Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) My Man Godfrey (1936)
++ Very delightful cast, story and acting. Pure Hollywood fluff of the time, but purely enjoyable fluff nonetheless.

Assassination (Korean) (2015)
Completely and UTTERLY impressed with this Korean Resistance Fighter movie during World War II. While, most likely, it was far more stylized than historic in any fashion, it still remains captivating and a thoroughly enjoyable film. With so many twists and double and triple dealings it may be hard to follow for some and therefore require a second viewing; that is the one and ONLY critique I have for this film. Intelligently written with dramatic and comedic moments beautifully blended. Every involved brings so much to the screen.
A must see for those enjoy such films!!

Kundo: Age of Rampant (Korean)
+++ A period piece/Action/revenge movie that, like above, mixes comedic elements and drama with fantastic results. Being disgustingly bias when it comes to Korean movies, I, yet again, have nothing but praise for this one.

(REWATCH) The Grand Budapest Hotel
It is NOW OFFICIAL, having stated the first time seeing this that my rating would continually increase with each rewatch, it is now a 5 popcorn rating for me --

Welcome to the human race...
The Bourne Legacy -

So are we ready to give this a second chance in the wake of Jason Bourne or what?

10/10
One of the most rewatchable kung fu movies of all time.
I am in complete agreement with this post

Chinatown

I have watched this probably about 15 times since I first watched it in 2012, I cant say much more than brilliant. Every time I watch it I see new things I like about it more, not only from a film creation stand point but just the way the actors work with each other. I always seem to be engaged even though I know what happens from start to finish. Definitely in my top 3 movies of all time I could even say it is number 1.

4.5/5 (because nothing is perfect )

The Big Sleep (1946)

I didn't remember any of this after 20 years. Bogart is fantastic and has some great dialogue to work with. The rest of the cast does well too. After about a third of the way through, I was thinking this would be a new favorite. I loved the story at first, and I normally favor plot rich movies, but I got a little sick of trying to follow this one. For once, I would have been happy with less plot so I could just enjoy the interplay between the characters. With more viewings and understanding, I'm sure my feelings would grow stronger.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dark Places (2015)

This is a mystery/thriller that has Charlize Theron playing a woman who has been living off of stranger's donations ever since her mother and two sisters were murdered when she was a little girl. Her testimony helped put her brother, who dabbled in satanic worship, in prison. She is about broke when she gets a letter from someone offering to pay her to make an appearance. The person is a part of a club, sort of like Movie Forums, except the people follow true crime stories and actually meet. These people believe her brother is innocent, and from there we spend half of the movie with Theron investigating the facts of that night, and the other half being shown what actually happened. This is worth watching if you like twisted serial killer types of movies. The direction is merely adequate, but the story stays interesting. Also starring Christina Hendricks, Chloe Grace Moretz, Tye Sheridan, and Drea de Matteo.
The problem with this film is how 'basic' it all is. The performances, the direction, the plot. It screams for something more, but it just didn't deliver on those things.

Even the ending, which I'm assuming if suppose to shock you, makes you roll your eyes (I did). In terms of Flynn novels, Gone Girl is obviously better and the film is better as well. It would have been interesting to see someone with a better directing resume tackle this story.

Suspect's Reviews

Runaway Jury (2003)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Shallows (2016)

Poor acting, poor cinematography & cgi, thin plot and really dumb movie especially final part of it.
I didn't care about any deaths cause characters were non-existent.
I cringed every time when slow-motion happened.
....and that "amazing" editing with that crappy song when she meets these two dudes... haha.
I couldn't agree more, this movies a joke. The cgi is almost as bad as deep blue sea. On that note deep blue see is a class above, if not more.

The Shallows (2016)

Poor acting, poor cinematography & cgi, thin plot and really dumb movie especially final part of it.
....and that "amazing" editing with that crappy song when she meets these two dudes... haha.
I couldn't agree more, this movies a joke. The cgi is almost as bad as deep blue sea. On that note deep blue see is a class above, well above.
I watched this garbage last week. It was way overhyped. Like you say, the CGI look worse than a 90's disaster film, and the story is just ridiculous. I mean the odds of just being slightly wounded by a great white must be astronomical. And as for the ending..what the hell?!

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Shallows (2016)

I couldn't agree more, this movies a joke. The cgi is almost as bad as deep blue sea. On that note deep blue see is a class above, well above.
I watched this garbage last week. It was way overhyped. Like you say, the CGI look worse than a 90's disaster film, and the story is just ridiculous. I mean the odds of just being slightly wounded by a great white must be astronomical. And as for the ending..what the hell?!
I know!!! Lol. And how many coincidences wanted to happen. Oh jellyfish, oh whale blubber, oh drunk Mexican, of earrings that are sharp for stiching. I could go on, can't believe some were saying this is the best shark movie since jaws.

