Movie Tab II

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
So does Primer rate? I'm waiting for it to get a bit cheaper before getting it, but can't tell if you (Pid and Tac) enjoyed that much.
Can't speak for Pidz and Tac, but I think Primer is a kick ass flick. It's very, very well written with great and real dialogue performed by a cast of first timers. Plus, it just gets inside your head and begs to be figured out. I think it's one of the craziest puzzles ever put to film, because you just know it all fits togethers, but trying to make it all fit together for you is half the fun.

It's a really great piece of incredibly low budget filmmaking. If you need a lesson on how to hide your budget, Primer is it. That baby only cost $7,000 to make, and on top of that only 4 minutes were cut from the total 80 minutes of shot film. Talk about a director knowing exactly what he wants...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by OG-
Can't speak for Pidz and Tac, but I think Primer is a kick ass flick. It's very, very well written with great and real dialogue performed by a cast of first timers. Plus, it just gets inside your head and begs to be figured out. I think it's one of the craziest puzzles ever put to film, because you just know it all fits togethers, but trying to make it all fit together for you is half the fun.
Maybe that's why I didn't like it as much as you. I thought the puzzle thing was a bit annoying. Maybe because I knew that I would never figure it out and trying to figure it out was boring.

It's a really great piece of incredibly low budget filmmaking. If you need a lesson on how to hide your budget, Primer is it. That baby only cost $7,000 to make, and on top of that only 4 minutes were cut from the total 80 minutes of shot film. Talk about a director knowing exactly what he wants...
This I wholeheartedly agree with. It looked great and you did get a sense of that the filmmaker and his team had a clear vision and were putting their souls into this.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste. Or brains...

Originally Posted by Golgot
Primer

Well okaaay. Conceptual to the max, but with some human tracks throughout. Was it Schrodinger's cat meets camera? Trust and relationships put through the blender? Back to the Future returned to sender? I'm still not sure.

Piddz, i listened to a bit of the director's commentary, and it seems the techno-babble is all relatively legit. His intention seems to have been to focus on the character's relationships throughout tho - he just wanted the words to be real, if incidental. Seems like an odd bloke all told. Reckon i'll listen to more of his musings later, if only to figure out how he autered his way into getting this film made. Lord only knows what kind of beast he'll create next
I just thought of that for me watching this film was like having a conversation with someone that constantly persist to whisper instead of speaking up. Not that I want the meaning spelled out ot me, I just want to hear the freakin' words!

I admire his effort to put so much work into details, but maybe those details stole the show a bit from the bigger picture? i don't know... I should probably see it again. OG- made me feel bad for not digging it....

Originally Posted by Tacitus
You didn't think it was as if those be-tied blokes from the IBM adverts decided to make a movie?

Lots of interesting ideas but dreadfully acted. I'd like to see what he does next though too.
It's almost as it was anti-acted. Again, like trying to listen to someone whispering in a noisy room.

Pi just came to mind. Is that one comparable to Primer? They're somewhat similar, aren't they. And both debuts too, right. Anyway, I love Pi....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
It's almost as it was anti-acted. Again, like trying to listen to someone whispering in a noisy room.

Pi just came to mind. Is that one comparable to Primer? They're somewhat similar, aren't they. And both debuts too, right. Anyway, I love Pi....
Yup, I preferred Pi too (or should that be Pi squared? Nah). The acting was better.

On a similar, micro-budget, Indie note:

King Kong (2005, Peter Jackson)

2.5/5

The special effects in this are, for me, both Kong's strength and downfall.

Many, many stunningly animated scenes but I got the feeling that Jackson has assembled such a talented group of boffins that he couldn't stop himself in showing off their expertise.

Disappointingly frequently there are just too many dinosaurs and too many huge creepie crawlies. They also overstay their welcome.

The character of the ape himself is, however, extremely well done but unfortunately can't save the show.

In the Beginning...
The special effects in this are, for me, both Kong's strength and downfall.

Many, many stunningly animated scenes but I got the feeling that Jackson has assembled such a talented group of boffins that he couldn't stop himself in showing off their expertise.

Disappointingly frequently there are just too many dinosaurs and too many huge creepie crawlies. They also overstay their welcome.

The character of the ape himself is, however, extremely well done but unfortunately can't save the show.
I somewhat agree - there definitely could have been less dinosaurs and creepy crawlies, and more substantial dialogue on the Driscol/Denham/Englehorn side to complement the depth between
Ann and Kong. But at the same time, I'm afraid if the film had been any less the spectacle that it was, then it wouldn't have been King Kong.

(It truly isn't as impressive on DVD as it was on the silver screen, and I think that's a testament to the kind of film King Kong is supposed to be.)

Cool Runnings (Turteltaub, 1993)

A little goofy and pretentious, but heartwarming on a rainy day.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Sleezy
I somewhat agree - there definitely could have been less dinosaurs and creepy crawlies, and more substantial dialogue on the Driscol/Denham/Englehorn side to complement the depth between
Ann and Kong. But at the same time, I'm afraid if the film had been any less the spectacle that it was, then it wouldn't have been King Kong.
The thing is - I don't think it would have been less of a spectacle. Just a tighter one.

