The Assassin (Chinese: 聶隱娘)

Tools    

The Assassin (2014) by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

Im really excited about this new feature by master director Hou Hsiao-Hsien. Its been a long time since his last film, Flight of the Red Balloon from 2008. The Assasin is set to be premiered at this years Cannes festival!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Hou has made at least one masterpiece every decade since the 80s, so I'm very hopeful that this will be his 2010s masterpiece. A Hou film with sword fighting is something I could get very into.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
This is premiering at Cannes soon, so we'll be able to see what people think of it soon enough. But in the meantime, some clips have been released of it and are available here.

Hou's last film featured very subtle uses of CG, and in a partially self-reflexive context. This features some actual and readily apparent CG, definitely part of what Hou was talking about when he said he had to change his scale for this. This also seems to be the fastest cut of any Hou film, but I'm hoping that he maintains his contemplative technique. Hou has always been best when working with historical material, so I'm still hopeful for this!