The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A solid enough Hitch is Rebecca, would have been in the mix for my list had I formulated one.

Thanks for helping me find this post which was in the 13th Hof

The Great Dictator
(Charlie Chaplin, 1940)

I had been wanting to see this for a long time. It was worth the wait! I knew that Chaplin often took on social issues in the films he made, but I had no idea that this film was so potent....all while being very humorous.

The opening act, set in WWI was fun in a comical way. At that point I thought the movie would be just, fun prat falls, but then the film takes a serious turn after Hynkel a parody of Hitler played by Chaplin, rises to power as dictator of Tomania.

Chaplin the writer/director puts the viewer at ease with the simple WW1 scene. Then when we are off guard and expecting a fun little movie, Chaplin throws the seriousness of Nazism squarely in our faces!...And that is something that was needed in America in 1939, as it was all too common to turn a blind eye to what Hitler was doing in Europe at the time.

Hollywood itself at the time refused to make films that took a stand against the rising threat of fascism. In the years before WWII Louis B. Mayer head of MGM studios actually conferred with the Nazi Consulate, showing them films and agreeing to remove scenes that the Nazi's found objectionable, strange but true...that was done so MGM could sell the movie rights to Germany. I mention that to show what kind of personal courage Charlie Chaplin had to make The Great Dictator, a film he paid himself to have made, as no studio would finance him.

Amid the comic antics of Chaplin, we see the dismal fate of the German Jews who are being targeted by the Storm Troopers. Even more ominous than the action scenes are the 'quieter' speeches, that speak volumes of the real horrors to come:

I was chilled to the bone when Henry Daniell as Garbitsch (based on Joseph Goebbels) tells the Dictator...."We've just discovered
the most wonderful poison gas. It will kill everybody..."

I mean wow, talk about a prophetic script. The movie pulls no punches, it clearly lays out Hynkel/Hitlers evil plans:

We'll invade Osterlich(Austria) first.
After that we can bluff.
The nations will capitulate.
The world will be under your thumb

Chaplin tried to warn the world of the threat at hand, but America was complacent until after Pearl Harbor. Chaplin's effort alone makes this one of the most important movie I've seen, if not the most important movie.

What touched me most was the speech at the end of the film given by the Jewish Barber (also played by Chaplin), who's been mistaken for Hynkel the Dictator...As I looked at Chaplin's face and listened to the words he had wrote, I realized I wasn't watching a character in the movie anymore...I was hearing Charles Chaplin's own plead to the world to stop the madness and embrace humanity and kindness

Yeah! another one from my list... Rebecca was my number #11.

It might be my favorite Hitch film. I don't know for sure as I've only seen it once and like 10 years ago, but it has always staid with me. Joan Fontaine, Laurence Olivier and George Sanders are all so good in Rebecca.

I think it's in my Top 10, but I'm too lazy to look

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I probably should have put Rebecca on my list as its my fave Hitch of the '40s but it would have been near the end of my list. My computer died before I could send my list in, and I remembered Rebecca, but I didn't remember National Velvet which would have been somewhere around 15 on my list.
Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock, 1940)

This is Hitch's only film to win a Best Picture Oscar, but no, he didn't win best director (he never did). This is a David O. Selznick production, and it seems more like a Selznick film than a Hitchcock one. It's got terrific storytelling, wonderful acting and a sumptuous production. Hitchcock does imbue the film with mystery and suspense, but it seems to be more of a professional job and less of a personal undertaking to get at the audience, which, after all, is basically why Hitchcock films are so appealing. Even if Hitch seems a little bit hamstrung by being a team player here, the plot is so ingenious and the characters so interesting that it's definitely a must-see and probably the best film Hitch made during the 1940s (and yes, I realize many feel that film should be Notorious, but feel free to keep that opinion if it's yours ). I don't know if I want to spoil it too much, but basically wealthy widower Laurence Olivier meets and eventually marries a simple young woman (Joan Fontaine), and later he takes her to his enormous estate Manderley where the overwhelming presence of his dead wife Rebecca threatens to shatter their marriage. To make things even more frightful, Rebecca's devoted housekeeper (Judith Anderson) goes out of her way to tell the new wife that she can never compare in any way to Rebecca. The strength of the film is that things are never actually quite what they appear to be, almost right to the very end.
National Velvet (Clarence Brown, 1944)

To me, this is a perfect movie. It's a Wizard of Oz-type flick. It's the kind which a normal family would sit around the TV or the dinner table and watch, and they would fully understand what it means to be a family and whether or not they qualify as a loving one. However, even if it's a perfect movie, the family isn't exactly perfect. There are always going to be members who think they're more important than others or who think that newcomers (forgive me, but unless someone is proselytizing me, I consider them one of God's Angels. I'll admit that I never knew that so many of God's Angels were drunkards before... ), but I have to make choices on how to "support" those less-fortunate than I. I'm not sure how I got from National Velvet to this, but actually I do. Nowadays, everyone is suspect, a drunk for no good reason, etc, while back in the day, people just panhandled. Well, I know they still do, and my father and my father-in-law will NOT give them anything when they ask, but I always do, and my wife says that's one of the reasons she loves me.

