Underworld 3: The Rise of the Lycans

Tools    

Underworld 3: The Rise of the Lycans

Release Date: TBA
Studio: Screen Gems (Sony)
Director: Patrick Tatopoulos
Screenwriter: Danny McBride
Starring: Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Rhona Mitra

This prequel story traces the origins of the centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires known as Death Dealers and their onetime slaves, the Lycans.

In the Dark Ages, a young Lycan named Lucian (Sheen) emerges as a powerful leader who rallies the werewolves to rise up against Viktor (Nighy), the cruel vampire king who has enslaved them. Lucian is joined by his secret lover, Sonja (Mitra), in his battle against the Death Dealer army and his struggle for Lycan freedom.

FX artist Patrick Tatopoulos, who developed the creatures for the first two films, is directing.

Lost in never never land
Hopefully this will be more on par with the first one then the second one, but I am excited simply because it is a vampire film, and therefore interesting to me. It sounds like it might focus more on the werewolves (lycans) then on the vampires, but when I go and watch it, I will be watching it for the vampires.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I love the first 2 films and this would interest me. I think it would be a cool idea making a 3rd. The whole Vampire V Lycan is great.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, with a make-up artist directing, I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Besides, without Selene, this series doesn't have much to offer.

Oh Lord, look I'll be honest I never thought this was a very good franchise, rather light on story and thin on substance. Blade and even to a lesser extent Vanhelsing dealt with with this material much better. Okay, just imagine these movies sans Kate Beckinsale, what you're left with is about as filling as a rice crisp at Ponderosa.

...uh the post is up there...

These movies, for sure, have their entertainment value. Even so, anyone going to see them, and looking to see a 'good film' are going to be sorely disappointed. The trick, I think, is taking these movies with a grain of salt.

I personally liked the first one (the second not so much) and if this prequel holds up to the first, I'll be a happy camper. Besides, it's dealing with the histories of some really cool characters.

I'll see it, sure.

The first made just $51 million domestically. They made a sequel. The sequel made $62 million domestically; still not much. And here they are, making a third.

Thinking that movies had to at least make some money to garner sequels, I poked around a bit, and was stunned to see that the first film had a budget of $22 million (according to IMDB, at least). The second was around $50 million. So sure enough, these are plenty profitable...especially the first one. I hated the movie, but from a technical standpoint I'm extremely impressed with its look now that I know how little it cost.

Let this be a lesson to all aspiring amateur filmmakers: bathing your characters in blue lighting can be a great substitute for actual effects.

So...the trick is not to make an original, well-developed and engaging movie, but instead to pinch as many pennies as possible.

No Beckinsdale. No Box office. Period!

I'm so excited for Underworld 3: The Rise of the Lycans!
I'm definitely going to see it.

The Lord of the Rings

Beware The Probe!
Ok, I was a little worried about Kate Beckinsdale not being in this one but Doomsday's Rhona Mitra isn't a bad replacement. I think she could keep my attention as Sonja at least as much as Kate did as Selene.

I love the Underworld movies. This one should be good too if they keep their production standards up.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
The first Underworld movie dissappointed me so greatly that I've yet to see the second. Unless, that is I got the DVD and forgot about it. That's certainly a possibility.

I'm not drooling for a third in any case. In fact, I'm irritated at how bad the first one was when it could have been so good.

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
If they do a decent job of it then it should be a good movie. Kate Beckinsdale isn't that great of an actress anyways so its not a real loss. She was just the eye candy to try and make it more of a hit with the male audience, and the confused female audience.

Never liked Kate in the movies. Yes, she was hot, but she didn't suit the role. I don't have high hopes for this franchise, Mitra isn't exactly the best actress, or the hottest, out there and vampire movies have been done to death decades ago.

twofifty.org