Tolstoys top10s and movie reviews.

→ in
Tools    

Ive always been interested in writing up some movie reviews and top 10 lists, so I guess I will start now.

Movies will be rated using a x/10 scale.

Mostly classics will be reviewed.

Criticism/discussion is always appreciated.

Top 10 movie scenes of all time:

10) Sunset Blvd - In the memorable conclusion of her grand entrance, Norma Desmond descends the marble staircase believing she is playing Salome in the most important scene of her career. At the bottom of the stairs in a closeup (exhibiting her arched eyebrows, glaring eyes, and oddly-twisted, insane-looking facial expression), she has become so overjoyed and moved that she has to pause and have a word for the crew - and for her audience: All Right Mr. DeMille, I'm Ready for My Closeup

9) Dr. Strangelove - When the bomb doors open, Kong first grabs onto his Stetson to avoid losing it in the sudden draft of air. The Hi There! bomb is dislodged, with Kong riding on it - the huge bomb between his legs. The bombardier asks: "Hey, what about Major Kong?" Kong is flailing the bomb with his hat like a rodeo cowboy atop a bucking bronco, howling wildly toward oblivion: "YAHOO!! YAHOO!!" as it malevolently descends toward its target and detonates in a white, climactic flash on the ground.

8) Ten Commandments: As the Hebrews reach the Red Sea, the Pharaoh has decided to pursue them. One of the most miraculous visual effects scenes in film history is the parting of the Red Sea, prefaced by Moses' statement: "The Lord of Hosts will do battle for us. Behold his mighty hand." An old man comments: "God opens the sea with a blast of His nostrils!"

7) Wizard of Oz - Dorothy clicks her heels together three times and repeats the magic phrase that takes her home: "There's no place like home...There's no place like home..." A spiral spins downward onto Dorothy, and the tornado-swept farm-house spins and falls back down to the ground. She is transferred back to the sepia-toned, real world of her drab Kansas farm home.

6) Scarface - With gangsters invading his mansion, Al Pacino buries his head in a mountain of coc, then proceeds to show the enemies his little friend.

5) Casablanca - As Ilsa and Victor walk across the runway to board the plane for Lisbon, a tear sparkles in Ilsa's eye - she is numb as she accompanies her husband back into their unfulfilling relationship (in a romantic sense) - and Victor notices her expression. Rick is left standing alone on the edge of the runway. Yet Rick still holds a gun in his pocket - until the plane leaves:

4) Godfather: As Fredo, Neri, and Anthony get into a small motorboat to go fishing, Connie calls for Anthony, telling him that Michael wants to take his son to Reno. Hearing that Anthony can't go, Fredo mutters: "Oh, s--t!" As Michael stands inside the boathouse looking through the outer glass windows, and leaves blow across the compound, Fredo and Neri fish together in a boat on the lake - the sky is filled with dark clouds. In a long shot (from Michael's perspective), Fredo's life is snuffed out by Neri as he fishes and recites a Hail Mary. Michael hears the muffled shot and lowers his head - Neri stands up in the boat.

3) Ben-Hur: The chariot race - The chariot race sequence in the Roman Circus is one of the most thrilling and famous in film history - except for two of the most spectacular stunts, both Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd did all their own chariot driving in the carefully-choreographed sequence.

2) Psycho: Shower scene - In one of the most chilling and horrific scenes in movie history.... Oops, did I say one of? This is film-making at its best, plain and simple.

1) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - During an epic battle Luke Skywalker learns a bit about his family tree, that his father is none other than his enemy -- Darth Vader. No other scene is as copied or as famous, and no other 5 words in movie history are as recited as "Luke, I am your father" which is why it gets my #1 position.

Fight Club (1999)
Director: David Fincher
Cast: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter
Rating: 6/10

Brief review

Ever since the day I watched Fight Club, I have had a continuing love-hate relationship with the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it when it came out, and it was one of my favorite movies of the year. Then the inevitable cult status had to take effect. On IMDB's top 250 films of all time list, it is sitting comfotorably at #43 with an 8.5 rating, above such films as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Chinatown, and On The Waterfront. While it is easy to chalk this up to the younger generations not yet experiencing the classics, I tend to believe it speaks more to the general state of affairs our society is in. My appreciation for the movie doesn't stem from the flashy gimmicks which are so prevalent throughout the movie, but in the philosophical undertones the movie attempts to portray, but fails to do so by getting sucked into a 120 minute pious extravaganza.

