Most underated movie, actor, actress..

Tools    

boy holden, how do you fit so much information in your head? what a turn-on....... and i respect you too.

John C.Reilly I one of my favorite actors and I think he is very underrated by hollywood even his early performance in Causulties of War was extrodinary he fits so perfectly in the role he's totally believable in it also his little role in a not so great movie called Nightwatch was really cool.

My favorite performance is when he plays the Cop in Magnolia every time it went away from his part of the story I wanted it to go back as soon as possible.

Sydney (Hard Eight) he was super funny and also had a couple of very powerful scenes with Phillip Baker Hall espcially the scene on the phone near the end of the Film

he was also extremly good in Boggie Night every scene had my either Laugh or put a big grin on my face the scene were he first meets Eddie Adams AKA Dirk Diggler and there matching themself to each other on how much they lift and all that other stuff was brillant.

Some more small role that he was just great are Dolores Claiborne, The River Wild and We're No Angles

Delroy Lindo
The Heist,Get Shorty,Clockers,The Hardway

I think this guys also very underrated even when the movie that he's in isn't the greatest his performances seem to always be the high point to the movie his performances really stick out and surprise me. his acting feels so real some times he doesn't have to say anything just a glace or the certain way he reacts to something on screen his Perfomances are beautiful another one of my Favorite actor that I think is very underrated.

Joe Mantengna I love this guy OK I must admit that I didn't think he was that good of an actor when I saw him on some A&E comercials for A&E TV Movie but boy was I fricken wrong he's Super in my Book.

Some of his great performances are David Mamet's House of Games, David Mamet's Homicide, Daivid Mamet's Things Change, Woody Allen's Alice and Searching for Bobby Fisher also some smaller role that I also love him in are The Money Pit and Compromising Positions.
________
How to roll a blunt

Neve Campbell and Lacey Chabert? You're pushing all my buttons, man. Both very genuinely beautiful women, my friend. I don't think Lacey's voice is quite as whiny as it 'twas in "Lost in Space," either. Oh, and I love Adam Sandler. Sorry. "Happy Gilmore" had me laughing so hard it literally hurt.

No Commish, I adore Neve Campbell and think she's got talent, but I hates and have zero respect for J-Lo-He and especially Lacey Chabert. Get it straight, man.

And did you never watch "Party of Five". That is Lacey's voice, same as in Lost in Space. It may well change as she grows older. I hope it does for her sake, but I still have loads of other problems with her, the voice thing is just the most obviously grating. I think she's the perfect example of how awful child actors can be. She's on the other end of the spectrum from Haley Joel Osment in this generation.

And you can keep Adam Sandler. I understand I'm in the popular minority when it comes to Sandler, but I am extremely comfortable with that.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

J-Lo-He is eye candy. Treat her as nothing more. I think she has more talent than people give her credit for, but no, she's not an exceptional actress. Chabert, I think, is. I think Campbell definitely is. I don't think that is her voice at all. For one, she looks like a completely different person than she did in "Lost in Space." Still high-pitched, naturally, but bearable.

Other than the TV show, I can't say I've seen Lacey in anything post-Lost in Space, though I notice she's in the new parody flick Not Another Teen Movie. But trust me, the voice she has in Lost in Space (1998) is exactly the one she had on "Party of Five" (1994 - 2000) from the ages of twelve to eighteen. What have you seen her in that you think her voice is noticeably different?

And as I said in regards to J-Lo-He, I understand some fellas dig her as being easy on the eyes (though I'm not one of them), but I don't hear many of those who want to slobber on her cleavage claiming she's a very good actress. I wonder why that is?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Neve Campbell and Lacey Chabert? You're pushing all my buttons, man. Both very genuinely beautiful women, my friend. I don't think Lacey's voice is quite as whiny as it 'twas in "Lost in Space," either. Oh, and I love Adam Sandler. Sorry. "Happy Gilmore" had me laughing so hard it literally hurt.
Correct me if I'm wrong ( and I am never wrong) but I believe Holden was talking about the acting abilities of Campbell and Chabert, in which case, they don't have any to speak of. Campbell is the lesser of the two evils, but that doesn't mean she's any good. I used to watch Party of Five religeously...didn't have anything to do with the female cast members. Campbell was particularly horrible in Three to Tango. Her squinty-eyed facial expressions and rehersed/forced comic timing is painful. Chabert doesn't even deserve mentioning. Her voice is grating enough, let alone paired with bad acting skills. She's the voice of a cartoon character for Peter's sake! Probably not because she has a sexy voice like Kathleen Turner either. Anyhoo, T, you can think they're pretty all you want...but don't confuse looks with talent; or I'm going to make you say Freddie Prinze Jr. should have gotten an oscar for She's All That.

