Remakes favorite or least favorite

Tools    

Yeah the remake of Ocean 11's I thought was just as fun but like you said in a different way and the filmmaking was top-notch I just love the Cinematography and the great thing about it is that Soderbergh was the Cinematography I just found this out today on IMDB.

also Have you seen THE KILLER INSIDE ME I love that movie William A. Fraker use of the camera and the story are very well mixed and Stacey Keach is a great actor that put out I think his strongest performance next to THE NEW CENTURIONS

I like Stacey Keach, hair lip and all, but I'd say The Killer Inside Me is easily the worst Thompson adaptation yet. Unlike Coup de Torchon, it doesn't capture the heart of the book at all. I'd grade The Killer Inside Me a C-, a very minor film and a botch of an adaptation.

Soderbergh has served as his own cinematographer and camera operator on Traffic and Schizopolis too. He's a multi-talnted multi-tasker, that's for sure. I love the guy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

okay......warming up fingers to type.........Best remake is Carpenter's The Thing. i think that is my favorite scary/alien movie,
Great/Equal to original remake is Cape Fear.....both Mitchum and DeNiro are very under my skin creepy and menacing. There are just so many things i could rave about in both versions........

Worst Remake EVER is no doubt The Haunting.......horrible, horrible .......... an insult to the Julie Harris original. Bleck!

Some other remakes i like; Of Human Bondage....remade with Lawrence Harvey and Kim Novak in 1964 (original Bette Davis and Leslie Howard in 1934). Both good, but i prefer the remake.

The Mummy remake is fun, comedic and exciting and the visuals are terrific......the original is classic and perfect just the way it is.

the remake of Psycho is just confounding to me.

the remake of Breathless is a joke

the remake of Rear Window is also a joke.

the remake of The Vanishing was acceptable to me and creepy.

the Americanized version of On The Wings Of Desire- that being City of Angels should not be linked at all to the Wim Wenders masterpiece, yet on it's own i liked it well enough...what can i say? Nick Cage has me forever.

the modified remake of William Wyler's These Three (1936 Miriam Hopkins and Merle Oberon) was called The Children's Hour (1961 Shirley MacLaine and Audrey Hephburn). Wyler directed both (based on a Lillian Hellman play), but the later version highlighted the suggested lesbianism of the two schoolteachers.......i preferred the original but i felt the remake was quite daring.

and some remakes i would like to see done......kinda........i'm leery of seeing any classic remade......yet i'm curious to see it attempeted.......The Snake Pit (Olivia de Havilland 1948), On Borrowed Time (a favorite of mine with good ol' Lionel Barrymore 1939), and *gasp* Hitchcock's Rebecca.

that's all for now. gotta think of more.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've said all I can say in this thread. It's hard when you haven't seen the original to compare to the remake.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I've thought about this for a while and I'd say that Invasion of the Body Snatchers would be my second favorite remake next to The Thing both movies I'd say are better than the orginal also Ocean's 11 is right behind those too as best remakes.
________
condo sale Pattaya

I love Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but while it is a worthy successor and one of the best re-makes ever, I still don't think it's as good as Don Siegel's original masterpiece. Likewise, Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers (1993) is another good take on the material, but not as good as the '78 version. But the second and third movie are really more like extensions of the previous film than straight re-makes, especially Kaufman's. The Kevin McCarthy cameo in the '78 flick is priceless.

some other remakes to consider; Stella (1990 Bette Midler) -original Stella Dallas (1937 Barbara Stanwyck). original wins.

WutheringHeights...three versions 1939 (Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier....dir.William Wyler) , 1953 (Luis Bunuel's spanish version), and 1971 (Timothy Dalton, Anna Calder-Marshall).
The first one is one of my alltime favorite movies.

There's also a good version of Wuthering Heights from 1992, starring Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff and Juliette Binoche as Catherine. I don't know that you'll ever like anything more than a wet Olivier on the cliffs, but I think this version is quite good and worth seeing.

you know, Holden, now that you mention it, i do remember seeing the Fiennes/Binoche version. the Fiennes brothers are terrific.

i have been thinking of other remakes.......The Island of Dr. Moreau (original Island of Lost Souls 1933....classic!) was remade in 1977 (with Burt Lancaster, Michael York), and in 1996 (with Brando and Val Kilmer).

