Obama's Failures

Tools    

Semper Fooey
You're using "trend" wrong. In the context of these reports "trend" refers to the long-term demographic trend, IE: what would've happened anyway. Which means the Kansas City Fed is saying exactly the thing you were just calling "bogus": that the unemployment rate with a normal demographic trend would still have been 10.7% in 2010, and 10% in 2011.
It is bogus because it is not a real number, it is if this was happening...and it predates Obama. It started under Bush. He had higher unemployment also using the trend numbers. It was being cited by Romney and others as the real unemployment rate.

This has nothing to do with my own claim, nor the point we've been arguing all this time, but I'll reply anyway: when someone says such-and-such is the "real" rate, they're clearly saying that they think it's a better measure. Of course, there is no real rate. Not U3, not U6, not U579. They measure different things, all of which have relevance. There is no empirical way to decide which is the best measure at any one time.

You can bounce around and look at different things, but the stock market goes up and down when the monthly unemployment numbers are released, not the decrease in the active labor participation rate.

But this is neither here nor there. I'm not trying to defend whatever random pronouncement people have made about which measure to use. I'm simply saying that you can't use the unemployment rate by itself to assess the health of the labor market. We agree on this now, yes? Because I don't think we did before.

You can look at other things, I didn't say you couldn't. But you were citing a statistic as evidence of a conclusion that is greatly disputed so is very poor evidence.

Nope; the participation rate was steady under Bush. That's the whole point! Bush's drops in unemployment were the result of an actual increase in hiring, not a lot of people suddenly dropping out of the labor force.

That is not what I read. Not at all. I'll get a source later.

Again, the Kansas City Fed report says half; the Chicago Fed report says less. But either way, the original argument seems to have ended: it's established that we have an unprecedented drop in participation, that the unemployment rate has no way of accounting for it, and thus the unemployment rate is artificially lowered by it. This makes it an inadequate metric for dismissing criticisms about Obama's economic policies.

The Chicago Report's conclusions are the trend is half.

Where does it say that 2011 was half the number? It says that the mark below trend was 1.1% in 2011, but that's it. And 1.8% is a total over four years. You can't subtract 1.1 from 1.8 to get the real difference or anything.

The overall number over four years for the below trend was 1.8, but it was 1.1 in 20011. So it would seem it was much higher in the first year, the first year Obama was in office, and down to 1.1 in 2011. The actual below trend number in the final year is 1.1. What it was in the first half of 2007 can't be directly attributed to Obama's policies. If you really want to claim Obama is responsible for that reduction beyond demographic changes, then you have to examine the numbers each year. Were they steadily declining? You can't subtract the average for a difference, but if the last year is 1.1, it stands to reason if the unemployment rate keeps dropping, then the trend for 2011-2012 has to be much lower than 2007-2011. So the job picture is getting better and the 1.8 number is less important as a statistic because the last recorded stat for a year is almost half that.

And it seems beyond argument that the Chicago Fed agrees with Heritage, at least roughly. Heritage says controlling for demographics, a fifth of the drop from '07 to '11 would've happened anyway. The Chicago Fed says from '08 to '11, a fourth would've happened anyway. What's the issue, exactly? It's cherry-picking because, at first glance, you didn't realize that the mention of half was referring to a different time period?

The difference is emphasis. The Heritage report is drawing a conclusion from the numbers the Chicago report doesn't. He cherry picks to do that because the actual number from 2011 is 1.1, showing a definite and major downward trend. This negates the Heritage report's claims Obama's policies is harming the economy. No real cause and effect. If the much higher numbers occur early in his presidency and there is a huge drop in the later years, then there is steady measurable improvement. When does the biggest drop and increase occur year by year? It is not in the Chicago stats because that is not what they were focused on. Without that you can't even attempt to show a correlation between Obama's policies and the labor participation rate. The Heritage guy is taking a report with an entire different purpose and distort it for his own use.

I really can't figure out what any of this means. Please rephrase.
The discrepancy in the last year is 1.1.. The average for four years is 1.8. The trend is downward. What is the average in the last two years? Obviously, logic indicates it must be less than 1.1 since the unemployment rate has gone down.. And a percentage of that would be explained by demographic changes. So what are we arguing about, a half percentage point?

Semper Fooey
I understand it now.

1.1 means it dropped some more. But these estimates of what percentage is cyclical are all ocer the place. I found another report that says one-third is demographic.

