The Texas abortion Bill

Tools    

All I have to say is it's disgusting. Also, The rhino virus has more social worth than Rick Perry, at least it didn't support vaginal probes and let children suffer without healthcare.

...uh the post is up there...

Yeah, I'd make a substantive argument, but I know from experience you won't really engage it meaningfully for more than a post or two, if that.

There's a clear pattern here, where you get really mad about something, post something highly inflammatory, essentially insult anyone who disagrees, leave for awhile, and then come back and do it all over again. You're just here to vent; not to have a serious conversation about this kind of stuff.

Not mad, really. I don't have to deal with him as governor, I just can't see what argument one could raise in defense of this.

I don't know what "this" means, because the bill has several components. But the two most prominent ones are a) requiring the same standards for abortion clinics as normal surgical clinics and b) restricting abortions past 20 weeks. Those are the things you can't fathom anyone arguing for?

I don't know what "this" means, because the bill has several components. But the two most prominent ones are a) requiring the same standards for abortion clinics as normal surgical clinics and b) restricting abortions past 20 weeks. Those are the things you can't fathom anyone arguing for?
The twenty weeks portion, seems arbitrary, yes. Also, like I said, the proposed vaginal probe from a while back was quite draconian and pointless. As for Perry's other misdeeds, cutting medicaid for thousands of children in Texas was pretty slimy as well. Then again, as a lefty, commie, I tend to want children to get health care.

Well, the initial statement was that you couldn't even imagine how someone could support such a thing, which is quite a bit more forceful than saying you find the line "arbitrary." And that also prompts the question: how many weeks would it have to be to seem less arbitrary?

Well, the initial statement was that you couldn't even imagine how someone could support such a thing, which is quite a bit more forceful than saying you find the line "arbitrary." And that also prompts the question: how many weeks would it have to be to seem less arbitrary?
I could see up to six/seven months or so, but even that I consider ridiculous. To me, as long as it's still in the womb, it's the person carrying the child that should have the say, after all they are burdened with the medical risks in either case.

Just a couple questions: would this bill prohibit abortions after 20 weeks even if the woman's life is at risk?

I heard this bill would bring the number of clinics down from 24 to 5 (or something of the sort), how so?

I could see up to six/seven months or so, but even that I consider ridiculous. To me, as long as it's still in the womb, it's the person carrying the child that should have the say, after all they are burdened with the medical risks in either case.
So you contend that a 9-month old fetus, which is biologically identical to a newborn infant and capable of surviving outside of the womb, is not a human being and has absolutely no rights, and only becomes one via a magic trip down the birth canal? Really?

So you intend to defend the position that a 9-month old fetus, which is biologically identical to a newborn infant and capable of surviving outside of the womb, has absolutely no rights, and is only granted them by that magic trip down the birth canal? Really?
Not accounting for life threatening complications, incest etc... Yes, as long as it's connected to the mother biologically and their burden medically. I could ask about the rights of children who are denied medical treatment and in some cases as a result, life. I guess that doesn't count though.

It's "connected to the mother biologically" in the sense that it has an umbilical cord, if that's what you mean. But by that logic, it has no rights even after it's delivered until the cord's cut. It simply isn't a tenable standard.

It's "connected to the mother biologically" in the sense that it has an umbilical cord, if that's what you mean. But by that logic, it has no rights even after it's delivered until the cord's cut. It simply isn't a tenable standard.
I would think we would agree that once it was out and not connected in any fashion that could potentially endanger the mother that there is only maternal rights left standing. I notice you didn't touch on my query regarding children dying without healthcare.

I would think we would agree that once it was out and not connected that there is only maternal rights left.
Okay, so what "biological connection" exists just before it exits the womb that denies it humanity?

