Repo! The Genetic Opera

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
This looks pretty good

Release Date: TBA
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Darren Lynn Bousman
Screenwriter: Terrence Zdunich, Darren Smith
Starring: Sarah Brightman, Anthony Head, Paris Hilton, Bill Moseley, Paul Sorvino, Alexa Vega, Kevin Ogilvie
Genre: Musical, Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: Repo-Opera.com
Review: 8/10 rating
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: View here
Plot Summary: Set in the not-so-distant future, the production tells the story of an epidemic of organ failures that devastates the planet, killing tens of millions. As scientists feverishly make plans for a massive organ harvest program, a multi-billion dollar biotech company called GeneCo begins to manufacture salvation -- for a price -- offering simple payment plans to those lacking the necessary funds to purchase new body parts outright. But all financed organs are subject to default procedures, including repossession at the hand of the notorious organ repo men.

Trailer (4.7.08):
Flash Player (click 'Repo! Trailer')

5 Behind-the-Scenes Clips (10.20.07):
Flash Player, Various

copy of here

If there is already a thread cut off my left foot, I searched Repo!

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
*********, I was going to start my own thread on this twisted little gem, but unfortunately (or fortunately however you look at it) I used the Search function and found this oddly neglected thread.

Anyway, it looks and sounds completely insane, bizarre, and at the same time brilliant. Now, I'm normally no fan of musicals (I almost vomited during The Sound of Music, so sue me) but this is just dark enough and just twisted enough to garner my rabid interest (rather like Sweeney Todd).

The basic premise itself is unique and somewhat terrifying --> a giant company, disguised as a benefactor (and in a way it is) to the human race that repossess unpaid organs by, yes, hunting down their owners and slicing the organ from their living bodies. Awesome, right? Right.

Then we have the idea of a 'rock opera', which, too, is both bizarre and yet strangely appealing. It at least goes against almost every musical convention in terms of style.

Finally, the visual style and storyline of the movie. The visuals I would call a mix of Grindhouse (oh yes I did), Bladerunner, and Soylent Green, not to mention a touch of the bizarre luminosity in that wash of crappy 80s film like Robocop 2 (glowing grafitti? give me some of whatever you're smoking, man).

So what we have here is violence, dark humour, rock, stunning visuals, and one of the most bizarre stories I've come across in awhile. A last though: fans of the video game Bioshock rejoice, this is YOUR movie.

Anyway, some visual to end things:

EDIT: The official site: http://www.repo-opera.com/
and a sick poster from said site:

The release date is November 7, 2008. I can't wait for it come out, it looks scary.

It does sound very dark and im looking forward to see it only one problem Paris Hilton Why oh why is she in it?
Yeah, that does bother me quite a bit as well.

I'll just continue my hope that she can somehow pull an amazing performance out from her belt.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Looks interesting.

I'll check it out just for the weird vibe I get from it.

Plus it has Giles!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, Usual. Good wording. This film gives me a sort of odd vibe as well... I actually keep getting more hyped for it, and that's rare with me and musicals.