The film was clearly an homage to Nietzsche, and throughout the commentary you will hear the actors talking about the parallels between the movie and Nietzsche's philosophy. During the late 1800s Nietzsche predicted that the newly formed middle class would get bored with prosperity, and there would be a backlash against this consumerist society. Man grows through success and failures, and living the bourgeoise life offers very little of either. So, what happens when a bunch of middle aged men no longer want to collect glass figurines? They blow it to hell. I would like to say the film attempts to go deeper than that very shallow attempt at Nihilism, but unfortunately it lacks in all areas except for telling us how pathetic we are. There are other attempts to tie in philosophy but they don't fare any better. In an ill-fated attempt to bring Nietzsche's well-known sexism into the forefront, it cops out and gives the woman more self-destructing behavior than the main character. It definitely doesn't give any credence to Nietzsche's quote "Many men try to fathom the depths of woman, Why? They aren't even shallow." In the book, at the end of Fight Club, the narrator goes into a mental institution, this is what happened to Nietzche as well towards the tail end of his life, and in my opinion, would have been a far better ending than the one in the movie.

Now for the Marxism. A good way to compare the story is to Animal farm, or the Russian Revolution, Tyler Durden takes the role of the Stalin Figure, the one who is more hands on and a bit more violent as well as deceptive. The narrator takes the role of a Lenin character. Towards the end of Tyler and the Narrator's partnership, as with Stalin and Lenin, Stalin starts to push Lenin out of the picture. The two like in history also staged to take over Capitalism and create a new Utopian society free of consumerism and greed. Of course as with history the antagonist's personal ambitions overwhelmed the goals that were originally set forth.

While I was disappointed with the shallowness of the philosophy throughout the movie, I respect Fincher for taking a chance and making this movie. I am hoping to see Fincher make another movie based off of Chuck Palahniuk's works, namely Survivor or Choke.

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting all the info. I enjoyed the review of Fight Club, especially the tidbits about Nieztsche.

Welcome to MoFo.

all your reviews are great and well written..

as for the top ten movie scenes, i agree withmost of them..one in particular stands out

while i think the special effects are marvelous in the ten commandments, i prefer the animated parting of the red sea in the prince of egypt...

thanks for posting them..

It's nice to see somebody comment on this film for it's meandering philosophizing of today’s societal degradation than just saying, "I loved it when Norton kicked his own ass!"

Great review. I really hope you give us dozens more.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Director: John Frankenheimer
Cast: Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Janet Leigh
Rating: 9/10

I went into "The Manchurian Candidate" without knowing too much about the movie itself. I knew about its critical acclaim, but I was unfamiliar with the plot. Regardless, when I rented and watched the film, I had high expectations. I was not disappointed either.

The plot revolves around the strange case of Raymond Shaw, a sergeant who wins the Congressional Medal of Honor for his bravery in the cold war. Two of the men in his company, however, have strange nightmares that suggest Raymond is not as deserving of the award as he seems. One of these men, Major Bennet Marco, led on by these recurring nightmares, unravels a sinister Communist plot. Set against the cold war paranoia of the sixties and McCarthyism, "The Manchurian Candidate" does an excellent job of recreating the intense suspense and tension of the time.

The film suffers from two very hard to escape realities for the modern era, and which perhaps is hasn't achieve the same notoriety as flims such as Clockwork Orange and The Wild Bunch.

A) Frank Sinatra is in it, and while Frank Sinatra is one of the icons of our time, it is mostly out of wholesome good old music which the old people enjoy.

B) The film was unlike anything anyone has ever seen. It has some of the most disturbing scenes and is definitely not pop culture.

The film was doomed from the beginning. It was like Britney Spears starring as Nurse Ratched, and doing just as well of a job as Louise Fletcher. The hardcore fans would wonder what the f*** it meant, and the critics would say Britney Spears sucks.

The acting in this film is superb. A great script is heightened by excellent acting in this movie. It's hard not to like Frank Sinatra in his role as Marco, who is the protagonist. Laurence Harvey as Raymond does a good job showing us a character that is wholly unlikable and snobby, yet pathetic and sad at the same time. And of course, Angela Lansbury in her role as Raymond's malicious and plotting mother is excellent.

