Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

I don't think I know of it, no. I'm finding one from 2010, but nothing about it seems familiar. And I'm pretty badly versed in horror films after 2000.

I think that's the one. It takes place in Africa. If "zombie movie set in Africa" doesn't ring a bell, then you probably haven't seen it.

Victim of The Night
Challenge accepted!
Just kidding. Yall are making quite a persuasive argument here. I'm hoping this is the first Wan film I can enjoy without qualifiers.
I dunno, I'm sure there are people that think it sucks. I just don't know why they would think that. I'm not saying it's a horror classic but it's a good time if you don't fight with it.

Victim of The Night
Given that Wan has yet to indicate he has even the slightest bit of originality in his films, and is potentially less a director than some kind of algorithm that hacks into the most obvious reflexes of every horror genre he tackles, I would suggest he might just be trying on another shoe with Malignant here.

No, I haven't seen it, but what I know of what he has previously done with the haunted house film (nothing), and how what he thought grindhouse revisionism needed was some Marilyn Manson video aesthetics (it didn't), I'm hoping throwing a bunch of random violence and absurdity at the screen isn't all he thinks a Lucio Fulci film is (of course it is).
I was pretty much just waiting for you.

Victim of The Night
Given that Wan has yet to indicate he has even the slightest bit of originality in his films, and is potentially less a director than some kind of algorithm that hacks into the most obvious reflexes of every horror genre he tackles, I would suggest he might just be trying on another shoe with Malignant here.

No, I haven't seen it, but what I know of what he has previously done with the haunted house film (nothing), and how what he thought grindhouse revisionism needed was some Marilyn Manson video aesthetics (it didn't), I'm hoping throwing a bunch of random violence and absurdity at the screen isn't all he thinks a Lucio Fulci film is (of course it is).
I don't think it is a Fulci film. Are people saying that? I think that's incredibly reductionist, Fulci was really like the fourth filmmaker I thought of when watching this.
But I'm convinced you're gonna write this movie off too, I'm just waiting to hear the particulars of your dismissal.

Victim of The Night
I like the movie, but I would say there are definite qualifiers, if like
me you have a strong aversion to the early 2000s style that the movie traffics in during its first act. (I feel like people sometimes forget
how bad that era was for studio horror movies.) But even that section is interesting in seeing Wan pour his not insignificant technical prowess into something most people would call "bad". It took me until the second act to really get into it, as at that point it was mixing up tropes with enough glee and actually matching the narrative thrust of the movie to its visceral style to work on its own giddy level.
Definitely agree about the first act, but I really enjoyed that. I got a kick out of him winking at those films and then easily recovering from them.

A system of cells interlinked
Definitely agree about the first act, but I really enjoyed that. I got a kick out of him winking at those films and then easily recovering from them.
Yep, it was really just about 15 minutes or so before I figured out Wan was most likely trolling everyone from himself, to me, to maybe Glenn Danzig and even Crumbsroom. Now that I think of it, Crumbs might be Glenn Danzig. I guess we will never know.

It is usually on about the third or fourth day of this that I feel like it is time for a little Bloodletting. So let us enjoy The Vampire Song.
Because you were a vampire and, baby, I'm the Walkin' Dead.

It is always a good time for The Bloodletting, love doing this song at Karaoke and a bunch of places I've done it even have a spooky overlay for the song and lyrics as opposed to normal bland presentation most songs have.

I wanted to like Malignant more but for all the pretty shots and weird **** on screen it felt like it was directed by someone who can mimic what they want but not imbue it with real life. I almost always felt at an arms length emotionally to everything going on, when things kind of go gonzo at the end I started to enjoy it a little more but that fact that I and the people who were watching largely figured out the "twist" very early in the film even that lost a bit of it's lustre. Not bad, not boring, but not exactly great either.

My favorite Poe story as a youngster.
Arthur Rackham was my favorite Poe artist as a youngster, and his illustrated Tales of Mystery and Imagination is one of my very oldest and favorite books.