Jean-Pierre Jeunet's "AMELIE"

→ in
Tools    

I'm buying it ASAP.
I wake up every morning and I smile now.
Amelie adorns my desktop. God bless DVD-ROM features.

I like to watch...
Oh yes...Amelie. Such a glorious film in every way. It makes me smile every time I think it...which is why I could not fathom why it did not win the Best Foreign Film Oscar. Such an obvious winner I can't recall...to me it was far superior to A Beautiful Mind and should have won Best Picture FULL STOP!!! But to not even win best foreign film was just plain BIZARRE.

No Man's Land (the film that did win) was a good film but in so far as having such an intricate, perfectly weighted script, sublime characterisation and great acting...it didn't come close. It may have been thought provoking but it certainly did not stay with me and enlighten me the way Amelie did.

Different strokes I guess.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by 21redd

Different strokes I guess.
Holden??

er...anyways, yes...I agree. It should have won best foreign movie, 'tis a shame.

I live in the UK and we have had it for ages. There was a big fuss, but it is poor really.

There was a big fuss, but it is poor really.
What?!
The film is poor, really?!

Pft!
I think your UK / French rivalry is clouding your mind a little, my friend.

Meanwhile, watched it for a second and third time within twenty four hours and each little bit still holds me and everything in the same way, each time. Mm. Love it.

The running through the street with the blind man.
Love it. Love it. Love it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The_El_man
I live in the UK and we have had it for ages. There was a big fuss, but it is poor really.
Hmmmm....yeeeeeeah. Poor. Okay.

What UK/Fra rivally!?!? I m not a politican or farmer talking about beef. I am talkin aboiut film. I like Taxi. Thats a French film.

What UK/Fra rivally!?!?
The soccor one...

...I'M KIDDING WITH YOU, MAN!

The fact that you think Amelie is poor has me worried about your mental state of mind all the same.

I like Gerard Pires' Taxi (1998) a whole bunch too. Unfortunately I haven't ever been able to track down the sequel here in The States.

And I agree with SB, the fact that you don't adore Amelie makes you seriously off-balance in some way or another. Consult a physician, to be sure.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

u dont wanna see the sequel, its poor. Well compared to the first anyway.

Yeah, I've heard the Taxi sequel isn't anywhere near as fun, but I'm still curious to see it just the same. I own the original Taxi, nice and letterboxed, so I'm not exactly hurtin' for a fix. I can wait.

if u cant get it imported it, or d/load it. If the movie comp gets annoyed serves them right they should release it in ur country.

Now With Moveable Parts
I think we still are all very curious as to what in the hell is wrong with you. Don't you even have a reason for your dislike of Amelie?

I'm with Sullivan...

WARNING: "Amelie" spoilers below
...it wasn't really necessary to have her jump into bed with this guy right away. It didn't feel anywhere near consistent with the rest of the story, or her character. Now, I imagine someone is going to jump in with "That's the point...it isn't like her at all," but there's a way to change for the better, and a way to change for the worse. The fact that she had sex with someone she's barely even spoken to, fairly-tale or not, just tainted it. The scene was touching nonetheless, though.

On the whole, of course, I loved this film. I don't think I can tell you why. I don't like it in any tangible way. I'll try, however, to explain my feelings on the matter...

The movie was wonderfully cast and the subtitles didn't bother me at all (which is a testament to the film's power...subtitles can make it all-too-difficult to forget that you're in a theater). I rather liked the layer of abstraction that the French provided. Don't ask me why.

Like everyone else, I'll sing Audrey Tautou's praises. She definitely had the "still a little girl at heart" attitude down pat. Kind of like someone else I know. The little games she plays are, I imagine, designed to induce both frustration and amusement in us. Amusement in how childlike they are, and frustration at the fact that she won't simply do what virtually any of us would: simply walk up to the person.

This, of course, makes the end a sort of release, or relief, of the pressure that was slowly, quietly building for most of the film. I loved the way it was executed.

In terms of comedy, I found the film surprisingly funny. I laughed, primarily, early on. The "he likes this...he doesn't like that" routine was brilliant. I'm sure more than one of us felt the urge to say "I like that, too!" I thought it was exceedingly clever. The opening, in my opinion, is the most well-made portion of the entire film. By the time it's ended you have, after five minutes or so, become entirely emotionally attached to the titular character. It was amazing.

