MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

"Jacob's Ladder" is psychological mystery just like "Mulholland Drive".
ofc, it s not a horror film

ofc, it s not a horror film
So you are the expert.... why exactly?

I often feel it hard to decide what is horror, but does it really matter in the end? Is the movie good or bad no matter the genre. That’s important. However, in regards to this list, we had to make some rules and how we were gonna vote, and that made those films eligible. So I’m sorry to tell you, but a good handful disagrees with you, including the entire IMDb as well, where it is listed as horror, as well as Wikipedia where it’s listed as psychological horror, and probably many other places. Just searching for “Jacob’a Ladder” on Google has the word “horror” popping up all over...

What am I looking at? Ever heard of a psychological horror?
this movie is a thriller, it is not a horror film, to begin with, horror movies, are the ones mentioned: horror-thriller

My statement isn't about Jacob's latter. You're literally saying it's impossible for a movie to be a psychological thriller and a horror thriller at the same time, which makes no sense. I don't even have to name examples bevause the thought seems like something someone inexperienced would say. It's entirely possible, regardless of whether or not Jacon's Ladder is a horror movie.

Gotta love Rambond's reasoning: They're not horror films because they're thrillers. Because:

a) Movies can't be multiple genres (apparently)
b) He said so

Awesome argument.

Gotta love Rambond's reasoning: They're not horror films because they're thrillers. Because:

a) Movies can't be multiple genres (apparently)
b) He said so

Awesome argument.
yes, well horror films are horror/thrillers, and psychological thriller/mystery are a different thing, i just gave u an example:
the conjuring is a horror thriller
while mulholland drive is a psychological/mystery thriller
this all comes to one basic information: there s a difference between a thriller and a horror film.

clearly starts with drama, and end with mystery, case closed....

yes, well horror films are horror/thrillers, and psychological thriller/mystery are a different thing.
Psychological horror is a thing, too.

If you're going to say "it's not this," then you need to provide an objective reason and definition for why it is not. Because you said so isn't an objective reason.

Also, there was a time and place for arguing what is and is not horror. This is not the place and the time for it passed months ago.

clearly starts with drama, and end with mystery, case closed....
This statement makes me think it’s time to stop feeding the troll.

I have yet to see a reason that comes with a point or example and we aren’t gonna get one. Why you may ask? Well, because I say so.

thriller/mystery are a different thing, i just gave u an example:
An example is not the same thing as an argument, though. Detailing your personal standard is not the same as defending it. Examples also don't explain where you draw the line between the two.

You are treating it as a given that a film must only belong primarily to one genre. That's not a fact: some films are horror comedies. Some films are action and horror. Lots of films are lots of things at once.

Now, it's potentially reasonable to have the opinion that, for the purposes of this list, a film should have to be primarily horror, and to have the opinion that this film or that film does not quality. It's just not at all reasonable to pretend that this is some kind of objective fact that you can reference, which is what you appear to think.

I'm gonna be an obsessive compulsive dick and bring up Aliens again. Aliens is often viewed as any combination of action, thriller, sci-fi and horror. Why not all four? It's got plenty of things from all four categories.

This statement makes me think it’s time to stop feeding the troll.

I have yet to see a reason that comes with a point or example and we aren’t gonna get one. Why you may ask? Well, because I say so.
when did you see that i am trolling ,or just when you see someone trying to explain what he thinks as in trolling, then you need get yourself checked, i wonder why people are just head on accuse people of trolling just for saying their opinion.

I'm gonna be an obsessive compulsive dick and bring up Aliens again. Aliens is often viewed as any combination of action, thriller, sci-fi and horror. Why not all four? It's got plenty of things from all four categories.
there s clearly a difference, the first alien was a scifi horror, while Aliens is an action scifi film, just like Avatar and other blockbuster films, it happened to be that james cameron had to keep the horror element because that s what made the first one so scary by showing the alien in jump scares, while here there are just a few scenes where it felt like a horror film, but it s an out and out scifi actioneer

when did you see that i am trolling ,or just when you see someone trying to explain what he thinks as in trolling, then you need get yourself checked, i wonder why people are just head on accuse people of trolling just for saying their opinion.
But you are not "trying to explain" anything. You haven't explained anything at all, really. You have stated a one-sided opinion and presented it like facts. And you won't take a counter argument, but just shuts it down with "you are wrong and I am wright" kind of mentality. There has been plenty examples in here but you seem to come up short on those which concerns your part of the discussion...

And the trolling? Well, when someone literally screenshots the IMDb page - which is also the basis for the voting in this thread - and it says "drama, horror, mystery" and you just brush over the 'horror' part and only mention drama and mystery and say "case closed". Well that's just ignorant and asking for it, really... If it's not trolling well... then it's even worse actually.

there s clearly a difference, the first alien was a scifi horror, while Aliens is an action scifi film, just like Avatar and other blockbuster films, it happened to be that james cameron had to keep the horror element because that s what made the first one so scary by showing the alien in jump scares, while here there are just a few scenes where it felt like a horror film, but it s an out and out scifi actioneer
All you really stated was your own opinion. A large part of horror is suspense build-up, and there were several moments of that throughout the film that usually lead to a real scare as opposed to jump-scares. There were a couple of jump-scares but that was not the focus. And the real action didn't start until about halfway through the movie, as opposed to the short build-up and scare scene in the first ten minutes.

But you are not "trying to explain" anything. You haven't explained anything at all, really. You have stated a one-sided opinion and presented it like facts. And you won't take a counter argument, but just shuts it down with "you are wrong and I am wright" kind of mentality. There has been plenty examples in here but you seem to come up short on those which concerns your part of the discussion...

And the trolling? Well, when someone literally screenshots the IMDb page - which is also the basis for the voting in this thread - and it says "drama, horror, mystery" and you just brush over the 'horror' part and only mention drama and mystery and say "case closed". Well that's just ignorant and asking for it, really... If it's not trolling well... then it's even worse actually.
what is there more to explain, i have expressed my opinion that jacob s ladder isn t a horror film, but rather a psychological thriller,it has some scares but it doesn t mean that it s a horror film to go and watch, if you select this movie genre this movie would go to, that would be the Thriller type: it goes with movies like: arlington road, mulholland drive,misery,the game, twin peaks,cape fear, lost highway and so on. on which is there anything else to explain?