Who here thinks that Religious Movies are not necessary?(Warning:Controversial themes

Tools    

Originally Posted by MOVIE_bug
Religion is just an idea.
So are hobbits, gremlins, ghosts, Spiderman, The Hulk, and a slew of other people/things. So I guess we should not allow those movies to be made simply because you can't prove they exists and/or they're not a legitamate, seeable substance? Movies were created to surpass the natural, to immerse the audience in the abnormal and superficial. If you want reality than you're looking in the wrong place at the cinema, dude.Watch TLC or The History Channel.

The question shouldn't be, are religious movies necessary? It should be is religion necessary? If people stopped worshipping false idols like jesus and started doing other stuff that pleased them, we could be watching better friggin movies.

Originally Posted by sign'swasgood.....not!
The question shouldn't be, are religious movies necessary? It should be is religion necessary? If people stopped worshipping false idols like jesus and started doing other stuff that pleased them, we could be watching better friggin movies.
How is that the question? The question is a cinematic one, not a cultural one.

I'd also point out that societies based around a rejection of a deity have mostly crashed and burned spectacularly.

Originally Posted by sign'swasgood.....not!
If people stopped worshipping ... jesus, we could be watching better friggin movies.

Connect the dots for me. Bad movies exist because some people worship Jesus?

Wrong.

First, not everyone worships Jesus. So do explain the correlation, if youre able.

Second, those who dont believe in religion neednt watch religious movies if they will be offended. In fact, spread that across the board--no one need watch any movie that would offend them, for whatever reason.

Thirdly, the destruction, nay, gagging or supression of one train of thought or visual expression through the movie medium, just because guys like you are bothered by the existence of such deification/worship, is nothing more at day's end than a derogation of free speech rights.

(that was a really convoluted sentence. But as its Sunday, and I have to run out to church, Ill leave you to make sense of it! )

Maybe religion movies like End of Days or the Matrix sequels shouldnt be made.

I recently saw Passion Of The Christ as well. I thought it was well done and portrayed the story quiet visually. So I went back and checked out a few other religious type films like King Of Kings and Jesus Christ Superstar. But then for the hell of it I rented The Passion Of The Jew (South Park) and it had some good points in it as well like. If a movie maker wants to show how Jesus really ones why always make films just about how he died. Why not make films about the guy himself rather than just showing the last hours of him. I thought that was pretty good idea cause alot of the religious films out there about jesus follow basicaaly the last 24 hours of Jesus and thats about it.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by The_Elephant_Man
If a movie maker wants to show how Jesus really ones why always make films just about how he died.
Crackheads DON'T go to Heaven.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Religion is a very contraversial subject...so is politics.
Many great movies have been made with religious themes or political themes. I am not a religious person...maybe a bit spiritual (there's a huge difference). But I have enjoyed the religious concept of some movies. The Ten Commandments is a great movie. I also am not a political person either..my boyfriend is however, and i have seen some great political movies..Nixon, starring Anthony Hopkins is one of them.
Movies are suppose to be for pleasure. It is your choice whether or not to watch a movie. And most movies will have some sort of religious connection. Any movie featuring Heaven or Hell is religious. Any satanic cult movie is religious. If a person prays in a movie there is religion there. If someone swears...thats taking the Lords name in vain.... Like mack said "no one need not watch any movie that offends them" .

Originally Posted by gummo
...thats taking the Lords name in vain...
Saying, "Gawdammit" isn't taking His name in vain. Saying, "I swear to God" is. Both are used in films a lot.

I think I'll start boycotting immediately.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Saying, "Gawdammit" isn't taking His name in vain. Saying, "I swear to God" is. Both are used in films a lot.

I think I'll start boycotting immediately.
Isen't it pronounced God damn it?

Originally Posted by gummo
Isen't it pronounced God damn it?
I was trying to be politically correct.

Isn't isen't pronounced isn't?

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
what exactly is a Pagan?
A pagan is someone who worships or believes in the Devil. It’s a nicer way of saying satanic.

As for movies such as these they are all forms of entertainment some ridiculously not relevant and others we can relate to. Take director Steven Spielberg for example most of his movies are personal to him, some movies are simply another medium to tell or express feelings, or showing something like a painter or any artist.

that's not really true at all...it has nothing to do with satanic anything...it's just someone who doesn't believe in one god...that's all it is...but that's all i'll say on the matter...

The question itself shows the bias of the asker. Why not ask "why make movies about racism"?

there are a few good films concerning racism, white man's burden, black like me,carbon copy, cry freedom, etc.....i said it at the beginning of this thread and i'll say it again...a film is an art form like a photo or a painting...it's an expression of one's views and mind....

I was being sardonic. The logical extension of what I am saying was said in the second post in this thread. 'Why make movies at all?' My point was, the original poster has a inherent bias against religion to even ask such a question. Ultimately, every topic is permissible.

I'm back, un-n00bified.
I am an aithest and i do not think they are necessary and the people across the street, who bought the passion, beg me to see it. I always say no