The only REAL disagreement I can find with any of you is in regards to the mood of the movie: I did NOT find it overwhelmingly happy through and through. I found it surprisingly sad early on. This isn't a bad thing, of course, but until the end, I didn't think of it as highly cheery...just highly enthralling. Seeing her walking around her small apartment...alone...invoked a very paternal, protective instinct in me. I felt pity for her.

All in all, I found this to be one of the best films I've seen all year. I suspect I'll take the time to watch it again before long. A lovely, lovely film. I feel like a better person for having seen it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Yoda

The only REAL disagreement I can find with any of you is in regards to the mood of the movie: I did NOT find it overwhelmingly happy through and through. I found it surprisingly sad early on. This isn't a bad thing, of course, but until the end, I didn't think of it as highly cheery...just highly enthralling. Seeing her walking around her small apartment...alone...invoked a very paternal, protective instinct in me. I felt pity for her.

I think, Chris, that this just examples how sensitive you are (not that it's a bad thing. ). I really felt the movie was trying to show us that she was so absorbed in helping others that she completely failed at indulging in her own needs. The "game" she set up for that guy she liked, personified her whole life, and the tactics she uses to deal with things, like the gnome and her father. I absolutely fell victim to the mood of the movie and felt high on life for hours after watching it. I didn't find one thing the least bit "sad".

Well, by the time it was over, it had engrained a highly positive feeling in me...but there were a few moments throughout which made me feel sorry for her. Of course, you're right: she was worried about other people when she herself had problems that needed to be addressed...she doesn't want to bother with her own life, so, in a sense, she lives vicariously through the happiness of others.

It's a beautiful message, and a beautiful film. I'm genuinely surprised, though, that no one else felt pity for her as well early on.

Now With Moveable Parts
That's what I meant when I said you are sensitive. It's almost like the movie tried very hard to allow us to be close to Amelie, but to not feel like things wouldn't be alright for her. I think you however, picked up on something the rest of us didn't.
Amelie herself, is super sensitive (which maybe is the reason I don't feel sorry for her; a person with that much room for compassion doesn't need sympathy?). I love the part with the shop keeper and his employee.......
" Even artichokes have hearts."

How brilliant was this film? Goodness.

Five minutes in I knew I loved it.

That's a very good point: I worried about her, but never so much that I felt genuinely depressed...it never became bothersome. I never. I never doubted for a second that, one way or another, things would turn out alright. Yet, at the same time, I was still sitting in nervous anticipation of her meeting this man. It sounds like a contradiction, but it's not. I can't explain it.

I think the message at the end of the movie, however, was that even people dedicated to others have their own needs in the end...and everyone'll be better off it they attend to them. Though, frankly, I don't feel comfortable attaching ANY one message or moral to this movie...it's got too many wonderful things to say to declare one of them the definitive message of the film.

The more I talk about it, and read about it, the more I love it!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Yoda

The more I talk about it, and read about it, the more I love it!
Oh, absolutely.

You're right about not being able to attatch a single message to this film. I think it's just one of those rare examples of cinema that captures the essence of human nature. Which would explain why everyone just loves it, and for completely different reasons. It appeals to people on so many levels. My mom loved it, because she fell in love with Amelie. I loved it for it's "modern day fairytale" way of telling the story (The talking pictures, for crying out loud!). My dad loved it for all it's original camera work and style. Truely one of the best movies around.

I love it for it's "can't quite put my finger on it" nature. That's how it is for me. Sure, logically, I can see why I'd like it...but I can't quite describe why I'd LOVE it. I just do. It's similar to the opening, describing what various people like/dislike. There's no explanation, because none is needed: people just like or dislike things without definitive reasons sometimes.

Why would someone like the sound a bowl makes hitting a tile surface? I dunno...they just do. It's the same thing with this film: there's just something about it. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, even though the parts are magnificent.

Of course, I love it for a lot of other reasons, too. It definitely had the "fairy tale" feeling everyone's talking about.

You know a film's got your number when you're dying to meet the characters...