MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I tried watching The Exorcist, but I just couldn't get through it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dead of Night is the original horror anthology film and still delivers the goods, with sparkling acting, a taut script and a large house in the country providing a perfect setting for chills and thrills, which are masterfully held off until the striking ending. The framing story of the architect dreaming about coming to the house and knowing almost everything which will happen is a great way to pin all the subsequent stories which range from the humorous (the golfing ghost) to the incredibly eerie (the ventriloquist and his dummy). If you haven't seen this, you owe it to yourself to remedy that and see where many classic horror scenarios come from. Michael Redgrave gives an awesome performance as the ventriloquist.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Stepfather was not a moneymaking film, but it quickly developed a huge cult following, and my friends, family and I are all happy to be card-carrying members of the cult. If you like straight horror films, thrillers or flix which are very self-aware about all their blood, gore and sex (without reducing themselves to straight camp), The Stepfather should be right up your alley. As with most cult films, the more times you watch it, with the more people in the room with you, the more you'll probably appreciate it. In fact, the hardest thing for me to decide on was a rating to give the film. Depending on my mood and who I'm with, I can give the flick anywhere from
to
, but I decided that a rating of
is appropriate after 30 years of mostly oblivion and a recent mass release to a newer generation.

The Stepfather is about a man (Terry O'Quinn) who desperately wants the American Dream and does everything he can to seek it out. Now, in this character's mind (he's called Jerry throughout most of the film), if he has to destroy his latest imperfect family to seek out a better one, he has no problem with that. Jerry does seem to realize what he's doing most of the time, but there are other times where he seems to have completely blocked out his violent past in his pursuit of trying to create the perfect family. Jerry basically has no background. We never learn about his childhood at all, but we do know that he apparently has no criminal record or has ever been part of the military since no one has a record of his fingerprints. Jerry is a good salesman though, so that allows him to pull up stakes, move and find a new job very quickly because he is very good at what he does. He can sell real estate and insurance equally well, especially since he's so proud of helping out so many families by doing so.

After a highly-memorable opening scene where Jerry leaves his latest family, we see him a year later living very happily with his new wife Susan (Shelley Hack) but not so pleasantly with his teenage stepdaughter Stephanie (Jill Schoelen) who seems to irrationally blame Jerry for the death of her father. Stephanie has a father figure she likes in the form of her psychiatrist (Charles Lanyer), but Jerry refuses to meet with the doctor even after Stephanie gets expelled from high school for inappropriate behavior. Meanwhile, the brother (Stephen Shellen) of Jerry's last wife is on a crusade to get the local press and police to reopen the murder case and begins his own investigation into who Jerry could possibly be if he repeats his previous modus operandi. As things come to a head with Jill and her burgeoning sexuality, Jerry seems about ready to snap and move on to greener pastures to find a more perfect family.

The Stepfather rises up to the cream of its genre for many fortuitous reasons. The entire cast is earnest but Terry O'Quinn gives one of the best genre performances ever. Even after we see his incredibly-destructive side, he comes across as an empathetic villain. On top of O'Quinn's scary sincerity, he has several chances to garner needed laughs when he gets that gleam in his eyes and says something as innocent as "Are you OK, sweetheart?" Donald E. Westlake's script is a model of the rise-and-fall school of plot development, as well as the slowburn build-up. Things take their sweet time to come to a boil, but what a wonderful boil they become. Joseph Ruben, who made several thrillers in the middle of his career and claims to hate scary movies, did his finest, most-controlled work on The Stepfather and walks a thin line between out-and-out thrills and yell-at-the-screen laughs. The Stepfather was an audience participation film when I watched it several times at the theatre in the '80s, and it still seems like a participation film today in my own living room. It contains many memorable lines of dialogue and gestures and facial expressions by O'Quinn for all to groove to and pass on to their unsuspecting friends. Long live The Stepfather and hopefully it will not disappear again now that we have the DVD release to enjoy over and over again.