The film contains so many people's dreams and how they relate to each other that it's a perfect example of a mainstream screenplay which should still appeal to those of you who have felt that you've left those all behind. The screenplay is mainstream but the direction (presentation) borders on subversive. For a film which desires a happy ending, it punctures every single cliche along the way to ensure there is no happy ending. Even so... National Velvet is a traditional piece of storytelling. It also tries to support the idea that things are not all black and white, so, of course, that makes me think even more highly of it. Before I shut down, I have to mention ALL the performances. They're incredible. Not just Mickey Rooney, Liz Taylor, Academy Award winner Anne Revere, Donald Crisp, Angela Lansbury, Jackie "Butch" Jenkins, etc., but straight through to the announcers of the Grand National. This is a true family film, if you still have one to watch it with.
Seen - 91/91
My List
1. Dumbo (35)
5. A Matter of Life and Death (34)
6. Heaven Can Wait (63)
7. The Red Shoes (38)
8. Pinocchio (23)
9. Fantasia (20)
10. The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
11. Red River (56)
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
14. The Little Foxes (43)
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
17. Meet Me in St. Louis (48)
18. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (31)
19. Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)
23. Miracle on 34th Street (53)
24. The Best Years of Our Lives (16)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
been some time since I saw Rebecca though do remember enjoying it visually and had a little trouble with the pacing. I'm sure that would be rectified with a secondary viewing.
Did not make the list.

Seen: 62/91

My List:
#1 Top 3
#2 Top 3
#3 Top 5

#4 Arsenic and Old Lace (18)
#5 Top 5-10
#6 The Big Sleep (22)
#7 Laura (12)
#8 Shocked to see it make it
#9 The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (33)
#10 High probability of still mankig it
#11 Could go either way

#12 Odd Man Out (55)
#13 The Great Dictator (11)
#14 Pinocchio (23)
#15 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#19 A new favorite, don't see it making it
#20 highly doubted it was gonna make the list

#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#23 This REALLY should make it - hopefully
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

Rebecca was my #20. I hadn't expected all of Hitchcock's films to place this highly on the countdown (compared to, say, his more well-known 50s films), but then again, he is a very popular director on these forums.

My list so far (with predictions):
1. Top 3 (title contender)
2. Late Spring (#25)
3. Top 5
4. Top 9
5. Top 3 (title contender)
6. The Great Dictator (#11)
7. Top 9
8. Meshes of the Afternoon (#69)
9. The Grapes of Wrath (#13)
10. The Big Sleep (#22)
11. Brief Encounter (#21)
12. Top 9
13. Won't make it
14. Stray Dog (#64)
15. Shadow of a Doubt (#17)
16. Top 9
17. White Heat (#42)
18. Won't make it
19. Cat People (#49)
20. Rebecca (#10)
21. Top 5
22. Gaslight (#41)
23. Won't make it
24. Gilda (#72)
25. Top 7

Rebecca is a great movie but it didn't make my list. I'm one of those people who prefer his 50's movies. Not to say the 40's films aren't great, just that the next decade of the films of Hitch are my preference. That said, I did include Notorious on this list.

#3 Arsenic and Old Lace
#6 Yankee Doodle Dandy
#8 Sergeant York
#9 The Pride of the Yankees
#10 The Shop Around the Corner
#11 The Best Years of Our Lives
#13 The Philadelphia Story
#14 Red River
#15 Notorious
#17 The Big Sleep
#19 Great Expectations
#21 His Girl Friday
#22 The Ox-Bow Incident
#23 Pinocchio

My list so far (I don't have many obscure 40's films on my list xD)

1. Brief Encounter (1945) (#21)
2. Will make it
3. The Shop Around the Corner (1940) (#19)
4. Laura (1944) (#12)
5. Will make it
6. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) (#16)
7. The Red Shoes (1948) (#38)
8. Notorious (1946) (#15)
9. Will make it
10. Mildred Pierce (1945) (#45)
11. Won't make it
12. Will make it
13. Fantasia (1940) (#20)
14. Will make it
15. Will make it
16. Won't make it
17. Portrait of Jennie (1948) (#62)
18. A Matter of Life and Death (1946) (#34)
19. Will make it
20. Out of the Past (1947) (#32)
21. Red River (1948) (#56)
22. Late Spring (1949) (#25)
23. Rebecca (1940) (#10)
24. Stray Dog (1949) (#64)
25. The Keys of the Kingdom (1944) (1 pointer)

Unregistered User
Rebecca was my no. 1 pick and at present, is my favourite Hitch film. My last viewing of it was actually in an old castle, which was an amazing experience.

Top Nine Guess (Someone needs to finally beat SC):

01. Casablanca
02. Citizen Kane
03. It's A Wonderful Life
04. Double Indemnity
05. The Third Man
06. Rope
07. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
08. The Maltese Falcon
09. Bicycle Thieves

Yup, I had all three of these. Chaplin's The Great Dictator was fifteenth on my list, Preminger's moody Noir with a twist Laura was my seventeenth pick, and Hitch's lush and weird Rebecca I had at twenty-two.

MY LIST
2. His Girl Friday (#14)
4. Out of the Past (#32)
5. The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
7. Shadow of a Doubt (#17)
8. Stray Dog (#64)
9. Gaslight (#41)
10. Notorious (#15)
14. Odd Man Out (#55)
15. The Great Dictator (#11)
16. The Philadelphia Story (#37)
17. Laura (#12)
20. Rome, Open City (#74)
22. Rebecca (#10)
23. Kind Hearts & Coronets (#26)
25. Black Narcissus (#79)

Oh, and nuthin' for nuthin', but David Raskin's theme to Laura is my favorite piece of music ever composed for a film. Charlie Parker's rendition from his strings album may be my favorite version.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Top nine guess
9. Sierra Madre
8. Bicycle Thieves
7. Rope
6. Maltese Falcon
5. Third Man
4. Wonderful Life
3. Indemnity
2. Casablanca
1. Kane

01. Citizen Kane