My top lonely heroes films

→ in
Tools    

15. A beautiful mind

This movie touched me on many levels. The psychology of the movie was intriguing, the mathematical philosophies was actually realistic from my own experience, and the icing on the cake making the movie stand out was surprisingly the humanistic side of Love. While love is a common basis in most movies, the interaction of this theme with other aspects of the plot was planned phenomenlly.

14. Drive

The film is an electric mixture of beautiful, lingering cinematography, a pulsating soundtrack, lean dialogue and short bursts of graphic, bloody violence. It's tense and involving- almost impossible not to get immersed in. Nicolas Winding Refn is a Director to definitely keep a tab on.

13. Last cab to Darwin

I thought this one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time and up there with the Castle and the Dish. I thought the acting throughout good and especially Michael Caton and the actor who played Tilley who I found to be a lovable rogue. The story line was sad, but was very thought provoking when thinking about and discussion euthanasia. All in all I really enjoyed the story and especially loved seeing the outback of Australia

12. The station agent

'The Station Agent' is a masterpiece of fine acting, with Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson and Bobby Cannavale delivering pitch-perfect, bell-ringing performances. As the reticent dwarf, Dinklage is particularly brilliant at creating a character out of little more than body language and facial expressions

11. Lars and the real girl

It's a story of openness and the importance of allowing what you first think is unacceptable and different, is actually completely acceptable. The film draws you in, changes your initial beliefs and provides a wonderful message at the same time. It's a heartwarming, feel good film that will stay with you long after you leave the theater. Lars and his ''real girl' taught me more about life and love.

10. Speak

The story is solid, and it was a very good adaption of the novel. The book put a lot of focus on Melinda's artwork, and it is even more powerful to see it on screen. Kristen Stewart performs well in this film, probably because her flat affect and often blank expressions fit so well with the character. She does well with the few lines within the film itself, and an even better job of narrating it. Kristen narrates with an air of pained dissociation, which rings very true for anyone who has or works with people suffering with Post-Traumatic Stress. There is also a heartfelt performance by Steve Zahn, as the only adult who reaches out to Melinda and gives her exactly what she needs—a tool to process her emotions.

9. Into the wild

I found Into the Wild to be a gripping, thoughtful film. The script was good, but sometimes a bit pretentious - occasionally crossing the line between character development and character worship. Penn's direction and cinematography are masterful. The acting - every member of the cast included - is absolutely excellent.

8. Nell

Nell is one of the most captivating, moving and thought provoking films I have ever seen in my life. The acting all round is superb, including a truly fine performance by Jodie Foster. This film is nothing short of spectacular, boasting a strong script, beautiful scenery and excellent direction. Overall, Nell is nothing short of breath taking

7. One hour photo

Much of ''One Hour Photo'' informs the audience through visual stylization. The cinematography is as finely detailed as Sy himself. Williams inhabits a carefully selected color scheme, a world of harsh whites and washed-out blues, illuminated by the glare of fluorescent bulbs. Director Mark Romanek pays more attention to this style than giving depth to his characters and plotting, exploring Sy's psychosis but never really delving into the reasons behind it. A disturbing yet compelling film that pulls you in solely on the merit of Williams' fantastic performance.

6. The man who wasn't there

This film is about pictures. It is in black and white to let you focus on the different shades of gray. Don't think of old, low quality films from the beginning of the movies. This is high-quality pictures, exploring the full range of contrasts. Think of black and white photographs showing close-ups of faces, where you can see so many details of the skin. In fact, all the scenes are so carefully composed you might have the impression of looking at an artistic photographer album.

5. The blue hour

This is a very moving film. I really enjoyed it. All the actors were excellent! I especially liked the music and the story between the Armenian parents. The images of the Los Angeles river were really beautiful set against the freeway. I've never seen a film like this with so little dialog yet I hardly noticed.

4. The conversation

The Conversation is a quiet film that slowly builds on the central theme of paranoia. Gene Hackman is hired to record a conversation between two people. As Hackman pieces the dialouge together, we get to hear more and more of what's being said. Only thing is, we don't know exactly what is being referred to. Hackman seems to have an idea, as does the audience. As he starts to realize what's at stake, Hackman starts to develop a feeling of regret and refuses to hand over the tapes to the "director." Along the way, we see just how alone Gene Hackman's character is. His only solace in life is playing the saxaphone along with jazz records. He values his privacy and has trouble connecting with people, even members of his own team. Francis Ford Coppola keeps the story moving and lets it build naturally. He gives us glimpses into Hackman's mind as he "thinks" he knows what's going to happen to the people he recorded. The only way to see what happens in the end is to watch this quiet masterpiece

3. Fight club

I love this film because of the twist. It makes you think, and made me watch it multiple times. Fantastic writing and the actors really sold the film to me. I love this type of dark film. The director and the director of photography also did a wonderful job...I love the scenes in the abandoned buildings...They add to the darkness of the film. This film is unmatched in it's performance and in a class all by itself. The gritty film noir type has been copied, but never duplicated. The dual personality of the lead actor was delivered wonderfully as was the supporting actor. Brad Pitt delivers a stellar performance and makes us believe there is actually another person in the movie when there was not.

2. Taxi driver

Overall an impressive and morally depressing film that deserves its place in cinematic history. The portrayal of a city and a man slipping into moral insanity is convincing and engaging and it shows how well to "do" modern madness and the effects of the moral void of parts of society. Scorsese directs as a master despite this being at an early stage in his career and De Niro is chillingly effective as he simply dominates the film in quiet moments and quotable moments alike

1. Jeremiah Johnson

Filmed entirely on location in the vast wilderness beauty of Utah, Jeremiah Johnson is light on plot but all the better for it. Film basically constitutes Redford's mountain man learning to survive up in them thar mountains, and, earning the right to do so. A number of issues will arise to test his metal, giving him a number of hardships and adventures to define his transformation from average Joe to a fully fledged mythical man of the Earth. Redford is wonderfully at ease in the title role, and very quickly he gets the audience on side to share in his journey. But ultimately it's the landscapes that you take away from this movie. Not only gorgeous, but also the critical character that frames Johnson during his isolation and battle for survival

That's it everybody comment and rep all you like.

Hope u have enjoyed this list