Overrated films

Tools    

Chicago... I don't get why basically everyone was nominated for acting and winning best picture. Sure that year there were a significant lack in masterpieces but that doesn't give an excuse for all that ballooned critiques.
Though I respect your opinion, I respectfully disagree...I thought Chicago was brilliant...one of the strongest transitions of a Broadway musical from stage to screen that I have ever seen. Rob Marshall's inspired direction and the charismatic performances of Zelwegger, Gere, Reilly, and especially Catherine Zeta-Jones all worked for me. It was the first musical to win Best Picture since 1968 and I think it was worth the wait.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Any of Nolan's Batman Trilogy! Ya, they're entertaining but I don't think they get even close to the masterpiece label...

The Shawshank Redemption
intouchables
blade runner

Ooh, so many I could pick but I guess I'll have to narrow it down to two.

- Wreck-It-Ralph, a decent movie until Vanellope appears, that's where the film falls apart for me.

- 12 Years a slave, the characters were boring and the pacing was dreadful. It was a waste of 2 hours+ of my life.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, and as I point out every so often, saying something is "overrated" isn't even a statement about the film--it's a statement about how other people are reacting to the film. And it multiplies the subjectivity: what we think of a film is already somewhat subjective, but now, on top of that, we're adding people's vague impressions of how much something is "rated," which is usually based on a handful of half-remembered anecdotes.

I don't think discussions about films being overrated ever end up being more than some people venting, and other people being mad at those people.
I was about to post something along these lines, but I will just re-post what the Jedi master said, instead...

It's either that or ban the people talking **** about Chinatown and Blade Runner.

I kid...I kid...

NEW MOVIE TO ADD!

Animal House

Despite several jokes that did made me laugh, there are also many jokes I thought were stupid (in a bad way) and I didn't like either the Omegas or Deltas.
The humor is secondary; Animal House is all about attitude.

The Matrix , The Graduate and Seven Samurai

10 overrated movies I have watched more recently:

1. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
  2. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
  3. Kingsman The Secret Service (2014)
  4. Birdman (2014)
  5. Ex Machina (2015)
  6. Superbad (2007)
  7. Blow (2001)
  8. A History of Violence (2005)
  9. Law Abiding Citizen (2009)
  10. American Hustle (2013)

Titanic - I fall asleep watching this movie....

Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy - Only one that I semi like is The Dark Knight and that is exclusively for Ledger's Joker.

American Hustle - Can't see how this thing got any Oscar nominations, only watchable parts were(You guessed it) Jennifer Lawrence's character Rosalyn but her character was made really unlikable and Louie CK, who isn't a good actor(Is one of my favorite comedians though) but his scenes were actually entertaining. When those are the best parts, you know you got a piece of crap.

American Sniper - Another movie movie with Bradley Cooper. IDK what it is besides The Hangover & SLP I haven't liked BC in anything else. Another overrated movie getting Oscar buzz because its an Eastwood film. Nightcrawler and JG got snubbed hard by this...

Titanic - I fall asleep watching this movie....

Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy - Only one that I semi like is The Dark Knight and that is exclusively for Ledger's Joker.

American Hustle - Can't see how this thing got any Oscar nominations, only watchable parts were(You guessed it) Jennifer Lawrence's character Rosalyn but her character was made really unlikable and Louie CK, who isn't a good actor(Is one of my favorite comedians though) but his scenes were actually entertaining. When those are the best parts, you know you got a piece of crap.

American Sniper - Another movie movie with Bradley Cooper. IDK what it is besides The Hangover & SLP I haven't liked BC in anything else. Another overrated movie getting Oscar buzz because its an Eastwood film. Nightcrawler and JG got snubbed hard by this...
I rep for Titanic because The Dark Knight Trilogy is truly awesome

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Alien
Titanic

There are some unfair mentions here ,I guess that could also be said with me mentioning Alien. I would like to tackle some of these post later.

