The Majestic

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Although this is a little late, what are your thoughts towards the new Frank Darabont film "The Majestic?"

Personally, Carrey might be able to make a believable dramatic performance this time. His last, Man on the Moon, wasn't terribly bad, but wasn't teriffic either.

The Majestic opens Friday.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I've moved this to the Movie Reviews forum, because it's opening REALLY soon, and a fair amount of people have caught press screenings and sneak peeks anyway, I'd imagine. Hope you don't mind.

What is this movie about? The previews don't say, it's like, look it's Jim Carey come see this movie he has amnesia! And that's about it.

I'll have to 100% completely disagree with you there. If anything, the preview tells us far too much. I think I've already got a basic idea for how the whole thing will play out...which is not good!

Originally posted by spudracer

Personally, Carrey might be able to make a believable dramatic performance this time. His last, Man on the Moon, wasn't terribly bad, but wasn't teriffic either.

Did you just not see The Truman Show, or something?

I agree with T. I know exactl what's going to happen in this movie, & it's a real shame.

I saw The Truman Show, and that was his first real dramatic role. Personally, he still had too much funny in him to make it THAT good. I did like it though.

I have an idea of what will happen in this movie, but with Darabont directing, you never know where it's going to lead. Does look good though.

You guys know exactly what the movie is about?? You must have a secret source for previews. The one on tv just shows people walking up to him and he says hello, and they go, I'm you dad, I'm your mom, and he says gee. Then there's a building with lots of lights on it. Hmm.. I guess I could look around the web for some previews but I'm too lazy.

If you've seen the theatrical trailer for The Majestic and not just the 30-second TV commercials, the entire plot is given away. All that isn't shown in the trailer is the outcome of his returning back to Hollywood to stand up to the H.U.A.C. hearing. Gee, I wonder how he's gonna do?

I'm not all that huge a fan of Frank Capra movies in the first place, but the prospect of seeing somebody do a pale version of one with Jim Carrey doesn't interest me in the slightest.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ahhh, that explains it. I've only seen the tv preview. I have a new program called the RealOne? And everytime I use it, it wants me to reregister. I've registered like 3 times and I still haven't seen any previews.

Just got back from watching The Majestic.

Very drawn out, but is a Darabont signature movie. Long, and emotional. Anybody else see this yet?

Good movie, I give it a B-

i liked it but i thought it was too long, and for some reason i was expecting something a lot weirder to happen.
did anyone catch bruce cambell in the movie? he was the star in sand pirates of the sahara.

Jim Carrey, go back to comedy, we miss you.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i know, didn't carrey promise that he would always do comedy?

i saw the theatrical trailer for this and yeah, it was all given away, which is why I didn't go see it.

it's really bad when in the commercial they show a blurb of Jim as if in an interview (maybe it's a clip) saying how he wanted to make a simple "feel-good" movie for America. Maybe it's tied to the Sept 11th thing but obviously they began work on this way beforehand. He's already given us The Truman Show, Liar,Liar - he's done plenty of "feel-good" and doesn't need to make any more.

Not that they're bad movies but he ... or maybe the ones he picks ... fall a bit short. It's not like his acting sucks even, it's just that ... he is not a presence that makes you forget he is funny. Even when he cries, looks depressed, or forlorn. You never forget that, cuz even in the Truman Show, without even TRYING he was funny, funnier, I'm sure, than the light touch of humor they wanted to add to the darker story beneath.

There's a weird overall cheesiness when he goes into the mode of "feel-good" movie. Like that movie, i forget what it's called, the one where the kids are in black and white and then everything goes to color? that recent one?

i think, to some extent, people are craving the innocence and purity of Hollywood films from 1920-1960 but we cannot recapture that with most modern actors or screenwriting now. The writers, actors, and directors are, of the majority, not capable of it, I don't think. Only the extremely talented could write such a film and make us buy it.

