The Wire

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The Wire
season one, episode one

Ext. night: Rivulets of blood creep across pavement, flashing in the lights of a police cruiser, we pan across a body, and police investigating. Overlooking the scene from a tenement stoop are a young black guy and a 30ish male cop, Det. McNulty, seated side by side.

DM: So your boy's name was what?
YBG: Snot.
DM: Called the guy Snot?
YBG: Snot Boogie
DM: God. Snot Boogie. You like the name?
YBG: What?
DM: Snot Boogie.
YBG: quiet, looks on
DM: This kid, whose mama went to the trouble to christen him Omar Isaah Betts... You know, he forgets his jacket, his nose starts running and some *******, instead of giving him a Kleenex, he calls him "Snot". So he's Snot forever. Doesn't seem fair.
YBG: Life just be that way, I guess.

DM: So, who shot Snot?
YBG: I ain't goin' to no court.
pause, filled only by the barking of dogs, somewhere in the neighborhood
YBG: Mother ****er didn't have to put no cap in him though.
DM: Definitely not.
YBG: He coulda just whooped his *** like we always whoop his ***.
DM: I agree with you.
YBG: He killed Snot. Snot been doing the same **** since I don't know how long. You don't kill a man over some bull****.

YBG: I'm sayin': every Friday night in an alley behind the Cut Rate, we rollin' bones, you know? I mean all them boys, we roll til late.
DM: Alley crap game, right?
YBG: Like every time, Snot, he'd fade a few shooters, play it out til the pot's deep. Snatch and run.
DM: What, every time?
YBG: Couldn't help hisself.
DM: Let me understand. Every Friday night, you and your boys are shootin? crap, right? And every Friday night, your pal Snot Boogie... he'd wait til there's cash on the ground and he'd grab it and run away? You let him do that?
YBG: We'd catch him and beat his *** but ain't nobody ever go past that.

DM: I've gotta ask you: if every time Snot Boogie would grab the money and run away... why'd you even let him in the game?
YBG: What?
DM: Well, if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why'd you let him play?
YBG: Got to. It's America, man.

Discuss.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I don't get it. Too short for a TV show. Web series? Anywho, I don't get it.

Lets put a smile on that block
This show sounds fun. Is this the new series with Hank Azaria(sp!)?

This is a TV series that hit DVD a couple of months ago. I rented the first three ep's this weekend and have been impressed with the writing. The dialogue is a combination street talk and wonderful, delicious $10 words. It centers around a good cop whose integrity make him unpopular with a lot of people. Lots of great characters, very solid acting. Not many have seen it, but those few who have sing it's praises.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
This is a TV series that hit DVD a couple of months ago.
Thank the Lord! I thought this was a creative writing thread for a minute.*

*The thought of which makes me prone to sudden and random acts of violence.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
it sorta sounds like a spoof off of all those too many to count cop detective shows, which could be a good thing!

It's not a spoof, but I can totally see where you're getting that. The last line struck me as both funny and sort of sad, because the guy totally meant it when he said it. That was partly what I found interesting about the scene and the series. It's odd, being American but talking to people outside the country, you get a more objective look at how "America" is percieved. So a line like that reads right on the line between being what we really are like (inclusive) and what we're percieved like (sometimes stupid).... all of which adds up to brilliant writing, if you axe me.

...if you axe me.
OMD!!! You be a racist!!!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Obviously not...apparently you watch MTV Cribs.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Obviously not...apparently you watch MTV Cribs.
who doesn't?
(secretly?)

history *is* moralizing
double post double post double post...
but i have to congrat you for the intriguing thread, Sams'!
makes me wanna see it, but it'll probably come to the Olde World after the next war against Korea or Iran...........

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It's not a spoof, but I can totally see where you're getting that. The last line struck me as both funny and sort of sad, because the guy totally meant it when he said it. That was partly what I found interesting about the scene and the series. It's odd, being American but talking to people outside the country, you get a more objective look at how "America" is percieved. So a line like that reads right on the line between being what we really are like (inclusive) and what we're percieved like (sometimes stupid).... all of which adds up to brilliant writing, if you axe me.

ahh, gotcha. you're right, thats brilliant!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Well, I've heard nothing but praise for this show and when I saw that I could get the first 4 seasons for 60 bucks, I snatched them up.

Interesting that no one else has decided to talk about this show yet.

I've only seen the first seasons (About 8 episodes) and I really love it. It's a different take on cop shows if you ask me, non of this one crime solved in one hour crap the CSI or Law and Order does. I guess that's the difference between HBO and prime time.

I love how we get the views from both the criminals and the cops.

I didn't like Dominic West in The Forgotten, but here I dig him.

I'll come back and post my thoughts on the rest of the season when I finish it.

Suspect's Reviews

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've seen each season twice now (and could quite happily watch them many more times) and can safely say that The Wire is the best cop show I've ever seen.

You've picked up a bargain there - even online it'd cost me around £75 for a complete set and pricing of HBO dramas in terrestrial shops here is laughable. I saw season 6 of The Sopranos in HMV yesterday for 60 (yep, six - zero) quid!

If you're enjoying season 1 I'd say that you'll find 2 even more satisfying. When you get to season 4 you'll wonder why you ever need to watch another TV show again. It's that good.

Yeah, this has come highly recommended to me as well, saw the first episode. Quite a long watch but imagine once it gets going, it'll be well worth it.

Fantastic stuff. I admit, it took me a LONG ****ing time to get into this show, but man does it pay you back in the end. I've got a lot more to say on it later on.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Finished seasons 2 and 3. For me the 1st season is still the best. The second one was good, but took too long to get things moving. The last few episodes of the 3rd season were really intense, but I think it spent too much time on the hamsterdam stuff.

Looking forward to the next two.