The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

George Lucas has insisted that the Star Wars movies are not science fiction.
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a1...is-not-sci-fi/
who givs a fck what he thinks. hes the reason the framchise went to sht in the first plasce.
he made it so he can call it.. also the reason there is a franchise in the first place..
I'm going to have to go with the idea that: the director doesn't get to tell us what his film is about, especially way after it's been released. Ridley Scott did that with Blade Runner which was a dumb ass move on his part. Besides IMO Lucas with his adding CG to his past films and then having the original copies not made available anymore, commented a type of self-perjury. (BTW it's totally cool you posted that link I'm just saying I don't personally abide by Lucas' nonsense.)

It's more like if you made a "pastry" that looks and tastes like a sandwich, but keep telling people it's a pastry. Maybe you used phyllo dough instead of bread, but the rest of it is definitely a sandwich.

Star Wars doesn't have to be classified as one or the other; they're not mutually exclusive. It's allowed to be both fantasy and science fiction. Most films fit into multiple genres anyway, so I've never understood why the genre argument is a hill so many fans are willing to die on.

Star Wars doesn't have to be classified as one or the other; they're not mutually exclusive. It's allowed to be both fantasy and science fiction. Most films fit into multiple genres anyway, so I've never understood why the genre argument is a hill so many fans are willing to die on.
Exactly right. Try pigeonholing 'Alien' into just 1 genre. Lucas obviously feels that he prefers the term fantasy than sci-fi for star wars. That's up to him.

But to me, the whole saga clearly has strongly defined sci fi elements. It's set in space on spaceships for goodness sake!

If William Freidkin came out and said 'The Exorcist' wasn't horror - more psychological drama, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't all be redefining it's genre in our heads overnight.

I've always felt the Star Wars trilogy have more in common with Westerns than any other genre anyway, but I'm weird like that

Now if y'all will excuse me it's time to give the Millennium Falcon another hay bale

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I considered a sci-fi/western as a nom
I had one in mind as well

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO JOIN!

Officially you have until 12:00am Eastern to submit your nomination.

Unofficially, I'm not going to check the timestamps on my PMs, so as long as it's received before 5:00am Eastern tomorrow, I'm not going to argue.

I felt bit was a little too heavy on action to me to be completely appropriate for this HoF.
Before you sent your nomination, your film was on my list of rewatches to consider for the HoF. So that's the kind of film I originally had in mind. However, it sounds like the film I eventually decided on is more like the one you passed over haha.

My film is quite heavy on the action and comedy, though the sci-fi elements are a critical part of the story and its universe. It also celebrates a lot of common sci-fi tropes, with the occasional obvious reference. So I feel like it's definitely appropriate.

(if anyone disagrees, well I'm the host so tough luck haha)

Here's the decade breakdown of the current nominations, in case anyone wants to speculate in anticipation of tomorrow's reveal:

1950s - 1
1960s - 2
1980s - 2
1990s - 1
2000s - 3
2010s - 1

Apparently we have no love for '70s sci-fi yet. I did consider a couple though.

Apparently we have no love for '70s sci-fi yet. I did consider a couple though.

I've got a 70's pick but I felt like it was more fantasy than Science Fiction and more appropriate for the next Hall of Fame.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
When's the reveal happening?
Nominations will definitely be up before then. It would be 12pm Eastern at the latest (if we do a scheduled reveal).
So, give or take, most likely, possibly, before, or just a little after, noon Saturday.

weather permitting

This has been your Prime Directive reporting, thank you
All Hail the Big Green Alien Head