Miss„o dada ť miss„o cumprida!

06/10
The first hour was great and then...well, it sucks until the end, the end was great again.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The 13th Warrior (1999) Rewatch

"Give an arab a sword and he turns it into a knife."*Cuts a 3' log in half, flips the blade with remarkable dexterity*It works."*Looks at him for a second*"When you die, can I give that to my daughter?"

From the director of Die hard and the man who wrote Jurassic park comes...a tale of an arabic envoy getting imbedded with vikings and fights demon cannibals? I'M SO IN!!!

This is somthing of a weakspot for me. Bad action shlock. This is the kind of movie I sit down with my dad on a friday night after work and just rattle off a couple of. Movies with a paperthin story, characters that are so thin they should be transparant and action scenes galore. It's the Rush hours, Under sieges, Leathal weapons, Commandos and The Rocks of the world...and how I love them. I genuinely think all those I rattled off above are awesome, including this one. Do I realize they have faults (like, humongous, gaping flawes)? Yes, of course. I can't with a strait face call any of them essential viewing or really well written, but I still love them. As soon as they start, whatever part of my brain that's trying to tell me that this is garbage gets...well, not turned off, I realize that the faults are there, but perhaps temporarily muted is a better discription. That's how I can sit through arnie's continuosly expanding/shrinking ammo belt from the final shoot-out in Commando, for instans.

This movie, though, sits on the higher levels of quality when it comes to these kinds of movies. Not many goofs as far as I've noticed, wierd line readings and strange repetitions are here aplenty but other than that there's not much. Except the supporting characters of course. They are thin, very thin. Except for Banderas character, they often don't get names until after they're dead. The IMDB page had to atribute them adjectives after their names so they could distinguish them from one another, which I found hilarious. The list reads as if they're listing off-brand dwarves who got cut from Snow White.

But back on topic. Banderas plays a arabic poet living in Baghdad. After making goo-goo eyes at the wrong girl he gets banished by the sultan and sent as an envoy to the north. On the way...north I guess, they never did specify where he was going, he rests at a river that happens to be the site of a funeral. A viking chief is to be set ablaze and Banderas is invited to the festiveties. The morning after a ship docks and the new chief gets summond home to defend a village under attack. An oracle fortells that 13 warriors must go, but that the 13th can't be from the north. Cue Banderas getting pulled into the procedings. Now he must travel even further than he thought and on top of it all, he has to fight. And he can't speak the language.

But here somthing happens that pretty much results in the 5/5 you saw above. On the journey north, this happens:

Over several nights sitting at the capfires (we're probably talking about weeks if not months of travel compressed into a few shots) Banderas slowly picks up a word here, a frase there, until the culmination of one night, when he answers an insult and gives back in kind. This is probably the best visual representation of a character suddenly being able to understand people who don't speak the same language. A lazier director would've simply ignored the fact that they spoke norse and arabic, or simply had a character act as an interpreter throughout. I allways liked how they handled the same problem in The Hunt for Red October. They start out speaking russian, then tightening in on their mouths and when they zoomed out again they were speaking english. We as the audience understand that they're still speaking russian, but now we understand what they're saying without having the actors actually learning russian or us reading subtitles continously. This, though, blew October out of the water, if you could forgive the pun. This is the single best scene in the entire movie.

Oh, and when they get there they find out some kind of demon cannibals are ravishing the village or whatever.

This movie is a favourite of mine in the action shlock genre. See it for that scene and some awesome viking fighting, but if you need a complex story of deep characters to be entertained, go somewhere else. I do, I like those things too, when I'm in that mood. But I also realize that some mindnumbing action is also sometimes required.

#FollowFriday:
I care about Syfy movies far more than I should. Obviously it's a bad movie, but it's not very fun, and I hate it when 40 year old writers and directors use film as a medium to make fun of 20 year olds.

War Dogs:
The least good entry into the quickly growing "comedies about real-life people chasing the American Dream" genre. It's a fine movie if you want to watch it, and has a great Jonah Hill performance, but I agree with the consensus that you should just stay home and rent Pain & Gain or The Big Short.

I have to return some videotapes...
I was kinda in a Tobey mood last night...

Brothers (2009) -

Might fall lower if I ever watched it again, horrible direction and pretty bad character development, but Tobey was amazing towards the end of the film.

Wonder Boys (2000) -

Tobey once again brilliant, as well as the rest of the cast. Really got into the themes this movie grapples with, great screenplay.