Cat People (dir. Jacques Tourneur with Simone Simon 1942) was remade in 1982 (dir, Paul Schraderwith Nastassja Kinsky).....again, the original wins with me.

The sci-fi classic, The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) was adapted to make Lily Tomlin's comedy version The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981).

Stuck on an island with the original or remake of gone in 60 seconds I'd take the remake. Powering my dvd player with cocoanuts and wires of dissimiler metals.
The first set a milestone in car chase/crash scenes which was reproduced in every episode of CHiPs. By today's standards, yawn. The remake was dull as well, it had much more story but surprisingly fewer chases. It seemed sort of sedated. I wonder if this film was affected by the new self policing of Hollywood. Pre Sept 11th there was a call to clean up the language and violence coming from the film industry.
The Thing, The fly, already listed but soooo much better as remakes.
Now let me pick on Planet of The Apes 2001. Actually a decent interpretation of the book (Monkey Planet) but where did they get the horses? Some say the effects were better in the remake, but the original could never be upstaged, it was just too well done. Not so the sequels, they got worse as the list grew.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by patti

The sci-fi classic, The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) was adapted to make Lily Tomlin's comedy version The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981).
I like both of these movies a lot. The litle man, warding off spiders and living in a matchbox. The little woman...warding off the spanish-speaking maid shoving her and produce down a garbage disposal, and living in a dollhouse with Barbie. Great movies, both of them...Lilly Tomlin was great in that movie, wasn't she? Who was the little man? Anyone famous? I can't remember, been awhile.

Now With Moveable Parts
Oh well...I liked it anyways, then again, I was like five and my mom made me watch it on AMC.

Just learned that Imagine films is re-making The Incredibly Shrinking Man. But wait, it's going to be directed by Keenan Ivory Wayans (Scary Movie, I'm Gonna Git You,Sucka, "In Living Color") and star Eddie Murphy. Geeze, it's The Nutty Porfessor/Dr. Doolittle syndrome all over again. Let's take the general idea then throw Eddie into it, 'cause he's so darn funny. I shudder to think which classic movie they'll turn into an Eddie Murphy vehicle next.

But here's something much, MUCH, MUCH worse: Adam fu*kin' Sandler is starring in a re-make of Frank Capra's Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (shortened to Mr. Deeds).

Unfortunately, that's not a joke. I know it sounds like one (a bad one), but it isn't. Sandler stars as Longfellow Deeds and Winona Ryder as Babe Bennett. It's directed by Steven Brill, the genius who brought us Little Nicky.

If you still don't believe me, you can download the trailer in all it's jaw-dropping can't-believe-they-did-this glory HERE. This is going to make Chris Rock's recent lame shot at Here Comes Mr. Jordan look like a masterpiece.

Crappy-Crap Crap

Yep, I heard about that a couple months back, though, back then, it apparently was only called "Deeds." I guess they've changed it. I'm not sure what to think of it yet...Sandler doesn't strike me as a remake type of guy, but then again, I think he's damn funny. Oh, and for the record, I think Eddie Murphy is equally hilarious, and I don't mind his remakes, so long as they remain as funny as they have been so far.

that is indeed horrible news holden. yeegads, what are they all just high when they decide to do things like that? But never fear!! the Eddie Mupphy and Sandler movies will be farces that come and go and leave nary a dent in the integrity of the originals.

True true... Island of Lost Souls can NEVER be remade to any successful result. It was just too good. By the way, The new Gone in Sixty Seconds did not have good chases either! There were in fact, very few actual chases in that movie and they were all done with tight shots and very little continuity. WHo the hell ever had any idea what was going on during the action scenes in that movie? Not to mention the fact that it was sooo obvious every time they used computers. they didn't make it look stunningly real. It was appalingly artificial. Poo on that.