. The doctor goes out of the room, and she goes to leave, Leo wants something done about his eyebrows so she takes a magic marker and colors them in. The doctor comes back thinking Leo is mad. Great episode!!

1. "The Merv Griffin Show"
Kramer finds the old set in a dumpster and creates an imaginary running talkshow in his apartment. This episode also has Jerry drugging his new girlfriend to play with her old toy collection, Elaine battling "the sideler" at the office, and George inexplicably injuring pidgeons and squirrels, even though "We had a deal!". It all leads to that fantastic finale on the set of Kramer's 'show', which has now turned its focus to "scandals & animals".

2. "The Bookstore"
George takes the expensive art book into the restroom with him and is forced to buy it, not knowing it is "flagged" and cannot be resold. Jerry sees Uncle Leo shoplifting and turns him in to teach him a lesson, not realizing he would actually be arrested. Elaine, conscious of not doing any embarassing dancing at the office party, instead gets drunk and makes out at one of the tables with a co-worker. Kramer and Newman decide to start a Rickshaw service using Homeless as labor.

3. "The Invitations"
As the wedding approaches, George tries new tricks to get Susan to leave him: smoking and a prenuptial agreement. Neither work ("I Make more money than you"). Kramer doesn't recognize Susan and calls her Lilly, but he has bigger fish to fry: he gets into a semantic argument over a bank's policy of giving $100 if their tellers don't say hello ("'Hey' is not 'Hello'"). Jerry is saved by his female equivalent (Janeane Garofalo) and decides to propose to her. And of course the deadly wedding invitations. The unemotional way the four handle the news of Susan's death from licking the cheap envelopes is priceless, reminiscent of Camus' The Stranger (especially when later coupled with the series finale).

4. "The Frogger"
George learns the high score on a pizza parlor video game he acheived in high school is still on the machine and may be his only true legacy. To move the machine without turning it off, he hires Kramer, who has a roll of police crimescene tape, a truck driver, and a man Kramer knows as "Slippery Pete" (Fargo's Peter Stomare) who is supposedly a master electrician - even though he calls an outlet "the holes". At the same time Jerry is trying to break up with a girl who is getting too serious too fast and wants to go to Pennsylvania Dutch Country for the weekend, but he's scared into staying with her because of "The Lopper" of Riverside Drive. Elaine swears off the daily excuses to have office parties in the afternoon, but then sneaks into Peterman's office and accidentally eats King Edward II's wedding cake won at auction for $29,000 ("It was a little stale").

5. "The Contest"
George is caught by his mother masturbating in her house to Glamour magazine. The four decide to see who can go the longest without pleasuring themselves. All four are tempted by cruel fates: Jerry is dating a beautiful virgin, Kramer is obsessed with a sexy exhibitionist across the street, at the hospital George's mother is roomed with a gorgeous woman who gets sponge baths from a statuesque nurse, and Elaine meets John-John Kennedy Jr. at her aerobics class. One by one they fall.

6. "The Handicap Spot"
The four go to the Mall in George's father's car to pick out a gift for "The Drake", who is engaged. When they can't find a spot George in convinced to park in a handicapped space, but when they return an angry mob has gathered. Because they took the spot, a woman in a wheelchair had an accident coming down the steep ramp. The police seem to be powerless and indifferent, so they hide. When they return again, the car is totaled. Kramer visits the woman in the hospital and falls madly in love with her. He agrees that he and George will find her a replacement wheelchair. Instead of a new one, George saves money with a used model. Because the car has been ruined, Frank Costanza decides he will make George his butler, just as George and Jerry had written in their sitcom pilot scritp.

7. "The Opposite"
George realizes that every instinct he's ever had in his life has been wrong, so he starts a new creedo of doing the exact opposite. As a result he attracts an impossibly beautiful woman who he is driving crazy with the anticipation of love, and lands a cushy job with the New York Yankees. At the same time Elaine's fortunes fade, and she winds up with no boyfriend and no job (all thanks to Juicy Fruit). Jerry looses a job, then gets a new one five minutes later, illuminating a pattern of "Even Steven". Kramer finally gets his coffee-table book about coffeee-tables published and guests on "Regis & Kathy Lee".

8. "The Yada Yada"
Jerry's dentist, Tim Whatley, has converted to Judiasm, but Jerry thinks it was just so he could tell Jewish jokes without repurcussions. This offends him, not as a Jew, but as a comedian. Kramer accuses Jerry of being an "anti-dentite", but he and Mickey are having trouble with a double date - neither can decide which girl they want. Elaine goes before an adoption board to help friends get a baby, but unconsciously blows the entire deal for them. And of course George's new girlfriend tells stories but leaves out details with a "yada yada".

