Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

An ugly and disturbing docudrama that is riveting from start to finish with standout performances from Justin Timberlake, Anton Yelchin, Ben Foster, and Sharon Stone.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The Front Runner (2018)

Bill Burr rips a guy's wig off.

Welcome to the human race...
The Conjuring -

maybe we could've conjured a top 100 horror movies list that didn't have something as average as this in the mid-20s

(my main takeaway from watching this is that I did not appreciate Session 9 as much as I should have)

The Conjuring -

maybe we could've conjured a top 100 horror movies list that didn't have something as average as this in the mid-20s

(my main takeaway from watching this is that I did not appreciate Session 9 as much as I should have)
At this rate are you watching "The Conjuring 2"?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Snowpiercer (2013)

It's quirky with great colours and lighting, at least half an hour too long, tonally really weird with splashes of nasty violence - it must be a Bong Joon-ho movie!

I'd been wanting to watch this for ages but it's not available on dvd, so I was excited to see it pop up on Netflix.

I really liked this to start off with. I didn't mind that it didn't make realistic sense, it was never going to be that kind of movie. It seemed like it was setting out to be Brazil on a train, a kind of dystopian satire or allegory (Is John Hurt's character name a coincidence?). But the stop start pacing and the aforementioned tonal weirdness really weighed it down, and the last half hour was a bit of a mess. I was wondering why the film was lacking in rounded characters or relationships and then I realised they were mostly just there as cannon fodder. I'm not sure Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans were actually acting in the same movie (although John Hurt was spot on).

(I really could have lived without hearing about the thing Curtis hates about himself as well.)

Ken Park (2002)

Pretty impressive and disturbing slice of teenage life from Larry Clark (think most of the script was Harmony Korine). Disparate tales of youthful dissatisfaction which can either resound or, as I felt sometimes, were full of posturing. The acting is amatuer-ish (understandable) but that doesn't hurt the overall feel of the film. It's well put together and shocking in the way it portrays the louche against the innocent or damaged.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Shooo... It was one of those days where I just felt like watching movies. And yeah, so I'm getting here pretty late after watching InuYasha all night so I'm hitting the sack as soon as this post goes through.

Castle in the Sky (1986) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

It's Miyazaki at his best so it's unsurprising that it holds its own to repeated viewings. I've even seen it theatrically and it never ceases to amaze me. Expect a glowing review within the next few days.
When Marnie Was There (2014) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

It's no secret that Miyazaki is making his next film, but even if this had been Ghibli's final hurrah, we couldn't ask for a more uplifting, poignant, emotionally satisfying, or altogether rewarding swan song. And hey, if I had to pick, it's my favorite Ghibli film Miyazaki didn't direct. Moreover, considering I enjoyed both of Yonebayashi's other films, I'd love to see what he does next. Maybe I should tackle this one, too, while I'm at it. Not for nothing but I've seen it enough times and found the time to read Joan G. Robinson's novel, so maybe I could pull it off.

Summer Wars (2009) - First Time via FunimationNow

Hosoda sure as hell knows how to make a good movie, huh? Between this, Mirai, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Wolf Children, it seems he has yet to disappoint me. I guess now it all depends on how The Boy and the Beast turns out. As for this one, if you want my honest opinion, it does everything right in terms of story, animation, musical scoring, and voice acting (not to mention the dub script is completely natural). Michael Sinterniklaas is excellent as Kenji, the math genius who's in way over his head. The same can be said for Brina Palencia as Natsuki in quite the departure from her seemingly emotionless turn as Rei Ayanami (it's the way that character is written). Gendo Ikari himself John Swasey is gruff but likable as Mansuke, who often tells stories about the Feudal era. Kyoya Otori himself J. Michael Tatum is perfect as uncle Wabisuke who is treated as an outsider by the rest of the family. The humor and drama work equally well here and it kept me engaged throughout. Hosoda does it again and I can see myself coming back to this one many more times in the future.

Unregistered User

That Obscure Object Of Desire (1977)

Watching more Bunuel these days and really enjoying his films. This one is up there with my favourite, the top spot going to Belle De Jour, which is unlikely to be overtaken. Bunuel films are very distinctive and the style here is like most of his other films, although its not quite as surreal as the others. Again he portrays the bourgeoisie, this time brilliantly narrated, on a train in flashbacks scenes. This one will stick out however, with the fact that two different actresses are playing the same part, yet both have two completely separate personalities. All of this, with a background of ongoing terrorism in the streets!

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I watched Avengers: Endgame last night and man...I've heard people complain about the first half, but hell, I loved the entire film. If a movie can get me choked up then it's damn good and if a movie makes me get choked up three times then it's phenomenal in my book! Endgame for me is in the latter!