Reviewing movies that are morally offensive

→ in
Tools    

Now I got this from a Cathloic newsletter and I am not saying if it is right or not I was just wondering if you argee or not! Below is the list of these movies!

"AMEN"(NO RATING)

"American Wedding"R

"Bad Santa"

"The Barbarian Invastion"

"The ButterFly Effect"

"Buffalo Soilders"

"Cabin Fever"

"Dysfunktional Family"

"Freddy Vs Jason"

"Gangster Number one"

"Hard Word"

"The Holy Land"

"Hotel"

"House of the Dead"

"In the Cut"

"Kill Bill Volume One"

There are alot more but I am too lazy to type them out that and I have no time so if you want to see this online go to A.D. Times.com!So do you guys argee or not?See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

I think close-minded idiots labeling things under the veil of their zealotry is morally offensive.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I think colse-minded idiots labeling things under the veil of their zealotry is morally offensive.
Agreed; but I think blanket dismissals like this are sometimes just as offensive. Surely a movie is capable of being morally offensive, and thus any generalized disapproval of the term in regards to cinema is just as close-minded as the zealousness it decries.

Didn't see it.
There are definitely movies that are morally offensive. There's nothing wrong with creating a list for like-minded people. It doesn't prevent anyone else from seeing them.

So why does people go ahead and write a list about the movies that are offensive. But seeing that these movies are MO people go see them anyway.
The more people tell others not to watch these peoples the more people want to see them! So the list in the way is geting more people to go see the movies for themselfs then telling people not to see them!

Wow I wonder why is it that like?That is so crazy!Anyway see you around!jm

That's kind of stupid. It depends on your morals....I guess some people just can't seperate fantasy from reality. No one is forcing anyone to see these so called "offensive" movies.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
They forgot a few offensive movies. . . let me add some:

The Gospel of John
-Do we want our children to see a man who ruffles religious people's feathers, make alcohol out of water, and actually sheds blood in this movie? Don't people know that blood is bad and children shouldn't see it?

The Lion King one and a half
-I'm starting an insects rights group over this movie!

There is a point to this: I'm a Christian man and when I read my Bible I read about a man named Lot who screws both of his daughters, a warrior named Samson who steals the skin off of the penis's of Philistines, and a story about a drunk named Noah telling God to curse his son for covering him up while he was drunk and nude after saving civilization. God inspired or not, the scriptures are pretty graphic and don't pull any punches. I don't want someone to say my Bible is inappropriate, evil, and shouldn't be read. So, I believe it would be hypocritical for us to put up a double standard there. Besides, if you pick anything apart long enough (even the Holy Bible) you're going to come up with something that will offend something (and if you don't. . . turn off the movie or put the book down cause it ain't worth your time).

BANNED
What about all those Bible movies? Many of them depict horrific acts of violence and debauchery... polygamy, incest, murder, bloodlust, etc. but I guess it depends on the context, doesn't it? What about all the Jesus movies, esp. the new one... The Passion of Christ? What could be more offensive than a gorey depiction of violence against God Himself? But, again, all this violence is at the heart of the religion, isn't it? Again, it's a matter of context...

When it comes to morality I believe it doesn't necessarily come from one particular religion, but from what the masses in a specific society deem appropriate. This is especially true in the U.S. because of our diversity, and since Catholicism isn't the dominant religious practice in this country how can they say to everyone else what is or isn't morally right? Each religion has different standards and rules that followers of it are expected to live by, e.g. Catholicism is obviously different from Buddhism, and many people don't even practice religion.

The fact that many of these movies were made in Hollywood studios, in America means that their morals can be somewhat skewed and awry and still have a wide audience that can choose whether or not they wish to see it. Just because some people don't want to see 15 heads chopped off very rapidly with a geyser of blood spewing forth, a drunken mall Santa Clause trying to commit suicide, or a moronic character in a gross-out movie eat dog-crap doesn't mean that people who may want to see them shouldn't have the chance. These movies are R-rated for a reason: to let people know that they might want to think twince about seeing them if they are a little squeemish or easily offended; no one is forcing anybody to see them.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a movie doesn't have anything at all offensive in it, then it's not worth watching. Life, by nature, is offensive. It is also painful, fun, exhilerating, depressing, and many other things. Movies need to reflect this aspect of life.

