Vanilla Sky

→ in
Tools    

You love the movie, great...more power to you. Congratulations on finding someone you enjoy so much...but don't start talking smack about mindless action flicks, as if they're worthless, because they're not. "The Mummy Returns" was pure action and adventure. That's what it promised, and it delivered on that promise. It's not crap. An "assembly line" is not always a bad thing, either.

Yeah... what he said.

a damn good movie.

definatley best actress cameron diaz.

spoilerz: do not read if havnt seen this movie or i will cause inrepairible damage to your soul

WARNING: "Vanilla Sky" spoilers below
the reason i didnt really like the end is it was to open for possibility, i mean it was great ending, but what really happened?
DONT READ I SWEAR IF U HAVN'T SEEN THIS!
i think that he was in a coma until the accident an woke up at the very end. OR everything they said happened in the ilicit dream actually did OR he died in the very end.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I edited your post to include the spoilers tag...please use it next time, it's the best way to display them. I think I caught some of the spoiler anyway, but I'll live.

Mecurdius...

The ending wasn't all that open to possibility. He had to choose, whether to continue the dream with a patch that would supposedly fix the nightmare aspects of his subconscious, or be thawed out in the 'present' (which is far into the future) to start a new but 'real' life. When he jumps off the roof that means he chooses reality over a dream, a "patched" one or not. He didn't die, he lived.

The "Tech Support" is telling him nothing but truths. He isn't a lie or a dream. Or at least I don't think he's supposed to be. In the context of the movie we realize of course everything could conceivably be a dream, but unlike all the other post-accident scenarios he experiences, the cryonic lucid dream is the only one that doesn't have gaps of logic and time in it.

The last line over darkness after the fall, "Open your eyes" is not Sofia or Julie's voice. So either it's a simple little ironic wink at the end that he would be brought out of his lucid dream and frozen state with the same words as his dreamlives, or he's "waking" to yet another dream with a completely different girl and his nightmare is continuing.

Either way, I don't think he's "dead", unless you really want to stretch the interpretation and make his "dreams" his afterlife. The implication of the ending, as is, is that he chooses an uncertain life in a world he doesn't know rather than continue variations on this one.

I don't think there's any evidence in the film to support that the "Tech Suport" was also a dream. It can be interpreted that way, but I don't think that's what the film is asking you to do.

This is all explained fairly clearly in the movie, though since I've seen the original film so many times I already knew and formed an understanding of what was happeneing before it happened. But thinking back a few years, I'm sure I "got it" the first time I watched Open Your Eyes too.

Anyway, it's worth seeing again to figure it out for yourself.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hope you don't mind, Holden: I had to edit your bbCode there. It doesn't allow for nested bbCode, I don't think. The apostrophe was causing problems, so I had to take it out. You can try the italics again, though...they might have been inconsequential. All this post editing has spoiled a little bit of it for me, I think. Could you tell me if the below is basically correct?

I didn't read the spoilers on purpose (it just happens), but I caught enough to discern that there's some issue as to whether or not he dies at the end. Is this true?

Yeah, OK, I get how the "spoilers" work now, ignore my latest PM. I should've guessed it wouldn't allow for anything fancy in that little tagline.

And Commish, the ending is more complicated than what you're asking above. The answer is yes, kind of, but that's only part of it.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I am frecking beaming from this movie. I keep listening to the soundtrack and remember it, basking in its glory. I'm gonna have to go see it again tonight.

However, it makes me sad that TWT read part of the spoiler, for this is a movie that should have NOTHING about it spoiled. God I love this movie. If this could be physically manifested into a person, I'd make love to it for it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
You love the movie, great...more power to you. Congratulations on finding someone you enjoy so much...but don't start talking smack about mindless action flicks, as if they're worthless, because they're not. "The Mummy Returns" was pure action and adventure. That's what it promised, and it delivered on that promise. It's not crap. An "assembly line" is not always a bad thing, either.
By assembly line, I mean turning out the same thing, over and over. For me, "assembly line" movies are a very bad thing - what's the point of even going if you're going to see the exact same thing over and over? 'S all I meant.

And sure, mindless action movies can be fun, BUT only when they bring something new to the table. I've seen enough people shot in the head by a crusading hero (who is NEVER shot himself) to last my lifetime. Same thing for winning-team sports movies. However, show me a movie with pretty pictures that doesn't trump itself up, like Tomb Raider, and I can like it. Or a "sports" movie that's not about winning, but about feelings, like He Got Game.

By assembly line, I mean turning out the same thing, over and over. For me, "assembly line" movies are a very bad thing - what's the point of even going if you're going to see the exact same thing over and over? 'S all I meant.
It's not the exact same thing. It's just something similar. Sometimes that hits the spot just right. "Rush Hour 2" was pretty much just "Rush Hour" all over again, with a few more cool Chan tricks. That does not automatically make it a bad movie. I must disagree with the notion that a movie has to be anything near significantly original to be good.