I notice you didn't touch on my query regarding children dying without healthcare.
It didn't really feel like a question to me, but I didn't didn't answer it because it seems like an attempt to change the subject in the face of some difficult questions. But you chose abortion as the topic, so I'd like to get some answers on that first, place. Then I'd be more than happy to talk about health care, assuming you intend to make a more serious argument than "why do conservatives want sick kids to die?"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I find it disgusting that they threw the rule books out the door in order to stop Wendy Davis' filibuster. But I cheering from my bed, watched it live on youtube since CNN was covering blueberry muffins at the time, when the citizens cheered for the last 20 some odd minutes so they couldn't do the roll call.

Suspect's Reviews

What rule book was thrown out? I recall everyone assuming (and preemptively criticizing) Republicans for the idea that they would try to validate the vote a few minutes past the deadline, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

As always, though, it's the righteous "citizens" (nevermind that large majorities support restrictions past that point of pregnancy) when someone agrees, and an unruly mob of activists when they don't.

Okay, so what "biological connection" exists just before it exits the womb that denies it humanity?

It didn't really feel like a question to me, but I didn't didn't answer it because it seems like an attempt to change the subject in the face of some difficult questions. But you chose abortion as the topic, so I'd like to get some answers on that first, place. Then I'd be more than happy to talk about health care, assuming you intend to make a more serious argument than "why do conservatives want sick kids to die?"
How does it contradict what I said, if it's not connected at all, then there's zero potential medical risk to the mother. That's what I meant. Two, Rick Perry cut medicaid funding which many children rely on for medical treatment, the same guy who is preaching about how he considers life precious. Slice it any way you want, that puts kids in danger with life threatening conditions, so yea the "conservatives want sick kids to die," statement didn't come out of thin air. What denies a sperm cell, humanity? It's a potenetial human just the same.

How does it contradict what I said, if it's not connected at all, then there's zero potential medical risk to the mother. That's what I meant.
What you're suggesting would mean the humanity of the fetus has nothing to do with the fetus. That it can be human in one case, but the exact same fetus may not be human if the mother is, say, anemic. So you're saying that we can be more or less human depending on who our mothers are? What?

Two, Rick Perry cut medicaid funding which many children rely on for medical treatment, the same guy who is preaching about how he considers life precious. Slice it any way you want, that puts kids in danger with life threatening conditions, so yea the "conservatives want sick kids to die," statement didn't come out of thin air.
You'll need to be more specific. Are you referring to the issue in January about Planned Parenthood funding, or something else?

Regardless, I'll just preemptively point out that this conversation won't go anywhere unless you can accept the idea that conservatives actually, honestly disagree about what leads to better health care outcomes. I'm sure it's easier to think of us as just hating sick kids and cartoonishly twirling our mustaches, but it's just a tad more complicated than that.

What denies a sperm cell, humanity? It's a potenetial human just the same.
Um...life.

I'm still curious about my questions

Honestly though I have no problem banning abortion after 20 weeks unless the moms life is at significant risk. But what we must remember is that is what started the coat hanger epidemic. It wasn't originated to get an abortion, but just scrape the uterus to get a legal abortion, sadly the women didnt know the fragileness leading to their and the child's death.

What you're suggesting would mean the humanity of the fetus has nothing to do with the fetus. That it can be human in one case, but the exact same fetus may not be human if the mother is, say, anemic. So you're saying that we can be more or less human depending on who our mothers are? What?

You'll need to be more specific. Are you referring to the issue in January about Planned Parenthood funding, or something else?

Regardless, I'll just preemptively point out that this conversation won't go anywhere unless you can accept the idea that conservatives actually, honestly disagree about what leads to better health care outcomes. I'm sure it's easier to think of us as just hating sick kids and cartoonishly twirling our mustaches, but it's just a tad more complicated than that.

Um...life.
A sperm cell is alive. The argument of whether it's life or not, is not my point, as long as it is a biological entity, that is an extension of the mother's own body, it is her responsibility and decision. The general conservative stance these days is any public health care, be it medicad or medicare is abhorrent and a drain on tax payers. Still, I fail to see how cutting funding to medicaid creates better healthcare for those children.