Some stand-out scenes in the film were the nightmare sequences that brilliantly interlaced dream and reality, the all-queen solitaire game with Marco and Raymond, and the supremely tense climax at the political convention. The cinematography in the movie was very well done as action, romance, and tension all mixed together smoothly. All the scenes managed to keep my attention and kept me wondering what was going to happen next. As a thriller, the film works remarkably well, and it is quite easily the best political thriller I've seen to date.

Keeping me from giving the movie a perfect ten are one or two little nagging problems. I wasn't a big fan of the music for the movie, and it even disrupted the mood for me at one point in the film. It was okay, just not great. Also, the whole plot is sort of unlikely. I wont go into it here, but I don't think that the Communist plan for world domination would fall into the hands of one relatively uncontrolled person, no matter how well trained his mind was. That's just my opinion, however.

The movie is sort of long, and isn't exactly action packed, but it is very interesting, insightful, and even chilling. I had a great time watching it, and I definitely recommend it if you are interested at all in seeing a gripping Cold War era political thriller. Besides, the cultural relevance of the film alone is enough to see it.

If you have never seen the film, I beg you to go and rent it right now. Have very low expectations for the film, and come in with the idea that Sinatra sucks. Come in with visions of Murder She Wrote in your head. It will make you love it all the much more, and I will never ask you for anything ever again -- Just go and see this film with very low expectations, and then leave it wondering why they don't make movies like this anymore.

Arghh....I was writing one for this tonight! (what a coincidence!)

It's a good review, but...

1. Shaw earned his medal in the Korean War not the Cold War
2. Sinatra doesn't suck

Other than that...

Ya it was the Korean war, but it dealt with Cold War movement... THat was a slip of tongue, but it is still kind of correct, since it did deal with cold war "wars"

And I completely agree with you. Sinatra rules.

BTW -- this was a review from a fairly long time ago that I had written for another site, I didnt just watch the film, it has been a favorite of mine for quite a while.

And LordSlaytan -- I really enjoy your reviews, and I would be interested in seeing your review for Manchurian Candidate, I cant wait until you post it. I was disappointed to not see it in your top 100 though Unless I missed it in there

Part 1 of my DVD collection. I will edit this post with quick reviews for each of the movies, or just quick number ratings.

