Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

LFO (2013) -

I didn't know much about this movie going into it, other than the fact that it was sci-fi, Scandinavian, had something to do with sound (based on the name), and that MonnoM suggested I watch it. Early in the film I was surprised when the main character started talking about Tinnitus, because I've actually intermittently suffered from that condition since I was a kid. It's mostly irrelevant to the plot, but I just wanted to point out what a strange coincidence it was.

Most of the film is intentionally dull (in tone, colours, and pacing), but managed to keep my interest with Robert's increasingly daring experiments, and the occasional laugh or quirky moment. Just when the movie felt like it was going on for too long, there's a shift in tone and character motivation that keeps things fresh for the final act. Despite being rather dark at face value, the end is actually pretty light-hearted and funny. Or perhaps I just have a sick sense of humour.
Did it end up giving you a headache? This film was a pain to get through because of that damn sound. I ****ing loved that ending, I agree it was funny but also rather profound and really clever. Shame you didn't like the film much as a whole.

Did it end up giving you a headache? This film was a pain to get through because of that damn sound. I ****ing loved that ending, I agree it was funny but also rather profound and really clever. Shame you didn't like the film much as a whole.
I did like the movie though. As I've said before, I think
is average, and films scoring lower than that can certainly still be enjoyable. That's why I sent you a PM with a heads up that my rating scale is probably a bit lower than yours.

The movie didn't give me a headache, no. I didn't find it annoying at all, and I thought the sound design was very fitting for the film. It's certainly not the "calming" tone it's initially described as being, but it didn't cause any problems for me.

The ending is definitely my favourite part of the movie. I wasn't quite expecting the film to go there, but at the same time it wasn't at all surprising. It's kind of hard to describe...much like the rest of the movie haha.

I did like the movie though. As I've said before, I think
is average, and films scoring lower than that can certainly still be enjoyable. That's why I sent you a PM with a heads up that my rating scale is probably a bit lower than yours.

The movie didn't give me a headache, no. I didn't find it annoying at all, and I thought the sound design was very fitting for the film. It's certainly not the "calming" tone it's initially described as being, but it didn't cause any problems for me.

The ending is definitely my favourite part of the movie. I wasn't quite expecting the film to go there, but at the same time it wasn't at all surprising. It's kind of hard to describe...much like the rest of the movie haha.

Yeah, I read the PM after I wrote that. We have a different rating system, ha. As I've mentioned in my somewhat-but-not-really review, the sound was the only reason I didn't rate it higher. It gave me a horrible headache afterward. I completely agree about the ending, it wasn't something wholly unexpected, yet it was unexpected and blew me away. I think it's that we knew the path it was taking, we just didn't expect what was at the end of that road.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
One of the biggest surprises for me is that Arnold would do a horror film. Granted it's an action horror, but still.
But, isn't Predator in the Action Horror category?
Where's the horror? It's clearly sci/fi action. More so for Terminator.

But whatever.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Maybe, it depends on the age at which a person first watched it. I always thought it belonged with the scary movies. Terminator less so. I don't remember being scared through End of Days.

Welcome to the human race...
Where's the horror? It's clearly sci/fi action. More so for Terminator.

But whatever.
That whole second act where the crew gets picked off one by one slasher-style? I can concede that it's not that scary but that doesn't make it any less reliant on horror tropes. It's not like The Terminator doesn't have a similarly horror-based premise either - the Terminator clearly owes a debt to Michael Myers in how it is an inhuman/indestructible killer that silently and relentlessly stalks its prey through the night. Just because there are shoot-outs and car chases and time travel doesn't remove it that much from the slasher-like mechanics at its core (though they obvious get replaced by more emphasis on sci-fi and action with each new installment). You can make the case that End of Days is a more straightforward example of horror simply because it doesn't involve sci-fi in any capacity but that would be downplaying the elements in those earlier movies.

Anyway...

Unstoppable -

WARNING: "Unstoppable" spoilers below
It gets stopped

The Guest (2014)

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Importance of Being Earnest

Charming, colorful comedy of manners. I wasn't blown away by it, but I would certainly revisit it again in the future.

The Shallows (2016)

Poor acting, poor cinematography & cgi, thin plot and really dumb movie especially final part of it.
I didn't care about any deaths cause characters were non-existent.
I cringed every time when slow-motion happened.
....and that "amazing" editing with that crappy song when she meets these two dudes... haha.

Warcraft (2016)

One big CGI mess.
Let's be honest Warcraft games have mediocre stories so it was easy to predict that movie won't be good. Everything about characters, plot feels forced and unnatural.
They even failed to make it entertaining. CGI stuff ****ing some other CGI stuff. Seen that too many times. No creativity.
The worst were scenes featuring magic. Made me chuckle. If you take visual aspect then movie wasn't impressive at all. CGI was too noticable, overused and kinda bad in my opinion. Nothing epic.

Movie was made by boring rules. Too safe... They could have done so much more, but they took paper called "How to make another generic action movie" and checked every single line.

I have to return some videotapes...
Tape (2001) -
++

Super seedy film that features great performances from the three stars. Strongly suggest this, really good quiet Linklater film.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tape (2001) -
++

Super seedy film that features great performances from the three stars. Strongly suggest this, really good quiet Linklater film.
A very underrated movie. I love it. It's in real-time, all conversational, in one room, and the conversation is interesting.

Tape (2001) -
++

Yeah, Tape is really good. Are you going through his films right now then? I watched three recently, seen 13 of his now.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Mole People (1956)
+

It wasn't that bad, if you approach it with a positive attitude and some consideration for the time period. If I had to grow up in the 50's, I would have risked life and limb to get my parents' permission to let me watch this film. It would have been one of those greatest things since sliced bread. It was better, more exciting and more imaginative, than many 60's Star Trek episodes I've seen on TV. Acting was more than bearable. There was a babe. Monsters were pretty cool. Make-up was done well enough to be noticed in B/W. I actually wanted to see it through to the end. If you're brave enough, give it a try, but, don't forget your SPF 15.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Problem Child - 5/10

I found this on-demand around 10pm - not a time I watch a serious movie. I saw this as a kid, and thought why not. It's something fun, and even though I'm much older, I still thought it was decent.