Getting into the horror genre...

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Cube is that which every single indie horror/sci-fi movie aspires.
I love Cube. I love Vincenzo Natali.

I don't actually wear pants.
Hey wut? I love the movie. I just didnt like my initial viewing for obvious reasons as explained. I took my 'anger' out on it because some dickheads were assaulting me? Holy crap.
Well okay then. I didn't realize you took to the movie after such a disastrous viewing. I've had bad viewings, too, and then turned and watched the film in question gain, and dug it. It happens. Watching the film without feeling uneasy or violated, or what have you, is never preferred, and hurts the experience. Sucks it happened to you.

@MonnoM

I haven't had much time lately but I saw:

Cube (1998) This one was interesting... It was fun to see the characters develop the way they did. Amazing what they have done with such a small budget and a small cast. When I was done watching I felt pleasantly surprised but also a little sick to the stomach by the dystopian vibe and claustrophobic environment.

Triangle (2003) I can see why many would like it but for me it was a little too "extreme"... I got lost in the plot and had to go online to get some things straight :P But I think the cast performed great

Furthermore I have started on Hannibal (the series) which so far, I like !
Both great choices. Triangle is one of those movies that can have several interpretations and that's one of its many charms. It was a while ago, but I remember watching it with someone and coming up with all these theories. The more we thought about it the more theories kept popping up, which in turn made the film that much more amazing.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on other films.

movies can be okay...
I would personally suggest Noroi: The Curse, it's actually my favourite horror movie.
Martyrs comes to mind as well, it doesn't have any jumpscares either.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then its a good film; if its not a dialogue, its a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I like a good old fashioned horror film. Supernatural elements with mystery thrown in. No blood and gore. Filmed in the daylite not nite or in semi darkness. My top three are the Innocents (1960) ,The Changeling (1980) and the Brit made Haunted (1995)

Added a few more to the 'watched' list all of which were recommended by you guys ;-)

Mulholland Drive (2001)
Coherence (2013)
Cape Fear (1992)
Frozen (2010)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Loved them all except Coherence and Frozen. Frozen was alright. Coherence was a downer. Anyway, I think I have come to the conclusion that i prefer a suspenseful thriller rather than a straight up horror. Jumpy movies with supernatural themes just don't really appeal to me, which is pretty much what a 'real' horror is. If these two elements are missing, one could argue it is 'just' a thriller. (which is fine with me )

After all only 10 Cloverfield Lane is categorized as a horror (on imdb) ... whereas all of them are thrillers.

Would you categorize the above-mentioned as horrors? Out of curiosity in you guys' opinions which elements have to be present in order to classify a movie as a horror.

I don't remember md but for me not horror.
I don't know coherence.
Cape fear is a thriller for me.
Frozen I would call survival horror sub genre. I really liked it but I generally like survival genre. Very annoying characters though.
10cl u would call psychological thriller.

Sorry for typos

Oh and for me horror is the technique more than the theme generally speaking. Kokoda is war genre but utilises horror techniques so was labeled horror. Some people say horror needs supernatural elements. I disagree. Ghosts and stuff just don't scare me.

Oh and for me horror is the technique more than the theme generally speaking. Kokoda is war genre but utilises horror techniques so was labeled horror. Some people say horror needs supernatural elements. I disagree. Ghosts and stuff just don't scare me.
I second your disagreement. There's nothing supernatural in, say, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", but don't tell me that's not a horror movie!

I second your disagreement. There's nothing supernatural in, say, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", but don't tell me that's not a horror movie!
I know, right. Each to their own, and so good it has so many sub genres. Something for everyone.

Supernatural should probably have its own genre. Not to be confused with horror. Slashers, blood & gore are horror without having any supernatural or occult elements. I disagree that ghosties are nor scary. I defy anyone to tell me they were not scared by The Innocents or The Haunting, The Haunted even the Changeling. I am a senior and I still get chills down my spine watching some of these classic ghosties.