2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Here we go again! The 5th annual film challenge is here so start planning your viewings accordingly. I wanted to give this a bit of a shake-up so new categories have been added and a few classics have been put on the bench this year. I am always available for any clarifications and do let me know if you see any mistakes. I have given the more obscure categories a quick search to make sure they are somewhat widely available, but if you still have trouble tracking down a film, let me know.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2022, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
Have fun watching films this year!

Ideas for Categories:

Per your request, I will add here some examples/ideas for certain categories.

Victorian novels  

Romanticism novels  

Modernist novels  

Postmodernist novels  

Black and White films post 2000  

Also answers to Jabba
Laying this down for my own updates.

Main Challenge: Completed  

Nightmare Mode: Completed  

Leftovers  

Revisited  

The trick is not minding
So for H category in normal mode:

1. Silk Road (China, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Malaysia, Mongolia, South Korea, Turkey)

If I choose the above, it’s just five from that group, and not five each, correct? Pretty sure I read this right.

So for H category in normal mode:

1. Silk Road (China, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Malaysia, Mongolia, South Korea, Turkey)

If I choose the above, it’s just five from that group, and not five each, correct? Pretty sure I read this right.
That was my interpretation. Otherwise you're talking 50 films for a single category!

The trick is not minding
That was my interpretation. Otherwise you're talking 50 films for a single category!
Right, that’s what I thought has well.

So for my next question:

One film, two films, red fil...it was the worst of times!
watch 10 films released in consecutive years of the same decade **

If I’m reading this correctly, it’s one film per each individual year in the decade, right?

Right, that’s what I thought has well.

So for my next question:

One film, two films, red fil...it was the worst of times!
watch 10 films released in consecutive years of the same decade **

If I’m reading this correctly, it’s one film per each individual year in the decade, right?
That was also my interpretation, ie a 2000 film, a 2001 film, and so on.

Also answers to Jabba
@Wyldesyde19 both your assumptions are correct. Glad you guys seem to like the new additions.

Edit; For the record, the main challenge always adds up to 52 films, to help you avoid misapprehensions. It is meant to be this way so anyone who casually watches films can join by just watching a very doable one movie per week on average.

The trick is not minding
@Wyldesyde19 both your assumptions are correct. Glad you guys seem to like the new additions.

Edit; For the record, the main challenge always adds up to 52 films, to help you avoid misapprehensions. It is meant to be this way so anyone who casually watches films can join by just watching a very doable one movie per week on average.
Yeah man, it’s very well thought out and covers a lot of territories. You’ve outdone yourself and I’ve already started pick out movies for the categories.

Also answers to Jabba
I picked the new categories today so now you are just encouraging my procrastination tendencies.

I intend to post some useful links and info for some of the more obscure categories. If any of you feel like doing the same, all the better.

The trick is not minding
I picked the new categories today so now you are just encouraging my procrastination tendencies.

I intend to post some useful links and info for some of the more obscure categories. If any of you feel like doing the same, all the better.
Yeah, I’ll be looking for some help on a few of these.
I’ve been searching for a lot of these and looking at what’s available as well, so I can help with a lot, when needed.

I have Miike as my director, Harold Lloyd as my actor since I went out and bought a box set of his, Giallo as my genre, Mexico as my country, and 1920’s as my decade. Those are all provided for me so I’m ok there. Looking forward to it.

Otherwise you're talking 50 films for a single category!
So you'd finish in March instead of January?

Nice work on the categories again, Mr/Ms Jabs. Some of these are well outside my normal comfort zone, hence the "challenge" part of the title I guess. Looking forward to it.

The trick is not minding
1 month update! 1/31

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

I'll try to participate this year. I watched almost nothing in 2021. I gotta pick up the slack.

Is sc-fi artificial life about robots or is genetic engineering good too?

Edit: We've met before is such a cool category. Cheers for that one.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Haha. I've never even heard of some of these genres.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

I'm in!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Probably just doing the Main Challenge this year.

Main Challenge