Originally Posted by suppression
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a movie doesn't have anything at all offensive in it, then it's not worth watching. Life, by nature, is offensive. It is also painful, fun, exhilerating, depressing, and many other things. Movies need to reflect this aspect of life.
I am not sure how to answear that question so I will not but good point!See you around!JM

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
Now I got this from a Cathloic newsletter and I am not saying if it is right or not I was just wondering if you argee or not! Below is the list of these movies!

"AMEN"(NO RATING)

"American Wedding"R

"Bad Santa"

"The Barbarian Invastion"

"The ButterFly Effect"

"Buffalo Soilders"

"Cabin Fever"

"Dysfunktional Family"

"Freddy Vs Jason"

"Gangster Number one"

"Hard Word"

"The Holy Land"

"Hotel"

"House of the Dead"

"In the Cut"

"Kill Bill Volume One"

There are alot more but I am too lazy to type them out that and I have no time so if you want to see this online go to A.D. Times.com!So do you guys argee or not?See you around!JM

Being a Christian for nearly 25 years now(you can tell by some of my posts that I'm quite liberal minded) and a avid cineaste, I realize that any film, whether from a major Hollywood studio or an independent company, no matter how morally offensive, has lessons to teach us. This includes films with similar plots, but different characters.
In the two films , Chasing Liberty and First Daughter, Mandy Moore and Katy Holmes play Anna and Samantha respectively. The President's daughter. Both have completely different attitudes about life and freedom and especially love. While Katie Holmes's Samantha is concerned about finding true love, Mandy Moore's Anna just wants to get laid for the first time. This is quite evident when she literally blackmails her "getaway" man Ben into sleeping with her. If not she'll sleep with someone else just to lose her virginity.

I'm curious as to whether or not the person who created the list actually saw all of those movies. It's always fun to read interviews with people protesting movies like Dogma, The Last Temptation of Christ, etc only to find out they haven't even seen the film. That's the type of hypocrisy I love

My Top 100 favorite movies.

A system of cells interlinked
Jackie was a very young kid, and most of her posts were just sort of parroting what she saw on other sites. Funny little kid though. Hasn't been around for a number of months now.

As for "offensive" films, I say the same thing that I always say about people getting offended:

If you don't like it, don't watch it

I don't feel any person has the right to decide if certain information is dangerous to me, they can't ever possibly know what is good for me and what isn't, they can just act like fascists and have me not listen to them, ever.

[EDIT] Ha!!, just re-read the thread title, offended mortals will be chiming in any time now.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
These movies are R-rated for a reason: to let people know that they might want to think twince about seeing them if they are a little squeemish or easily offended; no one is forcing anybody to see them.
This brings up one of my pet peeves actually. I think it's about time the MPAA sat down and really worked on revamping their system for ratings movies. A perfect example (IMHO) was 2002's Whale Rider. The dang movie was rated "PG-13 for brief language and a momentary drug reference." I'm sorry, this was a wonderful and moving film I would actually encourage my children to see, regardless of age.

I'll get off my soap box now

I can honestly say these movies have not effected my morals one bit...

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
This is especially true in the U.S. because of our diversity, and since Catholicism isn't the dominant religious practice in this country how can they say to everyone else what is or isn't morally right?
They are not saying this to everyone else. I get the Catholic News weekly and they are just warning other Catholics what movies are morally offensive. They are not telling us Catholics not to go, just to be prepared if we do that's all.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Garrett
That's kind of stupid. It depends on your morals....I guess some people just can't seperate fantasy from reality. No one is forcing anyone to see these so called "offensive" movies.
You know, you're right. I agree with Garrett on this one.

After rereading the title of the thread I thought I'd add that I will always be open to reviewing movies I happen to find morally offensive b/c I cannot know if they are offensive unless I've already seen the film. I try to avoid letting other people make decisions for me b/c I quite often disagree with what most people say. The most reliable way to determine whether or not a film is offensive is to actually see it, and if I've already seen it I might as well right a review.

I don't know about morally offensive-- but at least half of the movies listed were Creatively/Intellectually offensive (in my opinion)