Game of Thrones Season 3

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Pretty lame finale. I expected a little more mustard behind it. I agree with Austruck: it seems D & D wanted to end on something uplifting, but it came off as pretty hollow and definitely went on too long. I don't think it was as resonant as they had hoped. It just seems odd to end it with Danaerys becoming "mother" to slaves. That's important too, but it makes for a weak cliffhanger. People want to know when she's returning to Westeros; now it must seem like she'll be staying a while.

Introducing Ramsay Snow and "Reek" was a welcome inclusion, but I felt like they hovered too much on Davos/Gendry/Stannis/Melisandre. Those scenes chewed up precious time but added little, other than sending Gendry off (a la Edric Storm) and establishing Stannis' next move. Both of those could have been handled in half the time.

There should have been a bit more fallout from the Red Wedding. People expect it. In this episode, we get only the opening scenes and Arya's attack on Frey soldiers (vain attempt to give viewers some semblance of "payback"?). Now we wait a year for the next season. Will the Red Wedding still feel as shocking and awful and immediate as it should?

Jon's scenes were weird, but I actually liked the moment shared by he and Ygritte. It should have happened an episode ago (it makes no sense that she would be unaccompanied), but it was still an emotional bit of acting that actually rose above what we've seen thus far from the two of them. Still, it was a bit too melodramatic.

Re: Asha (Yara). Seems to me they needed a scene between she and Balon for a couple reasons, but now need to get her to Deepwood Motte where she's supposed to be. That's probably where she'll start next season.

Biggest disappointments:

WARNING: "Season Finale" spoilers below
No Lady Stoneheart. No Coldhands. No bungee-jumping Balon Greyjoy.

Catelyn's resurrection would have been an awesome surprise whammy for viewers and obviously would have taken some sting out of the Red Wedding without mussing the story too much. Coldhands, even just a brief appearance, would have been a nice bone to throw to readers. (I got kind of excited when Bran and company were heading down the Nightfort's tunnel and you could see an animal shape at the end. For a second, I thought it was an elk...)

Balon's death... eh, I could take it or leave it. But it would have jazzed people up with some hope that Joffrey, finally, might be next.

The Arya scene wasn't really a vain attempt at revenge, it was just them finally giving us Arya killing since they waited so damn long + killed the Tickler last season. It was pretty much a combination of the guard she kills at Harrenhal and her killing the Tickler. They apparently wanted to wait until Arya had gone through and seen such unimaginable bullsh*t until she finally snapped and turned psycho killer.

I thought it was a great episode except for the ending. Not because of the potential scenes they could have used, it was just too rushed and cheesily executed. That said, in second watching did notice they symmetry between Jon and Dany being carried away by their people. Considering Jon is the second main character, they really need to start doing his story justice - Ghost, the NW post Crasters keep, Sam the Slayer, the Wight army that disappeared, Horn of Jormund (sp?). At least Aemon was back.

I always enjoy Stannis, Dillane and Cunningham knock it out the park for me. Two of the best castings and performances. It did feel like they'd shuffled a lot of Dragonstone scenes from previous episodes into the last one. Don't mind though. Did they make Stannis going to the wall as obvious in the books? And what will happen to Gendry?

Kind of glad Balon had some scenes because he's great and enjoy Yara too. Not sure where he story is going mind. Interesting deviation. Very curious for Euron and Victarion, half thinking its just to give her slightly more interesting scenes to introduce dialogue with them in. Doubt we'll see them till S5. My image of them doesn't tie with Balon being their brother so, after Red Viper- most intrigued on their casting.

WARNING: "LS" spoilers below
Amazed they missed this. Was convinced, considering episode title it would happen. I know in book story it happens later but in time between reading that and RW, this week is a lot closer. The only defence I've really seen is if she came now wouldn't have anything to do next season. But she doesn't really have much to do anyway until meeting Brienne. When/do you think we'll see her or will Blackfish be taking revenge??

Pleased with season overall, back to loyalty of the first and avoided a lot of missteps from S2. The burning of Winterfell never really seemed a mystery enough fitting of finale reveal a season later and Ramsays reveal was a bit weak. But then I knew it was coming. Imagine it will be remembered for the RW more than anything but there were finer moments which must be a testament to its success. More Arya and The Hound please

I am the Watcher in the Night
The finale seems to be getting mixed reviews from you guys but I really enjoyed it, I actually think it was the 3rd best episode this season, just behind the red wedding and of course the ep where beric was revealed and fought the hound.

The ending was a bit cheesy but there is only so much torment producers and writers can throw at our tv screens, think about it, this episode had a mutilated robb stark, theon greyjoy lose his favourite toy and a litlle girl stab a man in the throat. I'm really excited for season 4 as I know what the first half will hold...or what I expect it to show us, unless they move things around because the second half could drag on a bit.

There have been a few things shuffled around this season and some totally unnecessary changes/additions/omissions from the show but it really can't be helped. Still the strongest and most consistent show on TV ... well Hannibal is giving it a run for it's money.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

/scroll

I agree with PyroTramp. There needs to be more Hound & Arya. Very Lone Wolf and Cub-like.

Pretty big error in the last episode: The letter Ramsay sent to Balon was signed Ramsay Snow, not Ramsay Bolton.

It also appeared to be written in ink and not blood, but that doesn't bother me quite as much.

Eh. I'd like the southern people to be more racially distinct, because I think it emphasizes the size and scope of the world better...but it's still of secondary importance to the performance. If that guy nails...

WARNING: "Upcoming Game of Thrones stuff" spoilers below
...the banter with Tyrion while riding towards King's Landing, all will be forgiven.

I have faith in his acting abilities because I have faith in Nina Gold and the rest of the casting crew, but the only thing that concerns me is how not dark skinned he is. Hopefully they don't follow this similar direction with the rest of Dorne, and have more racially diverse actors cast... if they even cast other Dornish characters.