Game of Thrones Season 3

Tools    

In the Beginning...
In general, I've been a bit annoyed at how "put together" some of the characters seem.

Maybe it's just me, but I always pictured the Ghiscari as really swarthy, hairy, sweaty, lavishly adorned... not the clean-cut, contemporary look that some of them had. They shouldn't look like they've walked off the street in LA, thrown on a robe, and had a bit of eye liner painted on. Another one that bothers me is Craster. He was gruff and surly and wrapped in furs, but... I don't know, he still came off as a bit too "clean" to me.

Also, way too many characters are white. Thoros is Myrish, so he should have been a bit darker skinned. Daario Naharis is Tyroshi, so he's horribly miscast also. Some of the Ghiscari even looked like white guys, which is so odd. And I know Melisandre has historically been visualized as white, but she's from Asshai—you'd think she would be a bit more exotic than an Anglo-Saxon-esque woman with a generic accent.

But I guess this is inevitable when you're talking about a television show. For some reason, TV shows often don't seem to be able to bring in as diverse and interesting actors as films do.

Yeah, there's a real cyclical thing. I'm pretty sure there are far fewer minority actors, but then, if people don't hire as many, there will continue to be few of them. And 'round and 'round we go.

Hopefully it's just the result of each individual person being awesome for the part. They've certainly done a great job overall so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Must be doin sumthin right
The Dornish are described in the books as having all different skin tones. I'm good with it if they more or less stick to Dorne = Latin America, Essos = Northern Africa/Middle East. Melisandre being just "vaguely foreign" seems about right and, even though Thoros is from Myr, I'm pretty sure he's white in the books

By the way, do most people who've never read the books actually enjoy the show at this point? I watched every episode this past season with non-reader friends and it was obvious how bored they were for looooong stretches of scenes. I definitely feel like if I didn't read the books I'd have a real hard time following certain plot strands or even caring about a lot of characters. There's something about this show where it seems to me people almost have to convince themselves they like it

In the Beginning...
By the way, do most people who've never read the books actually enjoy the show at this point? I watched every episode this past season with non-reader friends and it was obvious how bored they were for looooong stretches of scenes. I definitely feel like if I didn't read the books I'd have a real hard time following certain plot strands or even caring about a lot of characters.
Agreed, although I'm betting that folks who haven't read the books are able to stick it out during the "boring" parts because they're invested enough by now in the juciest threads, which probably differ from person to person.

Missed Red Viper casting! Just come back from Morocco and that screamed Dorne in certain areas. Would love a hint of Marrakesh in their locations.

In the Beginning...
'Game of Thrones' casts 'Sherlock' actor in season 4

This is the sort of casting us geeky TV bloggers dream about: A Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Sherlock combo!

Mark Gatiss will appear in the fourth season of HBO’s Thrones. The British writer-producer-actor has written Doctor Who novels and episodes of the BBC cult classic, as well as acted on the long-running series (since 2007, he’s credited to three different roles on IMDB). In addition, Gatiss is the co-creator and co-star of another Brit-based favorite, Sherlock, where he plays Holmes’ dryly mysterious brother Mycroft. Now he’s booked on HBO’s fantasy hit next year.

On Thrones he will play …

Well, that’s something we cannot reveal. The Thrones team is keeping Gatiss’ role quiet. Maybe showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss will say more at their Comic-Con panel on Friday? Also, Sherlock is making its first-ever SDCC panel appearance on Thursday (I’m moderating) so maybe Gatiss will spill something then. EW.com will bring you full coverage of both events, plus we will stream our own interviews with the Thrones and Sherlock producers on the EW.com homepage.

While Thrones added numerous new roles for its second and third seasons, population growth is slowing considerable for season four (the show already has a larger cast than any drama on television). Gatiss joins fellow season 4 newcomer Pedro Pascal, who will play the key role of Prince Oberyn “The Red Viper” Martell. Also, yesterday we revealed the list of directors for season 4.
From his general "look and feel," I'd say he's playing Mace Tyrell. But I'm not sure why that would be secret-worthy. I guess it's possible he's playing Victarion Greyjoy (although that would be a pretty lightweight choice), or even the Damphair. Guess we'll see.

Yeah, they had a very short scene with Damphair back in season 2, when he baptized Theon, but I've been wondering if they were necessarily going to use the same guy or not. I expect he'll be recast, the way Clegane was.