I thought Three To Tango was an unwatchably bad movie from beginning to end, no cast member excluded (what an terrible script and amateur direction!). The film that impressed me in regards to Cambpell's acting promise is called Panic (2000), where she plays a psychiatric patient who gets involved with an insecure hit man (William H. Macy) who is being pressured by his overbearing hit man father (Donald Sutherland). Nothing else thus far has required much acting from her on the big screen. I do think she's nice to look at, yes, but I also think she has potential to turn into an actress who does more than just wear tight clothes and run away from guys in masks trying to stab her.

I haven't seen any similar potential from J-Lo-He or Lacey Chabert.

Now With Moveable Parts
I guess I would say she's tolerable. I don't know. She doesn't have much range. She didn't OWN that role in Panic. I like to see if maybe I could swap actors for other actors in certian roles...and if I can't think of a different one , then they must have done a good job!
I could think of several women her age that could have easily replaced campbell and done a better job with it.

I don't think Campell's work in Panic was Oscar-worthy or anything, but it was a huge step up from the Scream flicks, and enough to make me say she has potential. That's all. She wasn't flat-out blown away by William H. Macy on screen, which I think says a lot. Somebody who couldn't act at all in that role would have been completely overwhelmed by Macy. I don't think she was.

I wouldn't ever claim Neve Campbell is at the same level as a contemporary like Reese Witherspoon or Parker Posey yet, but I feel she has the tools (and not just the looks) to possibly get there.

Can you name anything J-Lo-He or Lacey Chabert have done that is in the same class as Campbell's work in Panic? That's my point, and that's why I say of those three young "Party of Five" actresses, Neve is definitely the strongest, no contest.

Now With Moveable Parts
Fine, fine. Neve is the more usefull of the three. stongest is a heavy-handed word though. Do you really think she's strong in any sense of the word?

Yes, I think Campbell has the potential to be a good actress. How many times do I have to say it? You're free to disagree of course, but how many times do you want me to repeat myself?

And strongest isn't a heavy-handed word. Plus, you took it out of context. I said she was appreciably stronger than her "Party of Five" co-stars. Time will tell if she develops into a strong actress or not. I'll put more money on her than J-Lo-He, that's for sure.

Are my posts really hard to understand. I realize they have a tendency to be long(winded), but I hope my thoughts are fairly clear. Neve Campbell good, Jennifer Love Hewitt bad. That's what me thinkum.

Now With Moveable Parts
Well you don't have to be a snot about it! Sheesh. I just won't debate with you ever again if you don't like people making you explain yourself. All you said was that she delivered in Panic. You didn't say WHAT you liked about her acting, or WHY I should agree with you. Getting info from you is like pulling teeth!

Speaking of pulling teeth, I liked her in Wild Things too. I know you gals were turned-off by the over-the-top sexuality of the thing, but I thought as a neo-Noir comedy it was a watchable piece. I liked Campbell and especially Bill Murray in it a lot. For me Wild Things and the dud Drowning Mona are better showcases of her comic ablities than Three to Tango.

But Panic is definitely her best film work to date. Of the four major roles in the film, hers was the most sketchy, written the most like a type rather than a full character. But I thought she was able to bring it to life in a real way. It would have been easier to play up the psychiatric stuff, to make her an over-the-top weirdo. But I thought there was a resonance to her character, and I very much believed her romantic curiosity with Macy's. That aspect also could have been played more overtly, a faux Basic Instinct-type ridiculous and uncredible femme fatale. I thought she brought an emotional truth and a reality to that character, and the movie was better for it.

When a movie works (and I think Panic does) I don't find myself wondering if this role or that one might have been better or different with another actor. I'll do that if the movie is a stinker, but when it comes together I find myself identifying the particular actor with the character. COULD another actess have done just as well or better with that part? Sure, I suppose you can speculate about that for just about any role. But I think Panic works as is, and I think Neve Campbell showed a kind of subtlty and emotional range in a supporting but crucial role that she can build upon in other good movies in the future.

Now, if she goes back to material like Scream 3 and Three to Tango, it won't much matter. But one of her next projects is writer/director Alan Rudolph's ensemble Investigating Sex. Rudolph (Choose Me, Welcome to L.A., Afterglow) is good at getting good performances from actors. Even when his movies don't always hold together narratively, the acting is usually excellent. I'll be curious to see if Campbell continues to grow into a stronger actress, or if Panic was a one-time outing of higher quality.

Time will tell.

How can you not love "Three to Tango"? It was ridiculously funny. I crack up everytime I see it. Not the most clever thing in the world...but then again, it doesn't have to be. I don't know if I'll ever get sick of that movie. Couple TTT with "The Whole Nine Yards," and you've got yourself proof that Matthew Perry is one funny bastard.

I believe I saw Chabert on The Tonight Show awhile back...her voice didn't bother me at all. I don't know how it can be said she lacks talent. Stage-acting isn't exactly proof or anything, but she's been doing such things since she was quite young. I wouldn't call her inept, or without acting talent...not in the least.

