Dramas That Foresaw The Future?

Tools    

Executive Decision (1996)

This is one of my favorite action movies, and while not a dead on prediction, it bore some eerily similar scenarios to the 9/11 attacks in 2001 that would follow 5 years after the movie.
First and foremost: Islamic terrorists utilizing a hi-jacked jet liner as a weapon against the USA - don't want to give too many spoilers away, but this plan is not apparent at first.

The terrorists seem to be conducting a standard hi-jacking in exchange for the release of political prisoners (much like what was told to passengers on the planes on 9/11 and which was picked up on radio transmissions on the ground before the planes were turned into missiles).

But the real plot is to use the plane itself (and its cargo) to attack America directly. The big difference between the movie and reality is the terrorists have loaded the plane with a nerve agent that can take out half the eastern seaboard (they don't intend to just fly it into a building, but have the result be a much more major disaster even than that which occurred using 4 planes on 9/11).

Lots of other similarities to situations that happened in the future. The movie ends with a much better resolution than what happened on 9/11. It is fiction after all. As a movie (due to its plot, cast, pacing and action) I give it five stars - I call it the "Die Hard" of Airplane action movies!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Soylent Green (1973)...you can now actually buy Soylent products in different tasty flavors!
I keep telling myself to check out this movie, and always seem to forget.

Probably the most prophetic movie ever was this:

Marooned (John Sturges, 1969)

The fictional story of three NASA astronauts stranded in Earth orbit after their retro rocket malfunctions, leaving them marooned with no way back and little oxygen.

Marooned is unique in that it's about an Apollo type mission to an orbiting space station in present day (1969) Earth. What's fascinating about the film is that it was actually released on December 11, 1969, that's only months after the first astronauts had landed on the Moon, July 20, 1969.....And, Marooned was made before the ill fated Apollo 13 mission, which was launched on April 11, 1970. Apollo 13, would experience an eerily similar fate, foretold first in this movie. Citizen Rules

Captain Steel told me about this movie, I don't think another movie came so close to telling a story that would come true in the near future.

Doctor Who. A couple of examples being the Doctor's granddaughter mistakenly thinking Britain was on the metric system in 1963, correcting herself with "It hasn't come in yet"; and the mention of a female British Prime Minister in Terror of the Zygons (1975).