My list:

1. Rosemary's Baby (#7)
2. Halloween (#6)
3. Dance of the Vampires
4.The Wicker Man (#37)
5. Eraserhead (#11)
6.The Exorcist (#5)
7. Possession (#33)
8. A Nightmare on Elm Street (#12)
9. Dracula 1958
10. Mother Joan of the Angels
11. Ringu (#31)
12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)
14. ???
15.The Return of the Living Dead
16.Let's Scare Jessica to Death
17. Alice Sweet Alice
18 .Slither
19. Poltergeist (#15)
20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Birds (#41)
22. Dawn of the Dead (#20)
23. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Aw, man, this was my number one, I really thought it might get number one.

1. The Exorcist
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
6. Halloween
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Nosferatu (original)
10. Rosemary’s Baby
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
13. Dracula (1931)
14. King Kong
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
17. Nightmare on Elm Street
18. Suspiria
19. Saw
20. Scream
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
23. Repulsion
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

The Thing getting top four? Lord, it's not that good!
i would have to say honestly, u ve put much better films behind peeping tom, which to me doesn t deserve nb12 while susperia would deserve nb12

Welcome to the human race...
The Exorcist was *this* close to making my final list - maybe top 30? On the respect-versus-love spectrum, it skews closer to the former than the latter, but once again this is another instance where it didn't need my approval to succeed.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Stepfather was not a moneymaking film, but it quickly developed a huge cult following, and my friends, family and I are all happy to be card-carrying members of the cult. If you like straight horror films, thrillers or flix which are very self-aware about all their blood, gore and sex (without reducing themselves to straight camp), The Stepfather should be right up your alley. As with most cult films, the more times you watch it, with the more people in the room with you, the more you'll probably appreciate it. In fact, the hardest thing for me to decide on was a rating to give the film. Depending on my mood and who I'm with, I can give the flick anywhere from
to
, but I decided that a rating of
is appropriate after 30 years of mostly oblivion and a recent mass release to a newer generation.

The Stepfather is about a man (Terry O'Quinn) who desperately wants the American Dream and does everything he can to seek it out. Now, in this character's mind (he's called Jerry throughout most of the film), if he has to destroy his latest imperfect family to seek out a better one, he has no problem with that. Jerry does seem to realize what he's doing most of the time, but there are other times where he seems to have completely blocked out his violent past in his pursuit of trying to create the perfect family. Jerry basically has no background. We never learn about his childhood at all, but we do know that he apparently has no criminal record or has ever been part of the military since no one has a record of his fingerprints. Jerry is a good salesman though, so that allows him to pull up stakes, move and find a new job very quickly because he is very good at what he does. He can sell real estate and insurance equally well, especially since he's so proud of helping out so many families by doing so.

After a highly-memorable opening scene where Jerry leaves his latest family, we see him a year later living very happily with his new wife Susan (Shelley Hack) but not so pleasantly with his teenage stepdaughter Stephanie (Jill Schoelen) who seems to irrationally blame Jerry for the death of her father. Stephanie has a father figure she likes in the form of her psychiatrist (Charles Lanyer), but Jerry refuses to meet with the doctor even after Stephanie gets expelled from high school for inappropriate behavior. Meanwhile, the brother (Stephen Shellen) of Jerry's last wife is on a crusade to get the local press and police to reopen the murder case and begins his own investigation into who Jerry could possibly be if he repeats his previous modus operandi. As things come to a head with Jill and her burgeoning sexuality, Jerry seems about ready to snap and move on to greener pastures to find a more perfect family.