Note: Some movies were acquired during failed relationships

Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page
Indiana Jones Bonus Material Laurent Bouzereau
Reservoir Dogs Quentin Tarantino
Gone With The Wind Victor Fleming
The Maltese Falcon John Huston
North by Northwest Alfred Hitchcock
An American in Paris Vincente Minnelli
Singin' in the Rain Stanley Donen
Casablanca Michael Curtiz
The Adventures of Robin Hood Michael Curtiz
Treasure of the Sierra Madre John Huston
Prom Night Paul Lynch
The Silence of the Lambs Jonathan Demme
Gone In 60 Seconds Dominic Sena
The Man Who Knew Too Much Alfred Hitchcock
Ben-Hur William Wyler
Fight Club David Fincher
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid George Roy Hill
X-Men Bryan Singer
Quills Philip Kaufman
Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace George Lucas
Moulin Rouge Baz Luhrmann
Edward Scissorhands Tim Burton
Shallow Hal Bobby Farrelly
Family Guy: Volume One - Seasons 1 & 2 Neil Affleck
Family Guy: Volume Two - Season 3 Neil Affleck
X-Men Collection Bryan Singer
Vertigo Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho Alfred Hitchcock
Billy Madison Tamra Davis
American Psycho Mary Harron
8 Mile Curtis Hanson
Red Dragon Brett Ratner
Gosford Park Robert Altman
A Beautiful Mind Ron Howard
The Pianist Roman Polanski
Scarface Brian De Palma
Doctor Zhivago David Lean
The Lion in Winter Anthony Harvey
Rocky John G. Avildsen
Hannibal Ridley Scott
The Usual Suspects Bryan Singer
Bandits Barry Levinson
West Side Story Robert Wise
The Manchurian Candidate Nicholas Meyer
The Basketball Diaries Scott Kalvert
House of 1,000 Corpses Rob Zombie
Vanilla Sky Cameron Crowe
Insomnia Erik Skjoldbjærg
Punch-Drunk Love Paul Thomas Anderson
Taxi Driver Martin Scorsese
Dogma Kevin Smith
Lawrence of Arabia David Lean
Snatch Guy Ritchie
Legends of the Fall Edward Zwick
Nine Inch Nails: And All That Could Have Been Rob Sheridan
The Others Travis Fine
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Steven Spielberg
The Shawshank Redemption Frank Darabont
Citizen Kane Orson Welles
House on Haunted Hill William Castle
Shadow of the Vampire E. Elias Merhige
Blade Runner Ridley Scott
Dirty Harry Don Siegel
Ocean's Eleven Steven Soderbergh
Magnolia Paul Thomas Anderson
Se7en David Fincher
Gangs of New York Martin Scorsese
American Beauty Sam Mendes
Almost Famous: Untitled - The Bootleg Cut Cameron Crowe
The Ring Gore Verbinski
Lost Highway David Lynch
Pearl Jam: Single Video Theory Mark Pellington
Pearl Jam: Touring Band 2000
Pearl Jam: Live at the Garden Steve Gordon
Road to Perdition Sam Mendes
Blade 2 Guillermo Del Toro
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same Peter Clifton
The Killing Fields Roland Joffe
Goodfellas Martin Scorsese
Singles Cameron Crowe
Interview With the Vampire Neil Jordan
Just Cause Arne Glimcher
The Wild Bunch Sam Peckinpah
Rebel Without a Cause Nicholas Ray
Three Kings David O. Russell
Once Upon a Time in America Sergio Leone
Training Day Antoine Fuqua
The Majestic Frank Darabont
Giant George Stevens
Unforgiven Clint Eastwood
Kubrick Collection (Remastered) Stanley Kubrick
My Fair Lady George Cukor
Yankee Doodle Dandy Michael Curtiz
A Streetcar Named Desire Elia Kazan
Amadeus Milos Forman
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest Milos Forman
South Park: The Complete First Season Trey Parker
South Park: The Complete Second Season Trey Parker
Insomnia Christopher Nolan
Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones George Lucas
The Sixth Sense M. Night Shyamalan
Pulp Fiction Quentin Tarantino
The Royal Tenenbaums Wes Anderson
The Osbournes: The First Season - Uncensored Brendon Carter
Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl Gore Verbinski
The Osbournes: The Second Season Katherine Brooks
Night of the Living Dead
Blade Stephen Norrington
American History X Tony Kaye
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Peter Jackson
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Peter Jackson
The Thirty-Nine Steps Alfred Hitchcock
House on Haunted Hill
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Steven Spielberg
The Hours Stephen Daldry
Chinatown Roman Polanski
Forrest Gump Robert Zemeckis
The Godfather Collection Francis Ford Coppola
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Steven Spielberg
Save The Last Dance Thomas Carter
South Park: The Complete Third Season Trey Parker

Excellent collection, our tastes appear quite similar. Lately I have been ingesting a significant amount of film noir, and I see you have a few titles listed. Check out these films as well, which are a couple of my favorite noirs.

Kiss me Deadly
Touch of Evil
Sunset Boulevard

If you like older films, I would scope out Mark's site as well (follow the link in Slay's sig), as the site is well done, and there is a plethora of interesting info on older film. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post some reviews and lists. Hope you stick around.

I also see you have a couple of Singer films listed, have you seen The Usual Suspects? I consider it one of the best, if not the best neo-noirs, and it's one of my favorite films.

_S

btw, here is my collection, if you want to take a peek.

Sedai's DVDs

Originally Posted by Sedai
Excellent collection, our tastes appear quite similar. Lately I have been ingesting a significant amount of film noir, and I see you have a few titles listed. Check out these films as well, which are a couple of my favorite noirs.

Kiss me Deadly
Touch of Evil
Sunset Boulevard

If you like older films, I would scope out Mark's site as well (follow the link in Slay's sig), as the site is well done, and there is a plethora of interesting info on older film. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post some reviews and lists. Hope you stick around.

I also see you have a couple of Singer films listed, have you seen The Usual Suspects? I consider it one of the best, if not the best neo-noirs, and it's one of my favorite films.

_S

btw, here is my collection, if you want to take a peek.