That guy is too slim to be Mace, but I suppose girth doesn't matter as long as the portrayal is on point. Perhaps he will be playing the Magnar of Thenn. Or perhaps Euron or Coldhands, which would explain the secrecy better than if he was Styr

In the Beginning...
Seems a little too old, uptight and "square" to play Euron. (Really, is there anyone else better for that role than Mads Mikkelsen?) I guess he could play Coldhands, since the character is mostly covered, but he still doesn't seem gritty enough.

I'm really hoping he's playing the Damphair. That would be a pretty reasonable casting decision, I think.

Seems a little too old, uptight and "square" to play Euron. (Really, is there anyone else better for that role than Mads Mikkelsen?)
Love the choice, but season two of Hannibal (which is quite good) is probably premiering around the same time, so I'm guessing the shooting schedule would be a bit of a hurdle.

Mads will always be Euron, even of he isn't.

I wouldn't expect Damphair to be cast at all. He is completely irrelevant in show canon. We'll be lucky if we even get Victarion.

In the Beginning...
Love the choice, but season two of Hannibal (which is quite good) is probably premiering around the same time, so I'm guessing the shooting schedule would be a bit of a hurdle.
Ah, yeah. Good point.

Maybe his brother, Lars? Or Mark Strong? He's become something of a name actor recently, but he might still be just marginal enough for this series.

For Victarion, really, it's got to be Ray Stevenson. If not him, then Vladimir Kulich would make a decent choice, but he might be a bit too grizzled. And the accent doesn't really agree with the Greyjoy family.

Originally Posted by hapax_legomena
I wouldn't expect Damphair to be cast at all. He is completely irrelevant in show canon. We'll be lucky if we even get Victarion.
They might just go back to the same actor who played Damphair before and keep him a very minor character. I think we'll get Victarion, though. His role in the books seemed to be growing and they haven't eschewed a POV character yet, have they?

As far as the show goes, that guy was just a random priest and not Damphair. I do agree that Victarion should be in the show, but there is a lot of speculation that Euron will be the only Greyjoy brother, and that Asha may take over the role of Victarion. That is if they even go down the road of his storyline, which they might just cut out completely. This seems plausible, especially of Victarion kicks it in Winds of Winter, which I feel like he might. I'm really pulling for Vic in the show though, he's a cool character and I enjoy reading his chapters. Damphair sucks though, so I'm glad they'll probably cut him completely.

I like Damphair. And I actually think the entire dynamic among the Greyjoy peeps is kinda cool, and would be a little more appreciated it if it didn't come at the expense of all the other storylines readers would (understandably) prefer to read about. Taken in a vacuum, I dig it.

That said, yeah, the whole situation is a prime candidate for compression on the show. I will not be surprised by it and I doubt I'll have an issue with it.

In the Beginning...
I do agree that Victarion should be in the show, but there is a lot of speculation that Euron will be the only Greyjoy brother, and that Asha may take over the role of Victarion.
I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, that's definitely plausible.

Also, I didn't think anything of your usage of "Asha" just now. I routinely forget that she has a different name on the show. The "Yara" thing is so stupid.

Whenever they say "Yara" on the show, it cuts right through me. It's sad because there actually are people who would get confused between Asha and Osha. I still think it was stupid to change her name. Why not change the name of the hardly relevant wildling??

I love the Greyjoys in general, but Damphair chapters are a snoozefest most of the time. I also don't find his character to be all that interesting. You do get some more insight on the Drowned God and the iron born's religion though, which I enjoy.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Season 3 of GOT was so ****ing badass. Can't wait to see how they do season 4. Some of the best moments in the entire asoiaf saga shall be shown on screen/

In the Beginning...
Ellaria Sand has been cast.

Actress Indira Varma has been cast in season four. Varma will play Ellaria Sand on the show, the sexually adventurous paramour of a key new character, Prince Oberyn Martell “The Red Viper” (played by Pedro Pascal).

Since playing Niobe on HBO’s Rome, Varma has had roles on Fox’s Human Target along with UK dramas Silk and Hunted. Last year, the production added fellow Rome actor Ciarán Hinds.

Varma joins fellow season 4 new hires Pascal and Sherlock writer-actor Mark Gatiss. Coming off the show’s highest-rated and most-Emmy-nominated season yet, last week at Comic-Con, Thrones producers and cast told EW they expect season 4 will be the show’s best.

“We got more action, which is obviously more time consuming,” says showrunner David Benioff. “It’s a brutal shooting season ahead. But if we can make it through, yeah, I think it’s going to surpass season three. The last 3 episodes, there’s so many scenes we’ve been waiting for so long to do. And it just gets more and more fun to write for these characters. After three years of doing it, we have that much more comfort to make everything uncomfortable for them. We’re very excited for it.”