The 9th Mofo Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Ditto what Thursday Next said...I try to give my personal reasons for not liking a film. I feel that's an important and fair thing to do. And I try to find something positive about the films. I know one thing, often I don't vote my own movie number #1. I don't care if I win, I just want to nominate a film that at least has some elements that I believe in and what to share with the rest of the group.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
No Man's Land~ This wasn't what I was expecting in a very good way. Normally I am not so fond of war movies, mostly because I find the huge cast and amount of action confusing. I never can remember who is who and lose track of what is happening. For the most part of this movie there are only three characters of importance and only two that have a whole lot of lines. That made the story far more focused and concise than I am used to in war movies.

To make matters better, it's also well-written, well-acted, and has an important story to tell.

I think it starts to lose it's moment a bit when the UN and the reporter come into play. It's still good, but it was better when the focus was on the two men from the differing factions.

I don't know if I would call it a complaint because I thought the ending was really good, but I had to go back and watch it again to make sure I understood what had happened. It could have been a brain fart from me.\

Nice choice of a nomination. I really thought it was well deserved.

Sorry for my bad English :p
Beasts Of The Southerns Wild

it was a rewatch, and it didn't do a lot to me, i have the same reaction that i had one i first saw it. it's not a bad movie, and not a very good one either, its nice it had some good moments and some good acting, but its just one of those movies that you watch and forget..

Dead Man Walking

its also a rewatch, i didnt remember much from the first watch, but i think i liked it more this time.
its well written, it makes you think about a lot of important stuff like death, crimes, revenge, forgiveness, religion, regret, and life in general.
the acting was great from the both leading actors and its no surprise from susan sarandon and sean penn, the directing was good but nothing special, i think the movie had some cliche scenes that decreased the quality but it didnt ruin the movie.

and finally i like to share my favorite conversation from the film :

Sister Helen : Why were you in the woods?

Matthew Poncelet : l told you, l was stoned!

Sister Helen : Don't blame the drugs.

You were harassing couples

for months before this happened.

What was it?

Matthew Poncelet :What do you mean?

Sister Helen : Did you look up to Vitello,

think he was cool?
Did you want to impress him?

Matthew Poncelet :l don't know.

Sister Helen : You could have walked away.

Matthew Poncelet : He went psycho on me.

Sister Helen : Don't blame him!

You blame him, the government,

drugs, blacks, the Percys.

You blame the kids for being there.

What about Matthew Poncelet?

Where's he in this story? What,

is he just an innocent? A victim?

Matthew Poncelet :l ain't no victim.

Sorry for my bad English :p
i'm done with this Hof, i sent my list to raul.
it was so hard to rank this movies but it had to be done..

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Magnificent Ambersons

It was an average film for me. I really liked the settings and I can certainly tell that Welles is an extremely talented director. But the films story did feel really choppy to me. I don't know much about the story of how the production studio chopped part of Welles' movie but it definitely had a negative impact on the film that I watched. It certainly has potential and I also thought that the acting was good. It's choppiness is what doesn't get it to the next tier for me. It's a fairly beautiful striking film.

And like that, I am done. I have SIX lists total including mine, and I know that Cricket is done. Hope to see more of you get your lists in.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Time Lapse (2014)

I wanted to enjoy this, but in the end I didn't like it as much as I hoped. I don't mind how improbable the premise is - sci-fi time travel is never going to be totally realistic. I think what the film was aiming for was more an examination of how the characters would behave in that situation, sort of like a sci-fi Shallow Grave. Unfortunately I never found that completely convincing. I know that is was low budget and I think they did their best with the limited location, although it's not visually interesting and the acting isn't great, nor is the dialogue.

This was the last film for me to watch and I will turn in my list shortly.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Waiting on lists from Gatsby, Pussy Galore, Godoggo, Tatt, Neiba and Moviemeditation. I've a feeling we may have lost Meds, but hopefully not.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
La Regle du Jeu (Jean Renoir,1939)

I'll be honest here: when I saw the nominations for this HoF I wasn't very hopeful. There were some movies I knew I'd probably like but many seemed way off my usual tastes. This one was one of those. I am pleased to say I was never so wrong - The whole HoF is filled with masterpieces and this one is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!
I didn't know it was possible to keep a frenetic pace like this, with such a terrific script and soundtrack! The comedy is refined with a brilliant use of irony and social critique! I loved the acting,especially from Dalio, the way he uses his body is something extraordinary!
This one goes to my Top 100 directly!

-