The Conners

Tools    

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it wasn't until watching season 4, episode 2, that I noticed that Sara Gilbert is now the executive producer for this show, which as much of television history has proven is the beginning of a show's downfall. MASH became a crashing bore once Alan Alda became executive producer, but I really don't want to see the same thing happen here. This episode was kind of all over the place, but had its moments. First of all, were we really supposed to believe that Becky is only three years younger than Patton Oswalt's character. And I really hate going here, but I don't believe for a minute that Roseanne kept a Bible in a kitchen drawer for nine seasons and I don't believe that when she was going through her knee pain and her addiction that she turned to God. This reveal just went against everything we know about Roseanne Conner...there, I said it. I hope Darlene doesn't give up her struggle for answers or her struggles with Ben. And I'll be the first to admit that I didn't understand Mark's statistics
joke either.

First of all, congrats to Michael Fishman (DJ) for making his directorial debut with ep 3, but my issue's with last night's episode had nothing to do with the direction. As a recovering alcoholic myself, I found the glossing over of Becky's recovery process offensive. I know it's just a sitcom, but even a sitcom has the responsibility to portray a program that millions struggle with on a daily basis with a modicum of accuracy. First of all, Becky has no sponsor and there has been no mention of her getting a sponsor...this process is impossible to do by oneself. Becky said she was working on step four, a fearless moral inventory and then she said she was up to making amends. Between the moral inventory and making amends are four other steps. I also don't think Becky working at the Lunch Box turned sports bar serving alcohol is a great ides for her recovery. I know it's just a TV show, but recovery is a serious thing for a lot of people and I am of the opinion that the only way to legitimize the mistakes in last night's episode is to have Becky relapse sometime before the season is out.

Ep 4 featured strong work by Katey Sagal and John Goodman as Louise began to crack under the pressure of wedding plans. Well, Becky did relapse, but the way they did it was a cop out, not to mention how it was all of a sudden conveniently mentioned that Becky has an invisible sponsor. We need to say Becky's sponsor work with her for this recovery process to be believable. Ben and Darlene acted like children, but I think they still love each other and that kid playing Mark really needs to eat a cheeseburger.

Ep 4 featured strong work by Katey Sagal and John Goodman as Louise began to crack under the pressure of wedding plans. Well, Becky did relapse, but the way they did it was a cop out, not to mention how it was all of a sudden conveniently mentioned that Becky has an invisible sponsor. We need to say Becky's sponsor work with her for this recovery process to be believable. Ben and Darlene acted like children, but I think they still love each other and that kid playing Mark really needs to eat a cheeseburger.

When Becky relapsed, it reminded me of the episode of "Mom" when they all ate Adam's brownies and got high. Marjorie explained to them that they didn't go back to "step 1" because they didn't intentionally get high, so it didn't really count as "falling off the wagon". It seemed like Becky did the same thing here because she didn't know that she was drinking alcohol, but here she said that she was back to step 1. So which one of these is accurate in this situation?

And about Ben and Darlene, I never thought that Darlene deserved Ben, so I'm kind of glad that they broke up, but the way they did it made it awkward for him to stay on the show. He's one of my favorite characters on the show, so I hope they find a way to work it out so he stays on the show without them getting back together.