The Stepfather rises up to the cream of its genre for many fortuitous reasons. The entire cast is earnest but Terry O'Quinn gives one of the best genre performances ever. Even after we see his incredibly-destructive side, he comes across as an empathetic villain. On top of O'Quinn's scary sincerity, he has several chances to garner needed laughs when he gets that gleam in his eyes and says something as innocent as "Are you OK, sweetheart?" Donald E. Westlake's script is a model of the rise-and-fall school of plot development, as well as the slowburn build-up. Things take their sweet time to come to a boil, but what a wonderful boil they become. Joseph Ruben, who made several thrillers in the middle of his career and claims to hate scary movies, did his finest, most-controlled work on The Stepfather and walks a thin line between out-and-out thrills and yell-at-the-screen laughs. The Stepfather was an audience participation film when I watched it several times at the theatre in the '80s, and it still seems like a participation film today in my own living room. It contains many memorable lines of dialogue and gestures and facial expressions by O'Quinn for all to groove to and pass on to their unsuspecting friends. Long live The Stepfather and hopefully it will not disappear again now that we have the DVD release to enjoy over and over again.
Well written there markf, as you know I watched this film for the first time this year and I highly enjoyed it.

If I were making a top 50, this would be on the list.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. The Shining
2. Alien
3. Halloween
4. The Thing
5. Psycho
6. The Exorcist
7. Rosemary's Baby
8. The Fly
9. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
10. Dead-Alive
This was my top ten guess. Way off, but could still win out with the top 2.

i would have to say honestly, u ve put much better films behind peeping tom, which to me doesn t deserve nb12 while susperia would deserve nb12
Well, to each his own, I consider Peeping Tom a masterpiece.

Unregistered User
TCM was my number 6, Halloween I had at 16 and The Exorcist at 11. I really wanted to include Rosemary's Baby but it didn't make it.
Seen every film and all but 2 on my list appearing, those 2 being The Strangers and Eyes of My Mother. Really enjoyed the countdown and although I hope The Shining takes it, I've a feeling its going to Alien.

I was one month old when my Ma and Aunt decided to take me with them to see the Exorcist much to the chagrin of other movie goers ("What kind of mother would bring a baby to see this?!?") Now they didn't take me to see it but they wanted to see it and I was there so along I went. In all honesty, I don't remember much (anything) about it. As the story goes I fell asleep as soon as they sat down and didn't wake until it was over (even then I knew enough to keep my big yap shut during a movie). However, for as long as I can remember horror has been my fav genre. Coincidence? Maybe it didn't have any effect but I sure am glad they didn't go to see Sleeper.

It's not just a great horror movie. It's a great movie, period. There are my 2 favorites movies of all time, they never change, then the next three and that's where the Exorcist resides. Had it at no.1.

jacob s ladder, is not a horror film, it s a psychological thriller/mystery out and out
Movies I've watch-listed during the course of this countdown:
(never seen or in need of a re-watch)

TCM was my number 6, Halloween I had at 16 and The Exorcist at 11. I really wanted to include Rosemary's Baby but it didn't make it.
Seen every film and all but 2 on my list appearing, those 2 being The Strangers and Eyes of My Mother. Really enjoyed the countdown and although I hope The Shining takes it, I've a feeling its going to Alien.
I've also seen every film on the list. I think only 4 on my list won't make it.

jacob s ladder, the skin i live in, are not a horror film, it s a psychological thriller out and out
Haven't seen both yet, Jacob's Ladder ended up @ # 67. on the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies List, five members voted for it. The Skin I Live In # 80, with 4 voters.

guys just to make it clear once and for all, Jacob s ladder is not a horror film, you can t mix psychological thrillers with horror thrillers, they are different, it s like comparing Mulholland Drive to The conjuring...!!!

Why can't there be more than one way to horrify someone?

Anyway, we've been through the "X is not horror" thing. It's highly subjective, and if there's anything at all to really talk about, I can't imagine just saying it isn't over and over is the way to talk about it.

guys just to make it clear once and for all, Jacob s ladder is not a horror film, you can t mix psychological thrillers with horror thrillers, they are different, it s like comparing Mulholland Drive to The conjuring...!!!
What am I looking at? Ever heard of a psychological horror?

What am I looking at? Ever heard of a psychological horror?
this movie is a thriller, it is not a horror film, to begin with, horror movies, are the ones mentioned: horror-thriller