video game movies

Tools    

Which is the best video game based movie, and which is the worst?

My personal favorite is:
1st-Final Fantasy
2nd-Tomb Raider

The worst is:
1st-Mario bros.
2nd-Street Fighter

How about comic books?

Best=Batman 1 & 2
Worst=All the other batman movies

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Personally I would post this in the General Movie Discussion area.

Best Video Game Movies
1. Tomb Raider
2. Final Fantasy

Worst Video Game Movies
1. Double Dragon
2. Super Mario Brothers
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

BEST VIDEO GAME MOVIE: None

BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE: Conan the Barbarian (1982). John Milius captured the character and style of the pulp novels, plus the graphic appeal of Frank Frazetta and the comic books. The movie sequel was complete crud and a waste of time and resources.

MONGOL CHIEFTAIN (Akio Mitamura): Conan, what is best in life!?!

CONAN (Schwarzenegger): To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thread moved. IMO, the best video game movie is probably "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider." None have been really great, though. I did dig "Mortal Kombat" when it first came out...but I wasn't really into movies a whole lot then. The fighting was nice, however...very nice movie, visually. Not sure on comic books...for now, I'll say "X-Men," because it was far, far better than I'd expected it to be.

tomb raider and final fantasy were the two worst movies of the summer!!!! street fighter sucked, double dragon sucked, and mario was cool at the time, but it sucks now. THe only movie that was halfway good was mortal kombat- i hope they stop making video game movies, yes stop resident evil, donteven let it be released please!!!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I would say that a game/movie like Resident Evil would be somewhat of a possible lock on being a successful game into movie. It deals with dead people(very popular topic), and who knows. If it's given a good release date say Halloween time, it might do well.

Mortal Kombat wasn't bad...the sequel...TERRIBLE...don't make a sequel if you have to replace everyone except one character that was in the first one.

Final Fantasy, again, wasn't terrible. It did lack in areas where it need some support, but for the most part, stuck with what made it a hit, and did make a little bit of money.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, it was alright. Jolie took on the Croft character very well. The look, the walk, the talk...everything. I would say that it would have to be the most successful game/movie that has hit the scene.

Mario Brothers, didn't have to see it, but you don't really have to see it to know it sucks.

Double Dragon, seen it, wish I could get the time back I lost on that movie.

Street Fighter, terrible, but I respect it for being Raul Julia's last picture.

Best : None yet. Adapting video games to movies is hard on account of the inherent loss of interactivity. And, Hollywood usually butchers any semblence of good plot / pacing / character development / writing that the game had.

Worst: Wing Commander : The Movie. Blech.

You know what game I'd like to see made into a movie? Grim Fandango. Probably nobody's ever heard of it, but it was made by LucasArts and was extremely creative. Artistically and stylistically, it was the Mexican Day of the Dead festival mixed with 20's Film Noir. Probably one of the most original and entertaining games I've ever played.......and if you gave it to PIXAR, I'm positive they'd do it justice. It's just their type of story.

Oh yes!
Grim Fandango.
It's a fantastic game. I've only ever played the demo, got up onto the roof with the pigeons, didn't know what to do, but yeah. Even in the demo you're taken to a whole new world. Yes, yes, yes!

I think for a game to be made into a film, it has to be one where you BASICALLY have to take the one path, it can't REALLY be a game with replay value, because otherwise there are too many ways for the movie to be done -- for example, the Zelda series would suck as films for two reasons -- one they're so huge, and secondly there are so many ways to do it.

A game on the one path, with lots of problem solving rather than action would work really well -- another that cames to mind are those "play-the-movie" games. The Pandora Directive, Under A Killing Moon.

Yeah.
Grim Fandango!

I've played a bit of "Grim Fandango," and loved it. Very likable, interesting characters...and lots of fun, too. Gotta love the clown with the balloon animals. And who can possibly resist "Manny"?

Anway, I still wonder if we'll ever see some kind of Myst/Riven movie. I really don't know what it would be about, but the whole thing about linking books and ages could, POTENTIALLY, translate into an amazing fantasy story. I'd love to see them try, at least, to turn it into an amazing CGI-based film. It'd sure be nice to look at.

Heh, heh. That clown with the balloon animals really cracked me up.

See, that's why I think Grim Fandango would make a good movie....because there's only one way through it-- e.g. only way to solve all the puzzles. It's very linear. In the process, of course, they'd have to take out a lot of these same puzzles that gave the game "content" and focus more on developing the story.....but I still think it'd be quite cool. Glad to see there are some kindred spirits about

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Riven / Myst movie. I think the Miller brothers wrote a few novels' worth of back-fiction to support the games (which always seemed somewhat obscure on the narrative IMHO), so I think the material is there.

Hey, at the very least they could just show a slideshow of the game! Heh. /sarcasm

B&W
Best Comic Book Movie: Batman Returns or X-Men

Best Video Game Movie: X-Men or Mortal Kombat

Peace,

I would love to see a Soul Blade movie. Michael Douglas as Cervantes would be interesting. Also, Vin Diesel as Voldo, purely to annoy my Voldo hating friend.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
oh my god, oh my god, I loved Grim Fandango!!! How can you guys have only played a BIT?! i harassed LucasArts about it. They said there were no plans to make sequals or anything else like it. but yes, Pixar would kick@ss with that one! woohoo!

hmmm. whut else .... RPG games would basically appeal to me, in the nature of anything fantastical. like, LOTR, for example. Myst/Riven, yes, but it can be so overdramatic and well a lot of it was the puzzles. they'd have to develop a lot of dialogue and fill in all the space that's reserved for players banging their heads on the keyboards. also there are few speaking characters period, let alone how rarely they speak.

and there ya go.

I stopped playing because I got stuck. A lot. I think I had someone give me some hints to get as far as I did, anyway. I didn't make it far at all, though.