9. "The Cartoon"
Susan's old college roomate, Sally Weaver (Katy Griffin), is a wannabe actress. Jerry is critical of her chances, but tries to be kind about it in person. Later Kramer of course tells her more bluntly, and she turns her rage against Jerry. This inspires her to start a one-woman show off-Broadway where she does nothing but tell how horrible Jerry "The Devil" Seinfeld is. It's a big hit, and Newman is her biggest fan. Meanwhile George is dating a new girl (Tracy Nelson) who Kramer blurts out looks a lot like Jerry, but reassures him with a "just because they look-a-like, that doesn't mean you're secretly in love with Jerry." This of course ignites George's neurosis. All the while, Elaine is angry about a New Yorker cartoon not making any sense. Even the editor finally admits it makes no sense, so he says Elaine can write one. When she finally does and it is published, Mr. Peterman, a lifetime Ziggy fan ("Quick, Elaine, to my archives!") realizes she has unconsciously stolen the idea.

10. "The Marine Biologist"
Jerry bumps into an old friend who asks about George. Rather than tell her he's unemployed, he says he's a successful marine biologist. Elaine is supposed to help a famous Russian novelist, but things are spoiled when Jerry convinces her Tolstoy's original title for War & Peace was War, What is it Good For? ("Absolutely nuthin'!") and her beeping electronic organizer. Kramer goes to the beach to practice his golf swing. Geroge keeps the marine biologist lie going until he is asked to save a distressed whale. The punchline: "A hole in one."

Those were the first ten that popped into my head anyway, but I probably have more like sixty or seventy "favorite" episodes, as we all do.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seinfeld Toys.png
Views:	8777
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	7734  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Holden Pike
At the same time Elaine's fortunes fade, and she winds up with no boyfriend and no job (all thanks to Juicy Fruit).
I thought it was JuJuBees or something JuJu you can get from the theater. Maybe I'm mixing my episodes, but I know what episode that is. Watched it the other night. I might be mistaken though.

Very nice list Holden. I really don't think there's one episode I don't like. All of them are hilarious.

Yeah, I meant Jujyfruit, then inexplicably typed Juicy Fruit. I meant the candy, not the gum. Elaine is waiting for her boyfriend at the theater, finds out he's been in an accident, but rather than rush right out to a taxi to be whisked away to the hospital, she stops and buys Jujyfruit for the cab ride (she got popcorn too).

Elaine also gets kicked out of her apartment ("Last Thanksgiving you buzzed up a jewel thief").

holden, have you ever measured the circumfrence of your head? you are unbelievable. i can recall every episode, but the details would be a crumb to your cookie. kudos.

I liked the one where someone, can't really place who, takes George's last name, Costanza and changes it to the Can't-stand-ya. LOVE IT!!

Also, the one where Jerry buys the van from his summer George, and doesn't really want the van, so Kramer uses it for his Anti-Mail campaign with the dummy wearing the bucket on his head. George, meanwhile, is busy with a cousin of his and is wanting his dad to find out. George then takes his cousin out in the van where George has his mom and dad come so George can surprise them with him and his cousin making love. The Jerry's summer George then comes across the van and says something along the lines of That's Jerry's Van!! George then takes the muffled screaming as Son of Sam. George then runs into the woods, and his parents come across the van where they start getting wild. Jerry, looking for the guy who sold the van to him, comes across the van with Kramer helping him. Kramer says something to the chord of..."Oooh, that van is a rockin," to which Jerry says, "DON'T GO A KNOCKIN!!"

The 'Can'tStandYa' is in "The Library", the one with the hysterical appearance of Philip Baker Hall as Leiutenant Bookman the Library Cop, tracking down Jerry for not turning in a Henry Miller book back in his High School years. Bookman is looking for The Tropic of Capricorn. Jerry remembers returning it, but he actually returned The Tropic of Cancer and lent the other book to George - who left it in the locker room after a wedgie attack. And it was the school gym teacher who taunted George with the "Can'tStandYa"s, eventually leading to his being fired (coupled with the wedgie). He's now a bum on the steps of the library, still with his baked bean teeth.

i'm sure most of us Seinfeld fans have heard this but just in case....the real life soup merchant hated Seinfeld' Soup Nazi publicity. i don't know if he tried suuing but i can just picture all the people standing rigidly in line, ordering their soup straight-faced, somewhat monotone, then slide-stepping down to the register to pay.

i love the japanese men in Kramers bureau drawers, and the dognapping of the little toto dog. i don't remember what all happened in each episode, so i wouldn't claim these to be overall favorites.

one negative note; i never liked George's girlfriend Susan, but then we weren't supposed to.