I think the only place that we come close is with film noir. We saw what WoodyAllen did to the musical - his attempt and it was like so much smoke - didn't capture much of anything and was an entirely useless visual experience. The film world cannot capture things like that anymore. The best place to see a musical now is on stage. ANd the best place to see the magic of a 1920s-1960's movie is to go to the video store and get an oldie.

I guess I just feel Hollywood can't do it, and when I see things like The Majestic... I know a kid would buy it. But no one else would. I don't, really. But I don't say they give up. Just that it's gonna take some evolution or change to ever be able to capture that kind of thing and sell it so we enjoy it and want to see it.

Are you referring to "Everyone Says I Love You"? If so, I must say that I really, really enjoyed that movie. A lot. Fabulous movie. Anyway, not sure of which black and white movie you're referring to. Was it a Jim Carrey movie? I'm stumped...and I ain't checking IMDB; that'd be cheating.

I think you should at least check it out. It was long, in fact, I'm sure you would be used to that with any Darabont picture. His two previous works were much longer than a normal picture.

This one, however, was drawn out maybe 30 minutes over. No, you can't get everything from the previews, or the trailer, there's just no way. If you did, I want you to post what you think it's about.

Yes, I did catch Bruce Campbell as the actor in the B-Movie. Kind of ironic actually.

Guy
Everyone Says I Love You is a woody allen film with no jim carrey.. I think it's edward norton in that..

Anyway, Carrey is doing a ghost film next December.. A drama, not a comedy. He should pick comedy and dramatic roles, he excels in both.

Guy: I know, I didn't mean that I thought it was a Jim Carrey movie. Miriam talked about a couple movies...I should've seperated my comments to indicate that. And yes, "Everyone Says I Love You" does indeed feature Edward Norton...and Julia Roberts, Alan Alda, Natalie Portman, Goldie Hawn, Woody Allen, Natasha Lyonne, Drew Barrymore, and a few other mid-level actors, if I remember correctly. Good movie.

Spud, I didn't see the flippin' movie, but...

WARNING: "The Majestic" spoilers below
Carrey's character is a mid-level screenwriter who keeps sacrificing his vision to the will of the Studios. When he is called before the House Un-American Activities Committee to name names of his friends, he is told he will be blacklisted if he doesn't cooperate. He hits the road to hopefully clear his head, rather than face testifying and doing the wrong thing.

Driving up the coast, he takes that sharp turn off the bridge and crashes into the water. The old man (James Whitmore) finds him on the beach the next day. He has amnesia, of course. When he gets to the sleepy coastal town, he is taken for Luke, a local war hero who died in WWII (and son of Martin Landau). Some of the townspeople have their doubts of course (including Luke's old girlfriend), but he is embraced as a hero and brings life and hope back to the town. One of the ways this happens is the re-opening of the movie theater, The Majestic.

Everything is going well, but too well of course. After recognizing a movie playing at The Majestic, he finally realizes who he really is. In a 'heartbreaking' scene he tells who he has to tell about his identity and returns to Hollywood to face the H.U.A.C. But will he be the same spineless man he was, bending his will and morals to the wishes of others, or will his experience as the beloved Luke in the quaint town give him the courage to do the right thing and stand-up for what is right instead of what is easy? Hmmmmm, I wonder.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some details, like a jealous jerk in the town who keeps trying to expose "Luke" as an imposter, maybe a betrayal from a friend or girlfriend back in Hollywood, Federal Agents looking for him, perhaps a cute dog who doesn't seem to recognize him, etc. That stuff isn't in the trailer, but surely it's there.

That pretty well sum up this Capra-corn wannabe, Spudster?

And thimiln, I found those TV spots especially distasteful and insincere too, the ones with Carrey being interviewed about what a feel-good wonderful film The Majestic is ("I just wanted to put something good out into the world"). Puh-leeze. I've got an idea: rather than putting something with a supposedly good "spirit" out into the world, why not focus on a good script for a change?

Didn't you enjoy "The Truman Show"? That had a good script.

Holden, it would be suprsing, but don't say you're one of those people who won't give Carrey a chance because of his earlier films. That would be close-minded.

....?