Coming 2 America

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Just read in Deadline that Eddie Murphy is set to reunite with Craig Brewer, who directed Murphy in the upcoming Rudy Ray Moore biopic Dolemite is My Name, for the sequel to Coming to America. Paramount Pictures is set to offer Brewer the directing gig.

The original script by the writers of the original film is being redone by black-ish creator Kenya Barris, who will also serve as exec. producer with Eddie Murphy producing.

The film is to have Akeem, Prince of Zamunda, learning he has a long lost son, forcing him to go back to America to find the new heir apparent. Murphy is hoping to bring back Arsenio Hall, Shari Headley, John Amos and James Earl Jones for the sequel.

This might just do nobody any good.
Does anyone else feel like Trading Places would be a much better sequel prospect?

Ummm...where did this son come from? We documented Akeem's entire trip to America and he did not have sex with anybody, except for Lisa (and even she was a maybe) whom he ends up marrying.

The premise seems forced and illogical, but whatever.

Bring back the entire cast and I'll definitely watch this. Hopefully, it turns out really funny and not lame like so many sequels to classic comedies have turned out (Dumb and Dumber To, anybody?)
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
uggghhh. 80's Eddie no longer exists.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
uggghhh. 80's Eddie no longer exists.
He will never do anymore good movies, his last good one was Bowfinger.

I love the smell of movies in the morning
nooooooooooooooooooo. why (money obviously, but it will probs fail)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Comedy sequels that came way too late never seem to do well.

Suspect's Reviews

A bucket of anxiety
I heard about this on Twitter and my first thought was, "Who the hell wants to see that in 2019? (or 2020 now, even worse)," then I read the plot and I'm like, "That doesn't make sense, the entire point of the first one was that Akeem wanted a genuine lover, not just someone to have sex with. It was the servant who was sleeping around. Is that the so called twist or...?" Now, you're saying the person who came up with "Black-ish" is a part of it? I'm sick to my stomach thinking of what a disaster this is going to be.

I heard about this on Twitter and my first thought was, "Who the hell wants to see that in 2019? (or 2020 now, even worse)," then I read the plot and I'm like, "That doesn't make sense, the entire point of the first one was that Akeem wanted a genuine lover, not just someone to have sex with. It was the servant who was sleeping around. Is that the so called twist or...?" Now, you're saying the person who came up with "Black-ish" is a part of it? I'm sick to my stomach thinking of what a disaster this is going to be.
I agree. Coming To America was always intended to be a stand-alone comedy film. But in today's age of Hollywood's obsession with remakes, reboots, and sequels, and with Eddie Murphy in what appears to be a desperate need of a comeback, this is where we're at.

The movie's plot doesn't make sense to me either. Akeem did not sleep around while he was in America in search of a bride, unless he did but all that was left out of the original film.

The movie could be a complete disaster, or a surprise hit. I guess we'll only really find out next year.