And sure, mindless action movies can be fun, BUT only when they bring something new to the table. I've seen enough people shot in the head by a crusading hero (who is NEVER shot himself) to last my lifetime. Same thing for winning-team sports movies. However, show me a movie with pretty pictures that doesn't trump itself up, like Tomb Raider, and I can like it. Or a "sports" movie that's not about winning, but about feelings, like He Got Game.
"He Got Game" was no sports movie, IMO.

Originally posted by TWTCommish

It's not the exact same thing. It's just something similar. Sometimes that hits the spot just right. "Rush Hour 2" was pretty much just "Rush Hour" all over again, with a few more cool Chan tricks. That does not automatically make it a bad movie. I must disagree with the notion that a movie has to be anything near significantly original to be good.

"He Got Game" was no sports movie, IMO.
I guess I see the difference between us - I like movies that attempt originality much more than movies content to live into cliches and overworn plot mechanisms. I'm not saying that you don't like original movies, of course, but you don't seem to get tired of watching things that aren't original. I do. Neither of us is right, or maybe we're both right. I don't know.

He Got Game - fair point.

Oh, I can get tired of them. Movies that have nothing but gunfights bore me. Why? Not because gunfights have been done before, so much as because gunfights almost always bore me...they have as long as I can remember. In one way, some of these movies that try to make you think can be said to be unoriginal...some are just there to mess with you...which isn't very original, IMO. I'm not saying "Vanilla Sky" is like that (I haven't seen it yet), but true originality is pretty hard to find, even in films that seem to offer something new, IMO. I imagine that 99% of the movies in wide release are something old updated and mixed with something somewhat new.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well I'm going to go see it again right now, you better get Mark to go Steve!

But my friend Cody is taking me, and he's not the bestestes driver ever, so I hope I don't die. But I'm taking the risk, Vanilla Sky is worth it.

Well, well, saw the movie today. Hardly the best movie I've seen this month much less this year or any year.

It was like an episode of the Outer Limits disguised as a motion picture. We had a perfectly fine love story/mystery thing going on and then we sink into a weirdo sci-fi movie.

Soundtrack was great though, it really rocked. I can't recall seeing Penelope Cruz in much but I really dug her. Something else that bugged me about the movie was some of the cussing early in the movie. F-buddy and F'ed me 4 times. I thought that was pretty crude and not necessary for this movie.

I guess a few observations, when Cruise gets his faced fixed I knew there was something screwed up. Fixing that mess is not possible. Also, there is a scene where Cruz and Cruise are walking down a snowy street and on the left there is an old VW van and on the right a really really old car. That was another tip that something goofy was going on.

Well, Vanilla Sky isn't original, I guess. I haven't seen the movie it was based on yet, and I don't know how much it stole from it, but if it's a remake obviously it won't be completely original. But then again, it's not like any other movie I've seen before, and especially not like any other Hollywood movie in recent memory, except maybe A.I.. I see too many Hollywood movies that immediately jump into a sea of cliches; Vanilla Sky isn't like that. For me, it connected.

Timing: please use the spoilers tag...it's much more efficient, and as the tag is expanded, you'll be glad you did, most likely. I understand, Steve: it just hit the right spot with you. I can appreciate that...maybe my deal is that MOVIES hit the right spot with me, and I don't mind seeing the same thing slightly modified as a result. I honestly can't say.

Steve, Vanilla Sky is a straight re-make of Open Your Eyes (1997, Spain). I mean COMPLETELY straight. Nothing important is changed at all. There are cosmetic changes, such as the main character's occupation and moving the setting to Manhattan, but otherwise it is very much the same film. Crowe changed almost nothing. Penelope Cruz even played the same role of Sofia in the original.

However, it makes me sad that TWT read part of the spoiler, for this is a movie that should have NOTHING about it spoiled.
Don't feel bad, I don't plan to see it in the theater, and I'm not terribly excited about seeing it at all. I may throw in the towel now that I've already got a basic idea about it all, and just read all the spoilers. My mind's already all set for certain types of twists anyway.

Guy
I saw it tonight.. real good stuff.. I'd nominate it for Best Cinematography, Best Actor (Leading), and best adapted screenplay ... depending on how the other contenders this month turn out it should get some best picture consideration!

I'm still confused as to what happened.

so cameron diaz drove him off the bridge, she died and he scarred his face? So how come some shots showed Diaz with a scarred face?.. also, in his 'dream world' he killed Sophia (Cruz) thinking it was Julie (Diaz), and that is why he's charged for murder? was his face scarred at all in the dream world or what? was anyone as confused as I am at the end? i have to read more about it