Dissapointment in the Star Wars DVD's

Tools    

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Ok, yes, we all know we're going to buy them. I already did. There were two things that I'm mad at about these DVD's:

1. Where are the deleted scenes? (I hate Lucas for never releasing any of these for the originals. Can you find them somewhere on the Internet???)

2. They're the dumb "Special Edition" re-make ones. Lucas says that he'll never release the "original" trilogy because it wasn't what he intended them to look like. There's been an online petition going around, but I doubt if it'll ever get any reconition.

All in all, this pisses me off. Being the avid Star Wars fan that I am, I would like to see some of those deleted scenes (especially the one from "A New Hope" when Luke sees the battle in the beginning) on the DVD's. But no! They're not there!

Man, why does Lucas always have to do crap his way?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I dunno...maybe because he is the one with the millions of dollars so he gets to choose what goes in there? I support him in his decision to release whatever the hell he wants without caring what the fans want. But yes, he should release the deleted scenes etc.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Ok, yes, we all know we're going to buy them. I already did. There were two things that I'm mad at about these DVD's:

1. Where are the deleted scenes? (I hate Lucas for never releasing any of these for the originals. Can you find them somewhere on the Internet???)

2. They're the dumb "Special Edition" re-make ones. Lucas says that he'll never release the "original" trilogy because it wasn't what he intended them to look like. There's been an online petition going around, but I doubt if it'll ever get any reconition.

All in all, this pisses me off. Being the avid Star Wars fan that I am, I would like to see some of those deleted scenes (especially the one from "A New Hope" when Luke sees the battle in the beginning) on the DVD's. But no! They're not there!

Tell ya what, sue Lucas for rights over Star Wars and make us all happy. I agree with you and I read in a magizine that Lucas didn't think the deleted scenes were that good and weren't needed. I wanted to see the scene where Han talks to the hairy Jabba. All in all, I don't think we're going to get those scenes or the original versions are DVD until someone......I mean something.........brings an end to that old fart's life. At this very moment, I envy Holden and his orignal verison of Star Wars on Laserdisc.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087

You're the moron who just supported him and his decisions by adding to his treasure pile.

Sucker.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
You're the moron who just supported him and his decisions by adding to his treasure pile.

Sucker.
I also did it but, it's a lot cheaper then Laserdisc. I'm going to find somewhere around town to get the original version converted from VHS to DVD.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by John McClane
I wanted to see the scene where Han talks to the hairy Jabba.
I seem to remember it's just a bloke in a hairy waistcoat-style-affair (if you mean the scene added to the first update of Episode IV with the strangely-small CGI Jabba plastered on top). It's not that impressive. If the other stuff is like that, they'd only be worth seeing for novelty value. Lupine Lucus probably left em out for a reason.

Originally Posted by Golgot
I seem to remember it's just a bloke in a hairy waistcoat-style-affair (if you mean the scene added to the first update of Episode IV with the strangely-small CGI Jabba plastered on top). It's not that impressive. If the other stuff is like that, they'd only be worth seeing for novelty value. Lupine Lucus probably left em out for a reason.
I still wanted to see it.

Originally Posted by John McClane
I also did it but, it's a lot cheaper then Laserdisc. I'm going to find somewhere around town to get the original version converted from VHS to DVD.

Just PM or IM me John.

A system of cells interlinked
SO not dissappointed with the discs

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I dunno, I could whine and cry about OH, NO lucas ruined the movies....but he really didn't. I still like them as much as I did when I first saw them, I think they are basically the same damn flicks, and I mean, when the alternative is NOT having Star Wars on DVD, having them on DVD in whatever form Lucas wants to release them wins hands down. I'm enjoying the heck out of them as we speak.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

There are those who call me...Tim.
I'm actually quite happy with the film discs (apart from the commentries. See below), it's just the fourth dics that's a disappointment. The 2 and a half hour documentary is impressive, and learning how the lightsabre came to be was interesting, but sadly there's very little else worth mentioning.
And again, where are the deleted scenes? Where are the bloopers? And surely it couldn't have been that hard to get everyone together at once for the commentaries. I admit, they were edited together nicely, but it could've been so much better if there'd been that group banter that makes other commentaries so enjoyable to listen to. They didn't even need to get everyone together at once. One with Lucas and Kershner (for Empire of course, and Richard Marquand for Jedi), another with the sound and effects guys, and lastly one with cast members would have been ideal.
£40 is a lot of money when you consider that the LOTR EE boxsets each had more content (well, I'm pretty sure my Two Towers boxset had more content anyway) and were £10 cheaper.
So anyway, if you haven't bought this yet, I suggest you wait a while for the inevitable re-release in a couple of years, and if that one isn't much better, you could always get this one for cheap.

On a slightly different note, can laserdisc's be played on DVD players, or do you need a different machine for them? And what benefits do they have over VHS?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
On a slightly different note, can laserdisc's be played on DVD players, or do you need a different machine for them? And what benefits do they have over VHS?
Not unless your DVD player holds discs the size of records. :\

i was must about to buy the trilogy...

...but no more. Thanks fot the advice. I'm a starwars fan myself

The People's Republic of Clogher
I bought them today and have watched them with mixed feelings. Empire's the best (still) primarily because they don't seem to have added much and all the movies look sumptuous - Cloud City especially.

Same old complaints that everyone else seems to have, but lets not get too precious, eh? I've still got my VHS boxset when I fancy a bit of grain.

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
£40 is a lot of money when you consider that the LOTR EE boxsets each had more content (well, I'm pretty sure my Two Towers boxset had more content anyway) and were £10 cheaper.
£40? I bought mine for £30 brand new, and don't the LOTR EEs usually cost £40 when they're first released?

Originally Posted by Parky
£40? I bought mine for £30 brand new, and don't the LOTR EEs usually cost £40 when they're first released?
£28.99 here - and that was for the gold sleeve limited edition. 3 movies and half a good extras disc (the other half being a promo for video games, it seems.) means it's only a fiver more than the Mariachi boxed set (though I got that one for £9.99 'cos they priced it up wrong) for example.

Originally Posted by Parky
The RRP of the LOTR EE as been increased with each installment, the original i believe was RRP at £30 and you get it at £25 or a bit less, TTT was RRP £35 and sold for £30 and now ROTK RRP is like £40 so hopefully it will be on sale around £35. Saying this, they do get significantly better each time, or so im told (i havnt touched the 3rd or 4th discs ) so ROTK should rock.
I got my Star Wars for £28 brand new, and i coulda got chepaer still if i wanted.
Dont you think the HMV gold sleeve is quite bad compared to normal silver as well?

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
The RRP of the LOTR EE as been increased with each installment, the original i believe was RRP at £30 and you get it at £25 or a bit less, TTT was RRP £35 and sold for £30 and now ROTK RRP is like £40 so hopefully it will be on sale around £35. Saying this, they do get significantly better each time, or so im told (i havnt touched the 3rd or 4th discs ) so ROTK should rock.
I got my Star Wars for £28 brand new, and i coulda got chepaer still if i wanted.
Dont you think the HMV gold sleeve is quite bad compared to normal silver as well?
I'll probably shell out for ROTK 'cos I'm a sad completist with more money than sense, though I found the film to be the least satisfying of the trilogy - maybe it was overkill by that stage, I dunno.

Didn't find the gold sleeve any worse than the silver one myself and they were both the same price so I took the Ltd edition.