A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

*gnaws on arm*

Cannibal Apocalypse (Margheriti, 1980)

Cannibal Apocalypse was released during the Italian cannibal wave alongside such notorious shockers as Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox and Jungle Holocaust AKA Last Cannibal World, but it doesn't feel a whole lot like those movies. For one thing, instead of the jungle, it's set in the US, and a lot of its tension comes from how the urban environment affects the proceedings. The other key difference is that the cannibals, rather than some othered group as in those movies, are characters we directly identify with. It's also quite a bit less violent and mostly lacking in animal cruelty (aside from one unfortunate moment involving sewer rats and a flamethrower), although I must admit it still got to me. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age (I only turned thirty this year but have more grey hairs than I'd like), but there's something about the disarming way this movie slides into its gore that gives it an added impact.

The movie opens during the Vietnam War, where a squad led by John Saxon rescues a pair of POWs (Giovanni Lombardo Radice, Tony King) who have succumbed to cannibalism. (One detail that might stand out to sticklers for historical accuracy is that Sazon uses a Thompson submachine gun. While this was likely used in the movie because it would have been a readily available prop from World War II macaroni combat productions, I learn that this weapon was in fact used by the South Vietnamese army, so I concede it wouldn't be impossible that Saxon's character would be using the weapon.) Upon their return to America, Radice and King are committed to a mental institution for several years, but upon their release, they're quickly back to their old habits. Even worse, Saxon starts to feel the urge as well, and others may or may not be getting in on the act as well.

This is a portmanteau movie, where the different genre elements come together to complement each other in interesting ways. The Vietnam context gives it metaphoric value with respect to the characters' PTSD, the cannibalism adds the blood and guts, the zombie angle (which is cannibal-adjacent, if we must quibble) give the movie a welcome sense of escalation, and the urban thriller elements package all of this together with a certain immediacy. I am no expert in Antonio Margheriti's career, but despite being namechecked in Inglourious Basterds, it seems he doesn't command the same following (at least in my internet circle) as an Argento, Fulci, D'Amato or even a Mattei. But comparing this to my viewing earlier this year of Castle of Blood, I'd wager there's a certain flexibility in his directing style. His work here is far from the thick Gothic atmosphere of the earlier movie, but is still quite effecting in generating tension, particularly in the claustrophic finale in the sewers, where the militaristic presence of the police (including a cop with a flamethrower) mirrors the warfare of the opening scene. The performances also give this all a nice human element, with Radice playing another great nervy, unstable character and the ever-reliable Saxon turning playing a character who seems to form a sturdy centre for the movie...until he doesn't. Saxon claims that he was lured by a translated script that conveniently left out the violent content and was dismayed when he learned that it was a cannibal movie and not the strict Vietnam metaphor he assumed it was. If I can respond to Saxon, I think it still kind of works in that respect, and however unhappy Saxon was with the movie, his work onscreen doesn't betray it. If there's a movie where he phoned it in, I haven't seen it.

I love Christmas Evil. I’m a sucker for the style of horror that are derived from Taxi Driver-esque psychological examinations (Martin, Maniac, Fade to Black) and this is among the best. The direction is low-key stylish, occasionally pulling from horror/thriller royalty like M and Frankenstein, and it makes this such an effective underdog of the film.

Plus, it has an all timer ending. Glad you enjoyed it! I’m planning to show it and Deadly Games on Thursday.
I forget, have you seen Don't Go in the House? That's another I'd put in that grimy character study category. Rather unpleasant, well worth a watch. I believe Crumbsroom is a big fan.

I forget, have you seen Don't Go in the House? That's another I'd put in that grimy character study category. Rather unpleasant, well worth a watch. I believe Crumbsroom is a big fan.
I have not. I’ve almost watched it a few times but never followed through. It have a boutique bluray? That’s usually a pretty good way to force me to watch something.

I have not. I’ve almost watched it a few times but never followed through. It have a boutique bluray? That’s usually a pretty good way to force me to watch something.
I believe it's getting releases from both Severin and Arrow (region B) next year.

I believe it's getting releases from both Severin and Arrow (region B) next year.
Then I will almost certainly be seeing it by next Halloween Horrorthon.

Have you seen Cannibal Man? I’d toss it in the subgenre as well. Far more artistic than its title would suggest (and far less cannibalism as well. He is indeed a man though.)

Then I will almost certainly be seeing it by next Halloween Horrorthon.

Have you seen Cannibal Man? I’d toss it in the subgenre as well. Far more artistic than its title would suggest (and far less cannibalism as well. He is indeed a man though.)
Yup. Watched it and Maniac around the same time, IIRC. Big fan, although I need to pick up the Severin Blu-ray as I only watched the English dub from the old Blue Underground DVD. And yes, much less cannibalistic than the title promises.

Yup. Watched it and Maniac around the same time, IIRC. Big fan, although I need to pick up the Severin Blu-ray as I only watched the English dub from the old Blue Underground DVD. And yes, much less cannibalistic than the title promises.
Groovy. CM reminded me of being somewhere between Maniac and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (which of course, influenced American Psycho, so it’s link to this genre is fairly strong even if it doesn’t quite fit). I was expecting pure schlock so I was quite taken aback.

Come to think of it, these films are more or less the masculine counterpart to the “psychotic women” subgenre ala Repulsion, Black Swan, Eyes of My Mother. Guess I’m just a sucker for being placed in the subjective POV of the insane. I blame Poe.

Poe is the name of my neighbor’s dog who tells me to do things.

Groovy. CM reminded me of being somewhere between Maniac and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (which of course, influenced American Psycho, so it’s link to this genre is fairly strong even if it doesn’t quite fit). I was expecting pure schlock so I was quite taken aback.

Come to think of it, these films are more or less the masculine counterpart to the “psychotic women” subgenre ala Repulsion, Black Swan, Eyes of My Mother. Guess I’m just a sucker for being placed in the subjective POV of the insane. I blame Poe.

Poe is the name of my neighbor’s dog who tells me to do things.
I assume most of those things involve petting it.

Victim of The Night
You have to be careful to get the uncut version. It makes a huge difference.

Victim of The Night
It's worthwhile. Given its budgetary constraints and all.

The Raven is not as good as The Black Cat, but there is some pretty nice imagery, and seeing Bela and Boris do their thing is always a good time.

The Raven is not as good as The Black Cat, but there is some pretty nice imagery, and seeing Bela and Boris do their thing is always a good time.
Worth it just to hear Lugosi recite lines from the poem.

Worth it just to hear Lugosi recite lines from the poem.
On one hand, that was a pretty awkward way to incorporate the Poe theme. On the other hand, it's classic Bela, who am I to complain?

I just rewatched Black Mountain Side from 2014, and it's better than I remembered. I was turned off quite a bit with the ending, but I liked it a lot better this time. From a B- to an A for me.

Are there a lot of good wintery horror movies around? I tried to find more, but generally stumble on old stuff that I can't actually obtain.

Are there a lot of good wintery horror movies around? I tried to find more, but generally stumble on old stuff that I can't actually obtain.

Winter Beast!

EDIT: Oh, you said good........nevermind.

Winter Beast!

EDIT: Oh, you said good........nevermind.

Lol

Had that come in the mail the other day.

Ghostkeeper is pretty decent and should be rather easily available. The Children is also really good. And Devil Times Five is wintry, but (IMO) only mediocre.

I just rewatched Black Mountain Side from 2014, and it's better than I remembered. I was turned off quite a bit with the ending, but I liked it a lot better this time. From a B- to an A for me.

The Thing!