As a Gary Man you wouldn't Romney. Are you a confivate like a some on the Repilicans? Most Reps you should be stoned to death....N sh*t!

It is bogus because it is not a real number
Then you're trying to have it both ways: the number is based on comparing actual results to what the demographic trend projections. The only part that isn't a "real number" is the demographic trend, which means you're calling the demographic trend bogus. So which is it? Are you citing it as evidence, or calling it bogus?

it is if this was happening...and it predates Obama. It started under Bush. He had higher unemployment also using the trend numbers.
No, he didn't. That's the whole point. You're confusing this with U6 or something. There was no significant LFPR drop under Bush, and hence there's no way to make the argument that his unemployment rate was artificially lowered by it.

You can bounce around and look at different things, but the stock market goes up and down when the monthly unemployment numbers are released, not the decrease in the active labor participation rate.
Really? When is that released? Is it in the same report? If not, have you been monitoring the market's movement on those other days?

You can look at other things, I didn't say you couldn't. But you were citing a statistic as evidence of a conclusion that is greatly disputed so is very poor evidence.
Again with the weird definition of "evidence." I'm not asking you for your overall judgment, though. I'm asking you if you now agree that a serious appraisal of the labor market necessitates we look at the size of the labor force, given the historic drop in participation recently? Given that you're now arguing about what part of the drop was and was not avoidable, it sounds like you do.

That is not what I read. Not at all. I'll get a source later.
I was literally looking at the LFPR data under Bush yesterday. Either what you read was false, or it was about something else.

The Chicago Report's conclusions are the trend is half.
Half since 1999-2000. A fourth since 2008. I keep saying this.

The overall number over four years for the below trend was 1.8, but it was 1.1 in 20011. So it would seem it was much higher in the first year, the first year Obama was in office, and down to 1.1 in 2011. The actual below trend number in the final year is 1.1. What it was in the first half of 2007 can't be directly attributed to Obama's policies. If you really want to claim Obama is responsible for that reduction beyond demographic changes, then you have to examine the numbers each year. Were they steadily declining? You can't subtract the average for a difference, but if the last year is 1.1, it stands to reason if the unemployment rate keeps dropping, then the trend for 2011-2012 has to be much lower than 2007-2011. So the job picture is getting better and the 1.8 number is less important as a statistic because the last recorded stat for a year is almost half that.
In case you're wondering, this is exactly when I became positive you didn't know what you were talking about.

1.1% is not the last number in a series of which 1.8% is the average. They're measuring completely different things. 1.8% is the drop in the participation rate since 2008. 1.1% is the difference between the rate and the demographic trend in 2011. They aren't part of the same series.

The difference is emphasis. The Heritage report is drawing a conclusion from the numbers the Chicago report doesn't. He cherry picks to do that because the actual number from 2011 is 1.1, showing a definite and major downward trend. This negates the Heritage report's claims Obama's policies is harming the economy. No real cause and effect. If the much higher numbers occur early in his presidency and there is a huge drop in the later years, then there is steady measurable improvement. When does the biggest drop and increase occur year by year? It is not in the Chicago stats because that is not what they were focused on. Without that you can't even attempt to show a correlation between Obama's policies and the labor participation rate. The Heritage guy is taking a report with an entire different purpose and distort it for his own use.
What I love about this paragraph is that, because you misread the report again, you literally just made the opposite case. You're saying that, because 1.1% is lower than 1.8%, that means things are "getting better," which apparently (I'll leave aside that little leap in logic) proves that Obama's policies are working. But as I pointed out above, the numbers aren't even measuring the same thing. What they actually say is that the gap is getting larger:
"As of late 2011, the actual LFPR for 16–79 year olds is 1.1 percentage points below trend LFPR, representing the largest deviation from the model’s prediction over the period that we study."
So all that stuff you just said about how the direction of the gap is apparently the best indicator? That's suddenly making the case that things are getting worse. Slow clap.

The discrepancy in the last year is 1.1.. The average for four years is 1.8. The trend is downward. What is the average in the last two years? Obviously, logic indicates it must be less than 1.1 since the unemployment rate has gone down.. And a percentage of that would be explained by demographic changes. So what are we arguing about, a half percentage point?
We're arguing about how you skim reports and draw hasty conclusions and then I have to spend half a dozen posts explaining the errors to you.

I understand it now.

1.1 means it dropped some more.
Nope. Try again.