In the Beginning...
The thing is - I don't think it would have been less of a spectacle. Just a tighter one.
I'll give you that.

If anything, it could have been a little easier on the rump.

Welcome to the human race...
Primer - 4/10

Too smart for me.

Downfall - 8/10

F*ckin'-A. This is more like it.

history *is* moralizing
Bringing Out The Dead, 1999, great performance by Nicolas Cage, and i liked a lot the experimental side of it all

stranger then a drunken mime
Antwone Fisher - 5/5

Still one of my favorite movies, directed by one of my favorite actors Denzel Washington.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by OG-
That baby only cost $7,000 to make, and on top of that only 4 minutes were cut from the total 80 minutes of shot film. Talk about a director knowing exactly what he wants...
Apparently most of those 4 minutes were lost thanks to the little numerical display they used near the start - it was taken from a set of scales, and it seems they mangled it when they ripped it out, so it never settled on the numbers they wanted. Kinda ironic, considering the DIY-tastic storyline

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I admire his effort to put so much work into details, but maybe those details stole the show a bit from the bigger picture? i don't know... I should probably see it again. OG- made me feel bad for not digging it....
It was a totally introverted affair all told. I think he'll have to learn to come out of himself a bit if he's going to grow as a film-maker.

I think the biggest barrier to engaging with the film might be the central theme he's trying to explore:
WARNING: "Primer" spoilers below
IE 'trust becoming impossible when personal responsibility expands to massive extent'. That's how he describes it in the commentary. The prob is - when does anyone have to face that problem? Unless they're a president or something? It's not something that's easy to identify with. Add in the cheeky recursiveness of the time-travelling stuff, compounded by the storytelling emphasis on context over conversation [when the context is shifting wildly] - and it all becomes a bit of an effort, with not quite enough reward at the end .

Ultimately, i didn't buy the actions of the director's character by the end - sure he's slightly deranged by time-travel etc now - but why go against your friend's wishes to protect the life of the girl that fancies him? (At least that's how i read the gun-party business). That's 'personal responsibility' gone mad. That's probably the weakest aspect of the story for me. Altho i still don't understand everything that happened in those final sections

Basically, i think he may have tried to do too much. He may have warped the project around himself too much. I think he just took us on a journey inside his head. And it's a weird place . Interesting to to visit tho

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
So does Primer rate? I'm waiting for it to get a bit cheaper before getting it, but can't tell if you (Pid and Tac) enjoyed that much.
Purely to see how a film pans out when a complex story is told almost entirely implicitely, with hardly any help given to the viewer at all, it's well worth watching. The budget and the pure auterishness involved mean the extras are worth a visit too.

It's ingenius, and it uses the time-travel aspect in an innovative way, but it certainly isn't entertainment on a plate. You've been warned

Like Tac says - PI is far more enjoyable - and is probably the better film too . Somehow Primer makes a story about understanding the un-understandable seem streamlined and straight-forward

Dead Poets Society - 3/5

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Guys and Dolls. I liked a lot about this, but...musicals are just weird. It's not the singing so much as the dancing...

A system of cells interlinked
Hostel (Roth, 2005) - Pretty damn shabby...

Signs
(Shyamalan, 2002) - One of M. Night's best...

Goodnight, and good luck - George Clooney
A decent flick, but nothing extraordinary. What was extraordinary was the story and Edward Murrow himself, an incredibly intelligent and brave person, his thoughts were like music to my ears. Putting it all on screen involved very little effort, just copy paste what Murrow said on his shows and you have an interesting film. Extraordinary performances by everyone apart from George Clooney. It may be just me, but just like with Leonardo DiCaprio, the man cannot transform into anything but himself. The only thing that changes is the lines he says. He stuck out like a store thumb amongst these excellent actors. Conclusion; George Clooney, just like Clint Eastwood, is not and will never be a great director. Decent yes, great, never. He just doesn't have it in him to make a truly great and original film. In my mind, he's merely a good craftsman, and it takes an extraordinary artist to make something exceptional.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Super Size Me (2004 - Morgan Spurlock)

Finally saw it. As film considered it's pretty mediocre, not as brilliant as The Conversation, original as The Yes Men or entertaining(?) as Bowling for Columbine. But the facts and the things we get to learn as well as the experiment and its results are shocking and an alarm bell.

Originally Posted by adidasss
just like Clint Eastwood, is not and will never be a great director.
I humbly disagree. About Eastwood anyway.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Lucky Number Slevin - 4.5/5 Real good. I went for Willis and Freeman and ended up leaving with Hartnett as well. Bravo.
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Originally Posted by 7thson
I humbly disagree. About Eastwood anyway.
i knew people were gonna focus on the Eastwood comment. to me, he's no different than Clooney, good director, but has yet to make a great movie....and probably never will.