Sedai's DVDs
I own Usual Suspects, Sunset Blvd (definitely one of the best movies ever, and the staircase scene made my top 10 scenes of all time) and Kiss Me Deadly. I got a bit bored of putting all the movies down so I am breaking it up into two parts, this is about half the movies I own.

I did enjoy The Usual Suspects, and I agree with you that it is probably the best neo-noir film, and Kevin Spacey gives one of the more memorable modern roles, which perhaps gives me an idea for a new top 10 list.

Great reviews.

That's also quite a collection you've got.

Giant (1956)
Director
George Stevens

Cast
Leslie Lynnton Benedict - Elizabeth Taylor
Jordan 'Bick' Benedict - Rock Hudson
Jett Rink - James Dean

Awards
AFI Top 100 - #82
Won best director for George Stevens
Nominated for 9 other oscars, including: Best Actor (Rock Hudson), Best Actor (posthumous selection for James Dean), Best Supporting Actress (Mercedes McCambridge), Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Picture.

Review
Since I hadn't yet seen this classic film, I bought the DVD and invited some friends over to watch it with me. The film's scope was not only bigger and broader than we thought it would be, but it was also more genuine and thoughtful. We were astonished! It is clearly one of the best American films of the 1950s.

The film begins in Maryland when Bick (Rock Husdon) visits a wealthy family that owns a horse he is planning to buy. When he returns to Texas, he not only has the family's horse, but also their beautiful, bright, out-spoken daughter, Leslie (Elizabeth Taylor). The flat, barren Texas landscape is a shocking contrast from the rolling green hills of Leslie's Maryland home, but she settles in and they begin to face the changes that the next thirty years will bring to their family, friends, land and each other.

I loved how this film would seem to be leading you down a familiar path, then suddenly turn in unexpected directions--even in small ways. For example, Bick's stern sister, Luz (perfectly played by the underrated Mercedes McCambridge), is set up to be an antagonist throughout the film, but because of her lack of adaptability, she self-destructs early on. It also seems clear that Leslie will fall into the idealistic and compassionate arms of the introspective Jett (James Dean) when she realizes that her husband is both sexist and racist. Here, too, the story takes an unexpected turn as both Jett and Bick change in ways that seem natural and rich with human complexity. This sort of character development is uncommon in works of fiction where so often people go from point A to point B like cardboard cutouts.

The issues of feminism and racism are major issues in `Giant' and are dealt with seriously, rather than only lightly touched on as in so many other `modern' American films of the 1950s. Not only does Bick learn from his young wife that he should treat his Mexican ranch hands with human dignity (this is only as far as most American ‘50s films would go), but his son marries a Mexican girl, providing Bick with a half-Mexican heir. Bick, being a realistic, multi-layered character, is still troubled by this at the film's end, but he has certainly come a long way. He (and the audience) has had to consider what role race and skin-color will play when choosing people with whom to have close relationships and how far he will go to defend those he loves, whatever their nationality. Bick's `showdown' against racial injustice in Sarge's Café perfectly illustrates his transformation and does, indeed, make him a hero. It is a beautiful and moving scene.

Feminism, too, presents itself as a major theme in the film without being overstated. When Leslie first arrives in Texas, she is outspoken and headstrong, insisting on helping on the ranch as an equal. She faints in public at the sight of cooked cow brains, but quickly recovers and vows never to faint again, no matter what life on the ranch might bring – and she doesn't. Her scolding of the local men for their backward attitudes towards women seems neither hysterical nor delicate even by today's standards. It's spot on. She later apologizes to Bick for having been rude, yet she doesn't back down, insisting that, in principle, she was right.

It was a genuine pleasure to watch an American film (from ANY era) that doesn't undermine its characters' integrity and that gives great actors roles in which they could really shine. I highly recommend `Giant' to anyone looking for intelligent classic American cinema that explores issues of the era while remaining surprisingly relevant to these same issues today.

Rating: 9/10

When I was growing up, going to elementary school etc. in the 1970s, every few months my grandmother and I would watch Giant, and The Railway Children. It became a ritual for us, and hence, Giant has always been a film I try to catch when I see it on. My gram and I both loved the scene with the turkey, whose name I can't seem to recall (Bud maybe).

Lets put a smile on that block
Excellant Collection there Tolstoy, i am quite envious, it is a collection i hope my meega 150 dvds can one day aspire to. Great Reviews to!

Oh and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!