We all know Hewitt is there as a visual aid. No one's denying that much. I've said it a dozen times, but here goes again: I don't think she's talentless. I think very few pieces of human eye candy are without acting talent. They're nothing much to speak of, granted, but I wouldn't call them a one-trick pony...not completely.

But hey, maybe I'm biased. Perhaps you'd be a Connelly fan regardless of her acting talent. We'll never know.

i may be wrong, but i think Neve Campbell is dating John Cusack....in that case, maybe he'll help her find her way into some interesting movie roles, and steer her away from Scream 10. i agree with you, Holden, about Campbell in Wild Things....and about Wild Things as a movie........ "neo noir comedy"? how do you know what to call these things...?
i didn't hate the film entirely.....like you said, it was the over the top sexuality and trashiness that turned me off.

LBJ, i like Joe Montegna as well..and first saw him in House of Games....that led me follow Mamet and Montegna both...and they tend to stick together.......it's cool how one can find something they like and follow where it leads...from a director who's style you like, to his other movies, to his choice of actors, to their other works...and onward. that's how i've been travelling through the world of film since i stumbled onto classics......

hi sades

Neve Campbell and John Cusack did date for a while, but that was a couple years ago and I think it's long over. Before you go respecting her too much for her choice in male companionship, she also dated Matthew Lillard (Scream, Summer Catch, 13 Ghosts).

I call Wild Things a neo-Noir comedy because it uses the basic plot and graphic style of a post-modern crime thriller, such as Kasdan's Body Heat, and a comedy because I don't think it was supposed to be taken at all seriously. It is only a slight tone change away from an Airplane!-type parody of the Basic Instinct level sexual thriller. If the sexuality of it turns one off (or on) and doesn't allow them to see the embedded parody aspects, or if because it was sold as a straight sex thriller to teenaged boys that changes how you view the flick, that's fine. But my interpretation was that it's tongue was always planted firmly in cheek - that is when it's tongue wasn't licking the beaded sweat off of one of those hard bodies.

Different strokes, but I enjoyed Wild Things as a dark comedy having fun at a genre's expense.

I thought the only thing that saved the otherwise completely routine and hollow The Whole Nine Yards was Amanda Peet. And no, not just her nudity (which was spectacular) but her energy and comic timing.

Three to Tango was one of the worst romantic 'comedies' I've had the misfortune to see in recent years. It was obvious, it was badly written, it was clumsily directed, and even the usually reliable Oliver Platt had nothing to do (look, his hair is 'funny'). I liked just about all of the people involved in front of the camera, which is why I was so stunned at how inept a movie Three to Tango was. It was like the most trite sitcom imaginable, but not as good. I've seen "Three's Company" epsiodes that were more intelligent and amusing.

DEFINITELY have wildly opposing tastes on this one, Commish.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
How can you not love "Three to Tango"? It was ridiculously funny. I crack up everytime I see it. Not the most clever thing in the world...but then again, it doesn't have to be. I don't know if I'll ever get sick of that movie. Couple TTT with "The Whole Nine Yards," and you've got yourself proof that Matthew Perry is one funny bastard.

But hey, maybe I'm biased. Perhaps you'd be a Connelly fan regardless of her acting talent. We'll never know.
Oh...T...You are not scoring points with me today( don't say you weren't trying to, it's an expression). You can't say Three To Tango was a funny movie while we're discussing Neve, and they say it was funny because of Matthew Perry. Of course it was funny because of Matthew Perry, but what about Neve? Did she enhance the movie? Or was she forgettable?(forgettable )Then you talk about Jennifer L.H. not being talentless....again?*sigh* will you ever learn? THEN you go as far as to mention Connelly in the same breath...AGH, you are frustratin' me boy...watch yo' self nah!

Who cares if they're mentioned in the same sentence? All that matters is what is said about them in that sentence. Watch this: Jennifer Connelly is a better actress than Jennifer Love Hewitt. Uh-oh...I mentioned them in the SAME SENTENCE!

I went off-topic, as we have all been known to do. The subject of "Three to Tango" came up, and I mentioned that I thought it was hilarious. Not ONLY because of Matthew Perry, naturally, but mostly because of him. I think Campbell complemented him quite well, and was everything she was supposed to be.

And yeah, I stand by what I said: it's the first instinct of many to declare a piece of eye candy as either very talented (thinking below the waist), or talentless (annoyed by their repuation as eye candy)...the truth is almost always somewhere in-between, IMO.

Now With Moveable Parts
I doubt it.
Eye-candy is eye-candy. Eye-candy with talent is always obvious. What's not so obvious is the blurred line between what is talent and what is talent for looking great. In which case, I don't think Neve is either eye-candy or eye-candy with a bag of chips. She's simply THERE. Je-Lo-He(oh jeez) is less than THERE, she's barley visible, kept alive by boobs. T, you can think there's something there all you want...enjoy your candy.