The ole' genie in a bottle question...

Tools    

Yeah, yeah... you get three wishes but here's a new spin:

Rule #1 - No philanthropical wishes... i.e. no "I wish for world peace" (or whirled peas ), you must be selfish!

Rule #2 - No wishing for wishes

Rule #3 - No personal enrichment, i.e. no money, gold, jewels and so forth (though they can be an indirect result of your wish).

So, apply the rules and tell us your 3.

Awesome thread.

Wish #1: wisdom. Hands down. I pray for it every night. With wisdom will come many other things

Wish #2: love. Someone whom I can truly connect and become one with.

Wish #3: humility. I'll need it...especially after wish #1.

I don't think I've ever attempted to answer this question before. The answers will probably change over time for me, as I continue to grow and understand myself, the world and the universe more.

1. I want a holodeck. You know, the Star Trek kind. I'm not sure how much info it would have, but definately TONS. I'd be able to learn languages, study history, build my body, play all kinds of games, live out fantasies and much more. I would be the only one able to detect or use it, and I would be able to use it whenever I wanted to. While in it, I would seem to not exist to everyone else, although time would still pass, so I would still get hungry, grow old, etc. I wouldn't want it to be TOO realistic, because I wouldn't want to completely lose touch with reality, or lose too much interest in the universe outside of the holodeck.

2. I want to be able to read people's minds. I'd be able to turn it off and on. I'm not sure who I'd be able to read. Anyone physically close enough to me? Anyone who I've seen? Anyone in the world or universe? That last one would be another great power in itself, being able to know about everyone alive.

3. A fountain of youth and health. This would also be accessible to and seen by only me. I'd be able to grow old and die if I wanted to, but I'd be able to use the fountain to heal myself and make or keep myself youthful whenever I wanted. I'd still be able to get killed by a bus or a shot in the head. Oh well; I guess I'd just have to be real careful about that kind of thing. Having no chance at undesired death at all and knowing it would probably be kind of dull.

As for love, I have felt it and will probably feel it again. I don't want to have TOO much control over it, although my wishes (especially the second and third ones) would give me added control over how much I love and what I do about it.

I want to struggle with wisdom and humility on my own, rather than have full wisdom and humility given to me. It's part of the fun of living.

Wish #1: Invulnerability. Whether it be blade, bullet, or virus.

Wish #2: Self-teleportation. To be able to travel and see in a form of a sightless gas, and to be able to "reappear" wherever I wish.

Wish#3: Strength of Samson. Give me the strength to tear down buildings with mine own hands.

Er, hohum...I must be fantasizing about revenge again...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

1. Wisdom, its what i need more of! I could do with it right now

2. A sword, just because i love magic and swords and could protect me against evil, so its not really a wealth thing.

3. undecided, i know i want love but i could never wish for it because i would never know if the love "she" felt for more would be true and that would be a burden.

wait no i wish for the fighting/acrobatic abilities of Jackie Chan!

A novel adaptation.
Oh jeez, I think about these all the time, and yet surprisingly, I have no ready answer.
Here goes:

1: To freeze time. Not in some wussy way, like I'd be frozen too, but in a cool kind of way, where I could move around. I would not age when time was frozen, and I could stop it and start it to my liking.
I'd also have to be able to manipulate objects in my surroundings, like drive a frozen car.

2. Telepathy. Just run-of-the-mill, plain old, read whoevers thoughts telepathy. For fun, let's throw telekinesis in there too.

3. Good old fashioned flight, without the help of machines.

Wish One:
The right to have whatever film/video camera I desire with unlimimited stock, on call, at my disposal, twenty-four hours a day.

Wish Two:
Self-teleportation. To be able to travel and see in a form of a sightless gas, and to be able to "reappear" wherever I wish, in whatever clothes I wish.

An adapted nod to Lord Slaytan

Wish Three:
The power to experience the past. Time travel, I guess, but not. Just to witness the past, not to take part in it, to watch from afar. Or alternatively, to be a minor character in the past, if that makes sense, always have the power to return to my place in the present when I wish or when I died or was killed. For example, I would; observe the final moments of Hitler's life, but I would take part in the Normandy invasion, just as a nameless solider. I would observe Walt Disney on the train trip upon which he created Mickey Mouse but I would take part in the filming of Apocalypse Now. Just as a gopher, running around, doing errands. Does this sound sadistic, or wrong? In a way, it's a form of reincarnation, but I have a choice of when and where. When I return, it's me, taking on my real life from exactly where I left off. Make sense?

#1-
magic powers to shapeshift.......i'd become the tree in the meadow, or the hawk soaring by......i could melt into a creek or be raindrops falling.......in anyplace, at anytime.
i could be an icecap in the Himalayas for about 1/20th of a second, or a piece of driftwood in the ocean.........a chute skier dropping from a helicopter ......or the helicopter pilot for that matter.

#2-
health and vitality until the end of my days........and the power to keep my friends and family from dying from horrible disease or from any random meaningless crap like a stray bullet, a dumbass drunk driver or a falling frozen chunk of plane waste matter.
full, healthy lives with natural die in your sleep demise.

#3-
to be the fountain of youth in Firegod's wish.
(no just kidding. )

to be the best momma to my girl.
i'm talkin' BEST! - in the history of momma's.

A novel adaptation.
to be the best momma to my girl.
i'm talkin' BEST! - in the history of momma's.
It's good that it evens out like that, because I wish to be a BAAAAAAAAD MUTHA'

Originally posted by firegod
I want to struggle with wisdom and humility on my own, rather than have full wisdom and humility given to me. It's part of the fun of living.
I suppose that could be said for some...though for me, the mind-reading thing would suck far more fun out of life. I wouldn't trust myself (or anyone else, I don't think) with that kind of power. My wishes are, as you can tell, are far from fantastical. They're just enhancements of otherwise normal traits, in a way...so in that sense, I don't think they'd suck so much fun out of life...

...unless the wisdom was completely out of this world, in which case I'd probably become incredibly bored with things. That'd be bad.

Chris, you have mind-reading-post-reading-deleted-thread-reading-personal-message reading power already. And now you're telling us not to trust you?

Abuse of power!
Abuse of power!
Someone please listen to me this time!

A novel adaptation.
Because we all remeber what happened last time, don't we Matt?
Don't we?

I suggest you quiet up, before we clone your parents so we can make you eat them again.

A novel adaptation.

oh, and of course:

The fact that you wrote youse is pathetic.
And we're making ourselves laugh, we're not trying to play court jester to you your majesty. You want to get laughs tailored to suit your needs; go to a tailor. It's Chinatown.

Coffee makes everything, including insults funny, youse is an Australian word which im sure our American friends are familar with. Naturally you would disagree

A novel adaptation.
As an american, I'd like to state that we have absolutely no idea what youse means, and we're offended at your presumption.