Most underated movie, actor, actress..

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Harold and Maude is a classic, of course. I would feel sorry for anyone who hasn't seen it. It changes your perspective.

I didn't mean the characters so much as the actual actresses. Gwyneth don't do much for me, while Tripplehorn is a Babe and-a-Half.

Harold & Maude richly deserves its cult classic status. I spin the LD often.

If that kind of story is your bag, track down an excellent novel called Last Lovers by William Wharton.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
I didn't maen the characters so much as the actual actresses. Gwyneth don't do much for me, while Tripplehorn is a Babe and-a-Half.

Oh...well you said you'd follow that character Gerry's lead and choose Jeanne. I thought you meant her character. I think she's froggish looking personally.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yes, John is just the yummiest most ill-behaved well meaning man. like a sexy puppy or something. hmm. that might offend. like a ... wicked puppy?

oops, sorry Holden, I mixed up posts i was reading and meant that I loved bigvalbowski's sig. not that I don't like yours. i love your avatar and his sig. the best of both worlds.

jumping frogs, eh? isn't that sunfrog's territory?

Now With Moveable Parts
So...so...if...and...frogs...Holden...so...????

Nevermind.

Moving on. Most underated movie, The Gift. So underated, was it even rated? I loved it. Nice little gem of a film.

Originally posted by patti
...and mine goes to Madelaine Kahn...i'm sad she's gone, but she was the best, the most talented and the most hilarious actress ever...
Speaking of Madeline Kahn, Peter Bogdanovich's What's Up Doc? is a severely underrated (or maybe "underappreciated" is the more appropriate term) screwball comedy. And it was Madeline Kahn's best performance ("What more can they do to me?")

I agree with thmilin that Jodie Foster is neither underrated nor overrated.

Jeanne Tripplehorn? Eh. I, frankly, would take Gwyneth Paltrow over her.

Now With Moveable Parts
Hey, I thought that movie, Girl, Interrupted...was underated. I liked it, and the critics just tore it to shreds. Winonna Ryder is quite the underated actress as well. I thinks she's very down to earth and easy to relate to. Loved her work in ....American Quilt, Mermaids, Beetlejuice, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Reality Bites, Girl, Interrupted, others too...just can't think of them.

frogs, lilypads, petrie dishes, wicked puppies?....what's goin' on here?

Harold and Maude? such a terrific movie; so unique and charming and sad and funny and quirky. a celebration of emotions.

Underrated Actor: Jeremy Piven

He was pretty good in "Grosse Point Blank" and absolutely magical in "Cupid". A thousand curses be on ABC for yanking that show after 13 episodes. You could start a whole new network with shows ABC has cancelled. And it'd be pretty darn good, too.

Oh, and Commish.....congrats on taking the site live. It looks great and smells VERAH NAUCE

i second Jeremy Piven....liked him in Cupid and was surprised it was cancelled. i thought Very Bad Things was a pretty intense movie and i recommended it to friends and all they could say was " it's sooooo violent!". Piven was great in that...recall the scene when he's in the bathroom with the hooker and he's bragging about how she probably expected "less", but noooo, he's got it goin'!!! that movie was dark comedy to it's fullest.

wait, who's he? Piven? is he the best friend in Serendipity? if so, looooove him. he cracked the hell out of me.

liev schrieber. does good stuff.

Yes, Piven is Cusack's best friend in Serendipity. It's a role he also plays in real life: Jeremy and Cusack have been buds since childhood. He's had at least cameos if not featured supporting roles in quite a few of John's other flicks, including Grosse Pointe Blank, One Crazy Summer, Say Anything..., and The Grifters.

Piven got to star in the would-be modern day Animal House wannabe, P.C.U., which is mildly entertaining. And before starring in the short-lived "Cupid", he had visible scene-stealing supporting roles on "The Larry Sanders Show" and "Ellen". You also may have noticed him in Heat (he's the doctor DeNiro takes the wounded Kilmer to), Kiss the Girls (he's the nervous L.A. cop who helps them find the killer's partner in crime), and Rush Hour 2 (he's the Versace salseman).

One of Piven's next projects is the Ridley Scott picture Black Hawk Down, with Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore and Josh Hartnett.

Now With Moveable Parts
Jauquin Pheonix( did I just murder the spelling of his name?) is a very talented actor that comes to mind for me. The first movie I remember seeing him in was, To Die For. I loved his work in Clay Pigeons, and of course he's the only reason I was interested in Gladiator. He delivers in everything I see him in. Even 8 mm, which was a stupid movie.

hi sades - i think it's spelled Joaquin (phoenix) and i agree that he is great in every movie he undertakes....he's the main reason i checked out Gladiator as well. i know his name is pronounced "wakeen". and sades, where the hell is that Thanksgiving thread you started..i can't find it...and thanks for the IM!

oh yes, piven kicked butt as the gay versace salesmen in RH2 ...

he'd be so cool to have as a real best friend. men like him remind me why i like men so much. fun, goofy schmucks, ah ...

it is indeed "joaquin" - and mexican? the name, not him. so the J is as in "jesus" ... "wakeen" would be a nice american try. "hwoakeen" ...

aaaanyway ... he always looks a bit druggy to me but yes, indeed very good. i couldn't stand him in To Die For but I guess that was the point. i couldn't stand Kidman in that either. couldn't stand that movie! a deliciously bad apple ... just BAD! in gladiator. sick little puppy, that one's good at playing those roles.

you mentioned tom sizemore. him ... him and james gandolfini, those are the guys who always play thugs and gangsters and who are always sexy as hell to me. obviously gandolfini now has his glory with The Sopranos but Sizemore only got a wee bit of attention in that movie ... hmm, with Nick Cage, the one about ghosts and ambulance driving?

ooooooooh my goodness. i can't believe i forgot! but i have been reminded!

ollie platt. oooh ooh, oliver platt! his Deadline tv show flopped but that man is just ... whew. he was in Dangerous Beauty (so-so movie) and Lake Placid (never even bothered) but the man ... something about him makes me happy. Just like Sandra Bullock. just one look and I feel like i ate a slice of warm apple pie.

...oliver platt????? i know the name but i can't picture him....trying..........can't.....re....call.... faaaace...... i'll have to look him up to see if my memory gets jogged. my mind keeps flashing a picture of Jack Black....but i suspect they are simply both dark haired kinda big guys, eh?

Oliver Platt is greatness. He's good in everything I've seen him in.

Originally posted by patti
...oliver platt????? i know the name but i can't picture him....trying..........can't.....re....call.... faaaace...... i'll have to look him up to see if my memory gets jogged. my mind keeps flashing a picture of Jack Black....but i suspect they are simply both dark haired kinda big guys, eh?
He played Matthew Perry's roommate in "Three to Tango." He's a pretty cool guy...obviously intelligent, and has great timing.