The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You forgot to acknowledge Raul for leading the pack in correctly predicted hints.
I want to acknowledge Raul for leading the pack in correctly predicted hints.

Forgot to mention that the gap in points between Spirited Away (#5) and Mulholland Drive (#4) was the second biggest at 64.

A system of cells interlinked
I will also recommend Triangle, even it it failed to make my list. The thing I like most about it is kind of a spoiler, so I will refrain from mentioning it...

I'm not convinced.
I want to gladly acknowledge the great and wise Raul for leading the pack in correctly predicted hints, by the sheer power of his wit and intelligence which reigns supreme above all of MoFo.

For you Open Range fans it did place well on the MoFo Top 100 Westerns List at number thirty-six.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, The Proposition, 3:10 to Yuma, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and There Will Be Blood were the other films from this decade that placed on that list. Three of which made this countdown.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't remember if I ever saw Open Range, but if I did, I don't remember it. I'm gonna have to check it out.

601 points, 39 lists
There Will Be Blood
Director

Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007

Starring

Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Kevin J. O'Connor, Ciarán Hinds

There Will Be Blood was my #1.

2007 was a great year for films. Back in the day, I would probably say Zodiac was my favorite from that year, with this one and No Country for Old Men close at #2 and #3. However, as I kept going back to this, I couldn't help but be amazed at how great it is; not only from a technical standpoint cause the craft in this is insanely good, but also at the moral complexities of its characters. There's something to be said about a film that presents two leads that are essentially despicable human beings, and yet you can't help but feel drawn to them. Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano were at the top of their game each. Now at 2022, although I still think No Country for Old Men and Zodiac are excellent, this is easily my favorite of the decade, and probably of the millennium so far.

And then there were two!...

Seen: 80/98

My ballot:  

P.T. Anderson’s There Will Be Blood was #5 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List, #60 on the MoFo Top 100 Refresh, and #14 on the MoFo Top 100 Westerns list.

Paul Thomas Anderson likes to make movies about s***ty people doing s***ty things to each other and There Will Be Blood is a prime example of that. The only PTA movie I like was not eligible for this countdown.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Paul Thomas Anderson likes to make movies about s***ty people doing s***ty things to each other and There Will Be Blood is a prime example of that. The only PTA movie I like was not eligible for this countdown.
Yeah, Phantom Thread is a goodie.

No surprise to see There Will Be Blood so high, it was never really in contention for a spot on my own ballot but I do find it a fairly compelling tale with a great performance from DDL.

Seen: 69/98 (Own: 48/98)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000) [11]
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) [15]
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003) [22]
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009) [18]
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004) [6]
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000) [12]
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) [21]
14. Children Of Men (2006) [17]
13. Amélie (2001) [16]
12. Zodiac (2007) [9]
11. WALL·E (2008) [13]
10. The Departed (2006) [19]
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004) [20]
7. Mulholland Drive (2001) [4]
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) [7]
5. There Will Be Blood (2007) [3]
4. The Dark Knight (2008) [10]
3. Spirited Away (2001) [5]
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003) [8]
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

The aunt Agatha-ing with the final Faildiction continues, and it's right down to the wire now........