But these estimates of what percentage is cyclical are all ocer the place. I found another report that says one-third is demographic.
Yes, they vary quite a bit. Maybe because they're measuring different things ("age distribution" vs. "demographics"), maybe because they use different models, maybe both. But whether it's a fifth, a fourth, a third, or a half, the point is the same: the participation rate has dropped a significant amount (perhaps even a very large amount) beyond what would normally be expected given demographic trends. And the unemployment rate doesn't account for that. This makes it clumsy to try to dismiss complaints about the job market by just pointing to the unemployment rate. QED.

As a Gary Man you wouldn't Romney. Are you a confivate like a some on the Repilicans? Most Reps you should be stoned to death....N sh*t!
will, I think this is easily as good as the genyav quote you've got now.

I would say his biggest failure was not immediately nationalizing oil production in the U.S., and other vital resources that shouldn't be handled by chaotic market shifts and outright price manipulation. Though, he in reality represents corporate interest, while esposing hollow liberal rhetoric from time to time, just another Capitalist puppet.

...uh the post is up there...

Care to explain this yet, will? Because I'm pretty sure the above shows that you completely misread the data and accidentally used it to argue the opposing side, then never admitted any of it.

Your credibility would improve dramatically if you could bring yourself to issue a simple "oops" when you bleep stuff up like this. More if you also stopped diving into complicated technical arguments about subjects you don't understand in the first place...but hey, one thing at a time.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

Can I have some of that popcorn? Because I think any attempt to explain this trainwreck is going to be highly entertaining.

Semper Fooey
Care to explain this yet, will? Because I'm pretty sure the above shows that you completely misread the data and accidentally used it to argue the opposing side, then never admitted any of it.

Your credibility would improve dramatically if you could bring yourself to issue a simple "oops" when you bleep stuff up like this. More if you also stopped diving into complicated technical arguments about subjects you don't understand in the first place...but hey, one thing at a time.
What exactly is the point or argument you want to make at this point with the economy improving?

It is amazing you want to restart a discussion this irrelevant

What exactly is the point or argument you want to make at this point with the economy improving?
That the labor market is still terrible and that you can't blame it on demographic trends. And that you had absolutely no freaking clue what you were talking about the entire time we discussed it.

It is amazing you want to restart a discussion this irrelevant
It's amazing you think you can bullsh*t your way through arguments like this and then pretend it never happened.

Semper Fooey
The economy is getting better. Polls show Americans think it is getting better.

We already had an election and the guy who kept insisting the economy was terrible and he could do better lost.

What exactly are you so hopped up about?

Obamas biggest failures imo

The too big to fail banks are bigger and more failier

Didnt push to end the Drug war, which would have had the win win effect of dramatically slashing government spending for budgets to no longer needed enforcement agencies, plus the insane revenue stream of a regulated tax model for canabis.

Didnt close gitmo, plus is knowingly Allowing innocent men to be locked up indefinetely because the optics somehow would be bad if he cut them loose.

The economy is getting better. Polls show Americans think it is getting better.
Cool. So I can show you polls about the IRS and Benghazi scandals and you'll suddenly care about those, right? Because there's no way you'd only cite polls when it suits you.

We already had an election and the guy who kept insisting the economy was terrible and he could do better lost.
And this explains your ignorance about economic statistics and propensity to talk about things you don't understand...how?

What exactly are you so hopped up about?
Already answered this: that the labor market is terrible, that you can't blame it on demographics, and that you were trying to bullsh*t your way through this argument (and countless others) and never owned up to it.

So what's your explanation? All I see so far is epic dodging.

Semper Fooey
Cool. So I can show you polls about the IRS and Benghazi scandals and you'll suddenly care about those, right? Because there's no way you'd only cite polls when it suits you.

The polls currently show the scandals have not affected the President's popularity.

If that changes and you cite the polls, I won't get upset. That is fine.

And this explains your ignorance about economic statistics and propensity to talk about things you don't understand...how?

It seems extremely pointless to re-argue something that was mostly relevant because the discussion was taking place during an election. With the economy improving, what on God's earth is the point on restarting the discussion after all these months, particularly when you want to start an argument suddenly on so many topics?

Already answered this: that the labor market is terrible, that you can't blame it on demographics, and that you were trying to bullsh*t your way through this argument (and countless others) and never owned up to it.

Look, the discussion ended a long time ago. Even televised debates have an end time.

So what's your explanation? All I see so far is epic dodging.
I said what I had to say in a land far ago when Republican tried to rule the world. You are free to carry on the discussion with yourself.