Requiem for a Dream

→ in
Tools    

I wanted to start a thread on this 2000 movie that follows the life of 4 Coney Island drug addicts. I just saw this movie for the first time a month ago on the Independant Film Channel, I found it to be very moving yet disturbing in many aspects. Even though it was given an NC-17 rating, (and edited rated-R version was made but the MPAA surrendered it to my knowledge) I believe schools should show it to 9th graders to keep them from taking drugs. We all went through DARE, which had to be the most pointless class in the world. I believe schools could using something as moving as this to get the point across. Anyways, has anyone actually seen this great movie besides me? What were your opinions on it?
-Jude Law, "Enemy at the Gates"
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Here's a thread that might interest you.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I have seen this film about 10-20 times and yes, the movie is very disturbing and thought provoking. But I did wanted to ask the people who seen this movie about the "BE EXCITED, BE BE EXCITED" parts

on that show they had three rules
no red meat was the first
no refined sugar was the second

whats the third? and the most important I might add

( I think it should be no drugs but is never said)

I never really caught that...there is alot of meaning and symbolism in this movie, alot to be said too. I think it didn't get the credit it should have. Do you guys not think it should be shown in schools? (with the exception of maybe the "ass-to-ass!" part) The refrigerator jumping at me would be enough to make me not want to do drugs or the infected arm.

I think the third step is
No orgasm. That is what I heard but cant remember where

I saw an online article about the guy who does the fake stuff for movies, he said the face of the diet pill lady was the hardest he'd ever done cause he had to make one for her to wear the whole movie until the end. He also did the infected arm of the heroine addict, if I find the link, I'll post it. It was pretty interesting.

Murderous Whirlwind of Wit
Yes, it truly was a melancholy mundane film expressed through the eyes of an incredibly diverse up and coming director. His diversity in style and framing, pacing, detail and theme make his work stand out incredibly. In case you have yet to see it, rent his 1998 film "Pi". A very underrated film which cleary depicts where his style stems from.

"Requiem" itself was a truly crafted and meticulously detailed film with an assort of underlying thematic messages. Did you take the time to watch the bonus features on the DVD? The reason I think the film was so successful, beyond the morbid look into the addictions that stray us in life, was because his unique ability to tell a story, visually. As simple as that.

Also his partner in crime, DOP Matthew Libatique, ASC, is a truly gifted cinematographer. His other successful work behind the lens consists of "Tigerland", "Phonebooth", "Gothika" and Aronofsky's breakthrough film "Pi". You can see his newest work in "Never Die Alone", if you are interested in that genre, though not appealing to my taste in cinema.

Let me know your insights.

peace!

Radio Raheem

"Don't believe the HYPE!"

Love this movie. I've got it on DVD but I've only seen it once maybe twice. Just leaves me feeling empty and quite sick. My friend told me its shot in a way to simulate a drug induced stupor. Figures! I love the music and yes Pi is a great movie too, very similar in the way its shot. I loved the performance of the mother and hell, even the Wayan brother shines.

I need to psyche myself up and watch it again sometime, because I've missed a lot by the above comments.

Originally Posted by daviy2000
I wanted to start a thread on this 2000 movie that follows the life of 4 Coney Island drug addicts. I just saw this movie for the first time a month ago on the Independant Film Channel, I found it to be very moving yet disturbing in many aspects. Even though it was given an NC-17 rating, (and edited rated-R version was made but the MPAA surrendered it to my knowledge) I believe schools should show it to 9th graders to keep them from taking drugs. We all went through DARE, which had to be the most pointless class in the world. I believe schools could using something as moving as this to get the point across. Anyways, has anyone actually seen this great movie besides me? What were your opinions on it?
I watched this movie because the director, Darren Aronofsky, had helmed a previous film that I enjoyed. Pi. Requiem for a Dream is one of those tales that starts bad from the very first frame, then gets regressively worse towards the end. It's a fascinating study on how and why certain people insert themselves relentlessly into horrible predicaments until there seems no way out.

One in particular-ly was fun
I totally agree with you that this film has to be shown in schools, I was just telling my friend that the other day. It really is a fantastic movie, it shows so well how your life just disintegrates when you have a drug addiction and I love the ending because it is so sad and pathetic and heart wrenching. This movie is so well directed and acted. I know I will never, ever touch heroin after this movie.

I've heard great things about this movie. Many great things. I really want to watch it inspite of the disturbing scenes and whatnot. Unfortunately, I don't know if I could stomach it. =/

I saw this back in 2001. Always found it to be a great film. It is one of those films that leave you with an empty sadness after you see it. The movie starts sad, gives you the impression that it may pick up.. but then it spirals down to horribly sad. Makes a great drunk movie!

I am currently studying year 11 at a school in Australia. There is a unique class that our school runs for year 12 only (which means you have to drop a subject to do it. You're not allowed to drop 'normal' english), it's called English Literature. It entails getting to school an hour early one day a week for a lecture and then attending regular "tutorials" during the week. Basically it goes deeply into philosophy, moral and ethical issues and generally well written books, plays and films ect. My brother is in the Lit class this year and they have just stared a unit with the movie "Requiem for a Dream" as one of their primary focus'. So basically it is allowed to be shown in schools. How do I know this? Because it's being shown at our school! If you're interested the other film that they have studied (bear in mind there has only been four weeks of school this year) is "Donnie Darko - The Directors Cut" which is also a brilliant movie.