1- Scarface (1983) - it's overlong and truly boring
2- The Sixth Sense (1999) - it's predictable and a little bit silly
3- Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014) - I don't find it enjoyable at all... it's was an ok film the only good things was random songs listen by Starlord..
4- The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (2001,2002,2003) - overlong, hobbit walking all film long and boring..
5- Return Of The Jedi (1983) - First two of the original trilogy were sci-fi masterpiece but this one rated as 8.4 IMDb is highly overrated because it was the weak link of the trilogy...

3- Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014) - I don't find it enjoyable at all... it's was an ok film the only good things was random songs listen by Starlord..
Aside from #4 & 5 I agree with the rest of these. Especially Scarface dear god....

I actually didn't mind Guardians but the only reason I liked it was because of Pratt and his character Starlord. Without him It would be completely forgettable in my mind. Also the only other part I liked was Michael Rooker as Yondu, pretty much a Blue Merle Dixon and I loved it.

I have to return some videotapes.
5- Return Of The Jedi (1983) - First two of the original trilogy were sci-fi masterpiece but this one rated as 8.4 IMDb is highly overrated because it was the weak link of the trilogy...
no

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I don't think people talk about it so much and so good to call it overrated.
Maybe you are one who saw it all coming, dose not make it overrated. Even if it was predictable, same could go for a lot of movies in your favorite list, you see where I'm going with this?
I also think its overrated
4- The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (2001,2002,2003) - overlong, hobbit walking all film long and boring..
Now you are just pulling them out of your a*s. You would like Clerks, they made fun of that also, but problem is, they are joking. Like calling Jaw's a lot of "looking at sea and doing nothing" would it be fair?
Ok, now I know you are just joking, move on.

Everyone seems to like Airplane (1980) but honestly I thought it really wasn't that funny. Definitely one of the most overrated comedies.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
It was so over the top. To be honest I have only watched half of it. I couldn't bare it.
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
Too pretentious, I thought. The style was not my cup of tea.
Kingsman The Secret Service (2014)
Up until the protagonist contacted Kingsman I was pumped for the movie. After that it was a horrific movie. Over the top violence and not funny at all among other things.
Birdman (2014)
I just didn't feel for it, I suppose. And often wondered what the heck was going on.
Ex Machina (2015)
I was sort of into the movie and the main focus of it- the relationship between Caleb and Ex Machina. And I was willing to overlook less central aspects of the movie. One of them being oxymoronic behavior of the scientist. But the ending made all flaws unforgivable. Why didn't the scientist warn Caleb?; Why did he act like he had something to hide?; How come he's so clever, yet he gets blind drunk every night and behaves and looks more like an MMA fighter than a scientist? And the ending has now become a cliché rather than a twist. So Ex Machina, with all it's wisdom came to such conclusions? And it seemed to me all these machines could have escaped even without Calebs help. The one thing that I kind of liked in the move, was stomped on in the end in a very unnecessarily cruel manner.
Superbad (2007)
Seriously? I like sleazy comedies more than the next guy, but "Superbad" was rather crigey than funny most of the time.
What did I get from "Blow"? Waste of time! There was no story, just series of unrelated scenes. And the ending was one of the most ridiculous ever! He supposedly became insane imagining his daughter. What!? I barely knew she was in the movie, frustrated lol.
A History of Violence (2005)
Up until the bar incident the movie was rather good. After the incident, it became barely mediocre. And the violence at the end was neither convincing nor spectacular nor fitting the movie. What was supposed to be the climax, actually became B rate TV show scene.
Law Abiding Citizen (2009)
Not only the citizen wasn't law abiding, he was excessively cruel, unfathomably all powerful and omnipresent and I sympathized less and less for his cause as the movie progressed.
American Hustle (2013)
For one, the protagonists lacked redeeming qualities. As far as I'm concerned they were just slimy rascals. Also I was confused by the story.

You got "too pretentious" out of The Grand Budapest?
Wut
And it is typical Wes Anderson style, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't

And it is typical Wes Anderson style, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't
I liked "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Other movies of his don't interest me.