I wasn't nuts about her either...but she was more than George deserved, I think. He's such a flawed little man. That, of course, reminds me of scene where he's nitpicking this blind date (or something similar), whereas Elaine is trying desperately to get her friend to agree to it. "Does she have a pinkish hue?" And yes, the Soup Nazi episode is awesome. "No soup for you!" is an ideal catchphrase.

Some of my favorites:

"The Jacket"
Jerry and George are stuck talking to Elaine's father, an author who makes Mailer and Hemingway look like sissies. Elaine can't make it, because Kramer forces her to hold a cab for him while he gathers some birds. George keeps singing "Master of the House" from Les Miserables. Jerry gets a new suede jacket, but it has an ugly, pinstriped lining. Mr. Benis won't let him turn his jacket inside out when it starts snowing, so the jacket gets ruined.

"The Parking Garage"
The whole gang wanders around a parking garage when they can't remember where they parked. Jerry and George both get arrested for public urination. A classic example of the show about "nothing."

"The Limo"
Jerry and George impersonate two people at the airport in order to get a free limo ride. They are excited to find out from the driver that he is taking them to Madison Square Garden (they think it will be a sports event). However, when the driver picks up the other people in their party, George discovers the person he is supposed to be is a neo-Nazi. He is supposed to speak at the Garden. Kramer and Elaine ponder whether or not Jerry could be a Nazi.

"The Airport"
Jerry and Elaine miss their flight, but manage to board another flight which is not quite full. However, one of the seats is in First Class, and the other is in Coach. Jerry takes the First Class seat ("I can't go back to Coach. You've never flown First Class, so you won't know what you're missing."). A study in contrasts emerges once they take their respective seats. Jerry gets to sit next to a fashion model, while Elaine is sandwiched between a fat slob and a woman who constantly smacks her gum. Jerry is constantly offered food, while Elaine doesn't get her meal at all. Meanwhile, George faces off with a convict who wants the issue of Time or Newsweek or whatever it was (I don't remember) that George bought at the gift shop. Kramer attempts to settle an old debt, but to no avail.

oh yes, the airport episode....a great one. classic elaine voice over of her thoughts "yeah, that's good, could you make any more noise with your gum lady?!" i love how she clenches her teeth and glares as we hear her thoughts. and the serial murderer (isn't that the Eastwood brother? clint?) is very funny. right on arthur.

I was watching Seinfeld last night and it was one of the first episodes. Do you realize that Jerry's dad is different in the first few episodes???

Another episode I like is the one where Kramer gets a safe and tries hiding the key. Jerry keeps finding the key unintentionally, so Kramer takes the key and hides it in a neighbors bird's food. The bird eats the key and dies. So Kramer and Jerry go out to dig up the bird so they can get the key back.

hey spud, you know i DID see that Jerry's dad was two different actors, but whenever i saw the first guy, i couldn't picture the other guy and vice versa. so i never had a clear idea of who the two guys were and when they changed. Jerry's mom is so well cast. it would be cool to cast your own parents? ........ my mom would be Michelle Pfeiffer and my dad would be Sean Connery.

Michelle and Sean???? That's like the Lipton's commercials with Mr. T, Sally, Robert Wagner, etc.

Yeah, I think that the first guy was only in the first few episodes, after that it was the other guy(which fit better)

"Master of your Domain"
and I love the one where Elaine talks really sexy into Jerry's tape recorder and Goerge finds out and gets a crush on her. The end whaen all three guys look at her all lovestruck makes me laugh everytime.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A novel adaptation.
The one where elaine becomes a janitor so the chinese place will deliver to her. And Kramer adopts a highway, and takes out one of the lanes.

That, or the on where the fried chicken place opens across from kramers apartment, so jerry and kramer switch apartments, at which point they start acting like each other.

21st century digital boy
The one where Jerry was dating a woman with Man Hands and they met the bizarro Jerry Seinfeld was a really good one, and the one where Kramer had a rooster and got into cockfighting is also one of my favorites...